Any experience with Samsung Odyssey Plus & DCS yet?

fargo007

Running the F/A-18C Instant Action "Free Flight" over Caucasus as my benchmark, with SteamVR forced to 100%, ASW in the Beta set to On with the code update, and DCS in-game PD only set at 1.2...and I can't even hold a steady 45FPS on this very basic mission. I get constant stuttering any time I move my head or roll, and FPS drops into the 30's.

Settings that matter: 2x MSAA, 2x AF, Shadows Low, Terrain Shadows Flat, etc.

I just got it yesterday and it's been super frustrating so far, but I'll keep tweaking it tonight.

This morning I reran (in some cases for the 3rd or 4th time) all of the recommended tweaks scattered throughout this thread for DCS settings, and other NCP/SteamVR tweaks found on many forums for WMR settings. Also, I reinstalled Steam, SteamVR and WMR for SteamVR. Lastly, I deleted my DCS Saved Games folder and populated a new one.

I set everything to High, Shadows to Low, Terrain Shadows to Flat, MSAA to 2x, AF to 8x, sliders right of center and in some cases all the way to the right (can't recall exact values right now) and tested from PD's between 1.2 and 1.4.

My FPS are now in line with where they were with the Rift (i.e. they still suck, bc DCS in VR is a nightmare for FPS in general, but they are manageable). 45FPS in SP for the most part with some slight dips, anywhere between 25-45FPS on MP. I personally still don't see the in cockpit clarity increase, but I do see an improvement in clarity at a distance from the increased pixel count. Maybe my eyes are still adjusting and the cockpit clarity will come once they've adjusted?

Anyway, here is a copy/paste from a review I left on Reddit:

Mine arrived on Monday and I am coming from a Rift.

Despite plenty of pre-prep, setup was a pain in the ass. SteamVR sucks compared to Oculus. The WMR ASW is inferior to the Oculus ASW, etc.

I felt the same as you regarding resolution, except I don’t see any real improvement in terms of clarity up close — for me, this means text readability in the cockpit. That is pretty much a wash for me, perhaps due to the haze created by the SDE filtering? Further away there is a slight clarity bump due to the increased resolution, for sure. That is nice.

Colors are better. Blacks are blacker. Both very nice.

Tracking is fine for me as I sit in a cockpit stationary and only need head-tracking really. Never touched the controllers.

Sweet spot is definitely smaller and harder to keep. Looking at angles with my eyes is blurry on the edges, worse than the Rift.

Rift is definitely way more comfortable. I think the design of the O+ with my head makes the sweet spot harder for me to find than others (maybe).

The headphones suck ass. I never used the Rifts, took them off immediately so I could use my open cans...I hate the O+ headphones. Need to figure out how to neatly remove them so I can go back to using my real headphones instead of these trash ones.

Happy to see things trending in the right direction for me re: FPS and hoping my eyes adjust and I can see the "wow" inducing increase in cockpit clarity many have experienced :thumbup:

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I turned shadows off (from flat previous) and it's a huge performance boost. So much so that I've now got the PD up to 1.5 and it's STILL pushing 45's most of the time in MP, including in tight formation with two other helicopters flown by guys in my squadron.

When I look out the side of a helicopter or the Harrier, there's no image dragging whatsoever. It's dense, colorful and very responsive.

I've flown for four hours with it this way across two nights in MP in both FW and RW and I'm happy with it.

With eye candy like this, I am happy personally to forgo the shadows.

I'm staying where I'm at for a while, and for the first time I can state that I'm having an overall superior experience to the Rift.

In terms of fit/comfort, I'm nosy. I've removed the rubber nose piece whole. It snaps out, but hangs on for dear life and screams for mercy when you disconnect it. I also put a piece of velcro in there as a soft nose bridge bumper. I like having a tiny bit of keyboard visibility. I've also successfully attacked the light bleed by separating the mask off its velcro backing, and just letting it float. I could insert something in there to keep it like this, but it's so little trouble I haven't gotten to it.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

This morning I reran (in some cases for the 3rd or 4th time) all of the recommended tweaks scattered throughout this thread for DCS settings, and other NCP/SteamVR tweaks found on many forums for WMR settings. Also, I reinstalled Steam, SteamVR and WMR for SteamVR. Lastly, I deleted my DCS Saved Games folder and populated a new one.

