Carrier ops

JRM

But why this plane has a tailhook indicator, real F16 can go on carrier ops and for that DCS has to do so.

The F-16 cannot land on a carrier.

Many US Airforce (F-15, F-22) fixed wing aircraft have tailhooks for emergency landings.

Having a tail hook is not indicative of a carrier operable aircraft.

But why this plane has a tailhook indicator, real F16 can go on carrier ops and for that DCS has to do so.

Being the F-16 an Air Force jet, I'm not seeing any realistic operational reason whatsoever, for it to land on a Navy Aircraft Carrier.

You can see from small details, i.e. its landing gear form ( comparing with the F/A-18 ), that it wasn't designed to withstand the stress of carrier landings.

As far as I know the F-16's tailhook is there for emergency landings at... land bases.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Here are a few vids which nicely show why the F-16 has a hook:

and F-15:

Edited by ams999

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

Well I guess even a real F-16 might be able land on the boat... once. With a flat enough glideslope, the gear still could take the landing, but the airframe would need a massive overhaul afterwards most likely. Maybe it wouldn't work due to the geometry of the hook not being suitable, remember the naval planes are designed to land at certain AoAs and glideslopes so that the hook will be just in place when you fly the ball - an AF plane might not fulfill these criteria. It's definately not designed for doing that, but saying it'd be impossible simply is too easy to be true. I hope we'll see those barrier arresting systems one day in DCS though.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Well I guess even a real F-16 might be able land on the boat... once. With a flat enough glideslope, the gear still could take the landing, but the airframe would need a massive overhaul afterwards most likely. Maybe it wouldn't work due to the geometry of the hook not being suitable, remember the naval planes are designed to land at certain AoAs and glideslopes so that the hook will be just in place when you fly the ball - an AF plane might not fulfill these criteria. It's definately not designed for doing that, but saying it'd be impossible simply is too easy to be true. I hope we'll see those barrier arresting systems one day in DCS though.

It can be done, if done by me.

I'm such an outstanding pilot, that I can land anything anywhere...

Screen_191026_215321.thumb.jpg.4f6e0e1fd610d8a0f63a7f643708fc4d.jpg

Screen_191026_215346.thumb.jpg.9296d5daf132ef086231e3885b448b85.jpg

Screen_191130_222813.thumb.jpg.c54d2a10035defd4529348a1474e7112.jpg

Screen_191130_222852.thumb.jpg.1056edb9eafd01d54aa0fd9c6570422b.jpg

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

Well I guess even a real F-16 might be able land on the boat... once. With a flat enough glideslope, the gear still could take the landing, but the airframe would need a massive overhaul afterwards most likely. Maybe it wouldn't work due to the geometry of the hook not being suitable, remember the naval planes are designed to land at certain AoAs and glideslopes so that the hook will be just in place when you fly the ball - an AF plane might not fulfill these criteria. It's definately not designed for doing that, but saying it'd be impossible simply is too easy to be true.

The truth is quite simple. The F-16 landing gear was never designed to take the abuse of a carrier landing. Neither was the landing hook designed to take a carrier landing. Any way you slice it landing a normal F-16 IRL on an aircraft carrier (assuming it could even engage the arresting cable) is going to result in major damage, if not complete destruction, of the aircraft.

It doesn't matter what people can land on the carrier in DCS. That isn't real life and they also don't use the arresting hook system when landing aircraft like the F-15. Being able to do that in a sim versus real life are two different animals entirely.

The video showing the BAK system in action should tell you all you need to know. The aircraft is already firmly planted on the landing gear prior to engagement so there would be very little, if any, stress added to the landing gear. Because that system would also be engaged at the far end of the runway the aircraft is also travelling at a slower speed when it hits the arresting cable. Also you get to hear and see the BAK system take a LOT longer and farther to stop those F-16s than could be feasible on any aircraft carrier deck. That is to limit the amount of force the F-16 arresting hook has to absorb in the process.

I hope the hook is modeled correctly.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

I'd be surprised if the Navy even let the Viper land on the boat.

In my younger days I actually asked a few Viper pilots about it (got plenty of groans and eye-rolls btw).

First, correct, the air boss would never clear a Viper to land on the deck. No way no how.

