[ALREADY REPORTED] Viper FCS "Death Rattle" Question

November Charlie

Hey all,

I just wanted to query a thing I've found with the Viper at Low altitude (at or below 300ft, although in the vid it happens up to 2500ft), and at high speeds (650-700)<. I have found that in these conditions, the Viper initiates a wobble, similar to an Underdamped door which increases in severity as it continues, in straight and level flight, during acceleration, deceleration or sustained speed (it always ends in decel as the viper strays left and right as seen below). It looks as if the rudder is attempting to correct a minor oscillation but underdamps and starts oscillating around the velocity vector. This behaviour can be seen below. This was performed at between 2/3 fuel and under.

Would this be considered normal behavior for the Viper IRL? The I have not noticed this in any other aircraft, and I am wondering whether this is an anomaly in the FCS or an actual noted real world problem with the aircraft. It has been noted by various other sources that the Viper can fly in autopilot under these conditions with the LANTIRN pod, which makes me think that this may be an anomaly within the DCS FCS coding? Would much appreciate clarification.

I noticed this while using terrain masking while out for CAP, and as such when I took out the airframe for some envelope pushing and familiarisation, I recorded the above footage.

Cheers,

Charlie.

Edited by November Charlie
Formatting; Fixing Youtube Link; More detailed info.

"Ah" = "lol whoops"; "Oh" = "I've made an irreversible, fatal error"

I say "Oh" rather a lot. I also own too many modules.

My Youtube Channel

[OCG][TFD]

This has happened to me a couple times and as recently as tonight. Originally I thought it might be ground effect from heat rising in the hot desert..... seriously lol. However, no other module does it. It happened tonight when running from 31's while Winchester. When I was able to climb up again, I realized my stores of 4 CBU97's hadn't dropped when I hit emergency jettison earlier.

I know you're not supposed to approach Mach speeds while CAT3. Having 4 CBU97's is definitely CAT3. You will break the pylons if you do. I don't know your total loadout as I didn't watch the video but at least in my case that was the problem. I've flown low and fast in it many times now and only experienced the problem twice. That's my guess anyway.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

This has been reported previously. The current FLCS has some areas of dynamic instability at high speeds. You are overspeeding the plane by quite a margin before the oscillations start, so i'm not sure if it is that much of an issue.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

The load out in the video was clean, no weapons. As sobek states, I was over speeding the airframe (max speed was 0.25 M over the max speed (1.25 M) at the fastest point, but about 0.08M over at most points. It’s good that it’s been reported because this kind of *FLCS* (not FCS sorry) could very well black out the pilot if even slight stick inputs are applied.

Cheers guys,

Charlie

My Youtube Channel

[OCG][TFD]

What I did notice is even below the max speed the instability was happening, not to the over speed degree but enough to climb out and drop speed out of worry of killing the aircraft if I descended. I’ll record some more instances of it happening when I have the time for reference. I also originally thought it was ground effect but I think that dynamic instability sounds about right in this case.

Thanks again,

Charlie

My Youtube Channel

[OCG][TFD]

pimp my viper hahahahaaaa

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.