I set everything to High, Shadows to Low, Terrain Shadows to Flat, MSAA to 2x, AF to 8x, sliders right of center and in some cases all the way to the right (can't recall exact values right now) and tested from PD's between 1.2 and 1.4.

My FPS are now in line with where they were with the Rift (i.e. they still suck, bc DCS in VR is a nightmare for FPS in general, but they are manageable). 45FPS in SP for the most part with some slight dips, anywhere between 25-45FPS on MP. I personally still don't see the in cockpit clarity increase, but I do see an improvement in clarity at a distance from the increased pixel count. Maybe my eyes are still adjusting and the cockpit clarity will come once they've adjusted?

Anyway, here is a copy/paste from a review I left on Reddit:

Happy to see things trending in the right direction for me re: FPS and hoping my eyes adjust and I can see the "wow" inducing increase in cockpit clarity many have experienced :thumbup:

could you please tell me which adjustments did you do?in nv control panel and others?

or where to read for it?

Thanks

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

I turned shadows off (from flat previous) and it's a huge performance boost. So much so that I've now got the PD up to 1.5 and it's STILL pushing 45's most of the time in MP, including in tight formation with two other helicopters flown by guys in my squadron.

When I look out the side of a helicopter or the Harrier, there's no image dragging whatsoever. It's dense, colorful and very responsive.

I've flown for four hours with it this way across two nights in MP in both FW and RW and I'm happy with it.

With eye candy like this, I am happy personally to forgo the shadows.

I'm staying where I'm at for a while, and for the first time I can state that I'm having an overall superior experience to the Rift.

In terms of fit/comfort, I'm nosy. I've removed the rubber nose piece whole. It snaps out, but hangs on for dear life and screams for mercy when you disconnect it. I also put a piece of velcro in there as a soft nose bridge bumper. I like having a tiny bit of keyboard visibility. I've also successfully attacked the light bleed by separating the mask off its velcro backing, and just letting it float. I could insert something in there to keep it like this, but it's so little trouble I haven't gotten to it.

what cpu are you running?

I’ve tried Shadows at Flat many times, and just can’t deal with how it looks — the cockpit looks SO much worse, that in the end it’s not even worth it for me. I’d love to snag those FPS but can’t deal with how terrible it looks.

Virus, I’ll post the changes I made later today when I have a free minute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

could you please tell me which adjustments did you do?in nv control panel and others?

or where to read for it?

Thanks

NCP:

• Power: Prefer Maximum Performance
  • VR Prerenders Frames: 3
  • Texture filtering – Quality: High Quality
  • Texturing filtering – Negative LOD bias: Clamp

Nothing else was changed from stock, as I don't believe it impacts DCS in VR. I'm not sure the last two do anything, either, but saw them in a Project Cars 2 thread and people seemed to think it really helped there...

SteamVR:

• Both SS settings are set/forced to 100%
  • ASW tweak is set to be always on via the file edit, "motionvector" I believe it is
  • Unchecked Enable Advanced Supersampling Filter

Renamed DCS Saved Games to "xxx.backup" and let DCS create a new one. Added the IC compatible VR mod and deleted fxo and metashaders2 folders. Loaded up, selected "VR Present" and tweaked from there, from memory I've changed the following:

• PD to 1.4 in DCS
  • Both of the first two textures set to High
  • Water to High
  • Visibility to Ultra
  • MSAA 2x
  • AF 16x
  • Clutter to 0
  • Trees to 80%
  • Raindrops ON
  • Global Cockpit Illumination to OFF

Using the fpsVR app for SteamVR, I flew around in the DDCS server today around Senaki/Kutaisi/Kobuleti where the war was waging -- an area that has historically been the 100% hands down most demanding area of the any of the maps for me. By a long shot. After a 39 minute session, I averaged 39.x FPS. I expect that as I test further in other areas of the map it will show that I am much closer to 45FPS on average, on the most demanding MP server. I'll take it for now, but the testing/tweaking shall continue for certain.

FWIW, I am clearly CPU limited, per the SteamVR Frame Analyzer tool and the fpsVR tool. The CPU is the cause for the vast majority of frame drops, and it is bottlenecking the Core % Usage of my GPU by 20-30% essentially at all times.