Second, a Viper pilot would never ask anyway. If for whatever reason an F-16 absolutely had to land and the only available asphalt was a carrier deck, they’d punch out. It wouldn’t even be a point of consideration or debate, they’d punch.

Both of those points were unanimous among the pilots I asked (maybe four or five over the course of my enlistment).

That being said, of course I’m going to try carrier landings once our 16 gets a functional tail hook!

Edited by SonofEil

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

In my younger days I actually asked a few Viper pilots about it (got plenty of groans and eye-rolls btw).

First, correct, the air boss would never clear a Viper to land on the deck. No way no how.

Second, a Viper pilot would never ask anyway. If for whatever reason an F-16 absolutely had to land and the only available asphalt was a carrier deck, they’d punch out. It wouldn’t even be a point of consideration or debate, they’d punch.

Both of those points were unanimous among the pilots I asked (maybe four or five over the course of my enlistment).

That being said, of course I’m going to try carrier landings once our 16 gets a functional tail hook!

Yeah, about what I figured. Better to let the pilot ditch it instead of landing and taking out some Hornets and maybe some lives.

Buzz

Being the F-16 an Air Force jet, I'm not seeing any realistic operational reason whatsoever, for it to land on a Navy Aircraft Carrier.

You can see from small details, i.e. its landing gear form ( comparing with the F/A-18 ), that it wasn't designed to withstand the stress of carrier landings.

As far as I know the F-16's tailhook is there for emergency landings at... land bases.

Just to be clear the F-16 has and is being operated by the U.S. Navy. Reference the F-16N and NAWDC. I say this because if you make a blanket statement like that may bring your whole statement in question and for the sake of informational accuracy to those who are unaware, especially when they find a photo of a F-16 covered in Navy Insignia.

That said however, it never has land on a Carrier, unlike the C-130 or U-2 (an Air Force plane). Using the F-16's Arresting Hook will almost certainly result in airframe damage of some kind, and is there only to stop the A/C in case emergencies as you stated, such as brake failure so the A/C doesn't go off runway that would very likely kill the pilot. I do think there should be some damage modeling to that affect, to prevent a similar situation we have with F-5s clogging up the Flight Deck.

F16 Isn’t designed for carrier ops so never...

+1000000000 :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

cpu:I7-6700k Z170 16GB Ram DDR4 Gtx 1080 8Gb DDR5 11GBs SSD 500 Gb 2 HDD 1Tb Evga supernova G2 850w Case Bequiet series 800 Silent base Win 10 pro 64 bit

My wishlist: F-35/B-17G/F4U Corsair/Yak-3/P-40B Tomahawk

Whether an aircraft is operated by the US Navy and whether it lands on a carrier are two separate things. You don't see many P-3 Orions landing on a carrier do you?

Also, relevant song:

Right. That was my 2nd point that being operated by the Navy or Air Force has no bearing on being Aircraft Carrier Capable or not. 1st was that an F-16 isn't exclusively an Air Force Jet.

I'd be surprised if the Navy even let the Viper land on the boat.

They wouldn't.

They'd tell the pilot to fly near the carrier, punch out and then go pick his ass up in a helo.

Crashing the F16 into a carrier is no ones interest. And yeah you loose the jet, but the other scenario is loose the jet, loose the pilot, and **** up a bajillion dollar carrier. There is no real world scenario where its gonna happen. Of course this is DCS, so have at it. I've landed all sorts of shit on carriers that has no business being there (the mig21 is an ahmazing naval fighter, and the Viggen makes a fine substitute for the A-6 (plus its faster)).

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

They wouldn't.

They'd tell the pilot to fly near the carrier, punch out and then go pick his ass up in a helo.

Crashing the F16 into a carrier is no ones interest. And yeah you loose the jet, but the other scenario is loose the jet, loose the pilot, and **** up a bajillion dollar carrier. There is no real world scenario where its gonna happen. Of course this is DCS, so have at it. I've landed all sorts of shit on carriers that has no business being there (the mig21 is an ahmazing naval fighter, and the Viggen makes a fine substitute for the A-6 (plus its faster)).

Funnily enough you've reminded me that i've been meaning to try landing a Viggen on a carrier deck but haven't yet got around to it. I have managed to put the Viggen down on the F1 circuit in the Persian Gulf map before fairly comfortably (also managed to land a Hornet there but that was considerably hairier and definitely only a success in the 'walk away' sense).