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

have you tried setting VR pretenders to 1 or 2?

it feels like there is less latency with control inputs being visible with the lower numbers.

Haven't noticed the latency at 3, so no need. yet :thumbup:

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

@=Buckeye= did you try to turn off MSAA?

I have before, always turn it back on bc I don’t like how it looks without it.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Ill have the Samsung OD+ this friday ill be comparing to Rift and OD original.

:thumbup:

It takes a little while to get used to, but once you do and you get everything dialed in, it is an outstanding Gen 1.5 HMD. Might be a little smoother of a transition for you given you already have the OG Odyssey, it took me a bit of adjusting coming from the Rift exclusively.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Just returned my Samsung O+ after one week usage.

The reason is simply O+ is not comfortable compared with CV1. No doubt the anti-SDE is great but still there is no a big "WOW". O+'s tracking is basically OK, but still cannot reach the level of CV1.

The QC is not good, there is a black bad pixel in the center of right lens.

Next try maybe Pimax 5K+....

13700k @5.6GHz | 32GB DDR4 4000MHz CL14 | ASUS Z690 TUF  | GIGABYTE RTX4090 Gaming OC | Samsung 970PRO 512G + 980PRO 2T

GIGABYTE M32U | HP Reverb G2

Warthog HOTAS | TPR | JetSeat | TrackIR5

Windows 11

i am giving up dcs in vr because with the monster i have i cannot have 45 fps in every situation with reasonable settings....and i some situations also without shadows i cannot.

It is incredible how another sim (can’t tell the name here but it is ww2) with the last patch gave an huge boost to vr performance and i can have 90fps most of the time with high settings...

i don’t complain against ED...dcs is a great sim and i love it...i will enjoy it in 2d and opentrack until they ship the promised vr optimization

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Just returned my Samsung O+ after one week usage.

The reason is simply O+ is not comfortable compared with CV1. No doubt the anti-SDE is great but still there is no a big "WOW". O+'s tracking is basically OK, but still cannot reach the level of CV1.

The QC is not good, there is a black bad pixel in the center of right lens.

Next try maybe Pimax 5K+....

D3Magic, Curious about the dead pixel. I understand you sent it back for other reasons. Did you happen to email and Samsung and ask what there policy is on dead pixels? Reason why I ask, some screen manufacturer's that I have read and researched have expectable amount of dead pixels they will let go that is consider a good product.

This experience is mostly thru LCD tv and computer monitors. Sucks that it was in the center.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No, I didn't check the pixel policy. I doubt there is already such policy regarding VR lens. I am afraid that they will use LCD's standard. In my country, I think total 5 bad/bright/dark pixels are allowed if you buy a LCD display.

Actually you will almost never notice it when playing games. You can see it only when you stare at a pure light background around that pixel.

13700k @5.6GHz | 32GB DDR4 4000MHz CL14 | ASUS Z690 TUF  | GIGABYTE RTX4090 Gaming OC | Samsung 970PRO 512G + 980PRO 2T

GIGABYTE M32U | HP Reverb G2

Warthog HOTAS | TPR | JetSeat | TrackIR5

Windows 11

My Rift is heading to the Bay this weekend After settling in with the O+ I am REALLY enjoying it and actually getting decent performance given the high settings I am running.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

My Rift is heading to the Bay this weekend After settling in with the O+ I am REALLY enjoying it and actually getting decent performance given the high settings I am running.

Same here, love the O+.

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

Yep, the Rift is on the shelf. The O+ is in the number 1 spot.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I'm thinking of getting the O+

Does anybody run a similar system with anything above potato settings? Maybe after ED optimizes DCSW...

GTX1070

1Tb Samsung SSD

32 Gb DDR 3200 ram

I7 7700 4.2 Ghz that is water cooled

I'm retired so upgrades are pretty much off the table. She Who Must Be Obeyed watches the spending closely.

:smilewink:

I7-7700K 4.5 GHz / RTX 2080 Ti / 32Gb RAM / 1Tb 850 Evo SSD / Win10 Pro / TM Warthog / Crosswind Pedals / Odyssey+

Can you share your settings...I’m getting 30 and a similar PC and components as you...

I didn’t overclock it yet...too nervous as I’m not a PC guy and don’t want to damage it

I have a i7 8700k too.