Marianas islands Map

Silver_Dragon

Shame the thread went down the road of arguing the difference between far-fetched, reasonable, possible, probable, unreasonable, imaginative and so on.

You are obviously corect...but tell me that developing the Kurils and Sea of Okhotsk wouldn't have involved similar Water/Land ratios...little need for details land assets for placement and been a hell of a lot more relevent for US/Russia cold war scenarios (which is what our current plane set fits best)

Airbag_signatur.png

You are obviously corect...but tell me that developing the Kurils and Sea of Okhotsk wouldn't have involved similar Water/Land ratios...little need for details land assets for placement and been a hell of a lot more relevent for US/Russia cold war scenarios (which is what our current plane set fits best)

the thing is, that does not even matter. there were probably some areas of the world that would have been suited, but at some point it just comes down to personal preference...

Shame the thread went down the road of arguing the difference between far-fetched, reasonable, possible, probable, unreasonable, imaginative and so on.

At this point it's really just individual. I can absolutely guarantee that thousands of people do have the ability to enjoy the map concept despite limitations. For which, there are so many, in all of DCS, as to render the concept of playing anything with authenticity extremely restricted. And believe me, we could drag the conversation down from global orbats and geopolitics, right to the DCS simulation of radar and ECM and chaff code to find some kind of argument over realism. It's just not worth it though. Somethng has to give way for realism at every step.

As for assets, you have to start somewhere. Who would deny that the P-51 raised eyebrows and no one knew what to do with it at launch? But should we wait until the entire Luftwaffe were modelled before flying it? Or just some planes, the exact number being... 42? We could repeat the arguments over the 109K model, the P-51 Korean version or even the F-16 version and start talking about what combat these things saw and flew in. Do I have a right to be disapointed at the choices? Sure. It gets my OCD flowing that I can't essentially get Harpoon 3 down in DCS on a map with some relevant combat, but you know, we have all managed up until now and this map only gives us more tools, not less.

Being disappointed with the exact way ED develop is an excercise in futility. One can counter-argument every time with opinion and stand quite safely in a defensible position because that's an opinion. But the only real loser is the person that cannot make good use of what they are given in life.

If the Spanish can claim Guam in 15-whatever it was in randomly blown canoes, the Chinese/Russian/Korean/Martians can capture it in 2020. Just to make this absolutely clear, I haven't yet decided if a joint Swedish-Chinese coalition will already have possesion of Guam in their Red and white Viggens, before the US arrive in their P-51's led by the Grim Reapers talking in Farsi.

Absolutely all of this

I'm glad rocks are finally starting to look like rocks. I hope ED continues on making the terrain resolution better, with more fine, granular detail. Anyway, this is going to be a great map for low level helicopter flying!

I hope this free map will be more populated on servers, its dissapointing to see that there's always relatively few people playing on PG or nevada.

Sure is!

And with the detail, they can now, if we add up the area of all the islands in the Marianas we get to just over 1000km^2 of land area, and over half of that is Guam by itself. The area is tiny compared to the rest of our maps, so it should allow for much greater detail, while all together having a much smaller object count. It should also mean that all of the landmass is detailed, unlike in our current maps. The only other thing there besides the islands is water and, fingers cross here, a low-resolution but accurate depth map. I mean even if you scale this map up past 400x400km to something mad like 2300x1300km without necessarily impacting workload or performance significantly (you're just adding more water, and more depth map - which can be done pretty low-res)

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Pretty stoked for this map for many reasons! I lived there as a kid and tried my best to get back there while flying the -135 on active duty. Many of my sqn mates went, and I went to a ton of cool places in the pacific (like Wake Island for example) but I never made it back to Andersen.

Thanks ED- I'll put it to good use.

The map is actually quite good for naval ops and amphibian warfare. Sure we need more red naval assets and better naval systems modelling but so far the islands position is great for a "top vs bottom" campaign, were China could invade Saipan because they want to expand into the pacific, or if you prefer the Reds to be the good guys, maybe the blue force is building a missile launch base, like a Cuban crisis.

Also, it will be a great opportunity to use all of those big planes like Tu 22M, Tu95, Tu142, B1, B52 in patrol dutie or long range missile launches. They don't need to take off from the islands, they can come from other bases in the mainland.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Map would be GREAT if DCS had the A6M Zero and (one of them) the Corsair/F6F/P38.. but the next logical map was Korea as we already HAVE the two best jets of the Korean conflict! Would have been nice.

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 551.76 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3374 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

Served 18 months on Guam, Anderson AFB . . this map will be good for sea ops . . creating missions to attack ships . . all other islands in the area are friendlies . . great place for a practice bombing range and carrier ops.

Was in 8th Air Force Crash Rescue, we bombed Vietnam everyday, 24/7 Dec 69 thru May 71 when I was there.

Lots of Naval and Air Force history played out in these islands . . rains there every day.

Chopper

bauer-211.jpg

bauer-158.jpgkayla quick net worth

bauer-244.jpg

i7-7700K 4.20Ghz | GeForce GTX 1080Ti DUKE | ASUS Maximus IX Hero Z270 | Samsung 960 | Corsair CPU Cooler | G.SKILL 32GB | Oculus VR Rift | Saitek PRO Pedals & TM HOTAS Warthog Throttle & Joystick |

I mean you're not wrong on map choice, but not much of consequence happened there in WW2 (and yes I know about the russians at the end).

Also, the bulk of our plane set is about decade and half after the cold war and most cold war assets are in FC3. Maybe some sort of Redux scenario over it.

I mean China v US is the "hypothetical" scenario this is setup for (though date wise its unlikely) and it sort of sucks there aren't many naval units for that unless I missed something or deka releases that Chinese asset pack to go with it.

But even there its LOL worthy to claim something like the Liaoning launching J-15's that have to pick fuel or missiles or the Kuzenestov and SU-33's is on the same "balanced" level as a fully functional US CVBG . And I say that as respectfully as possible, since I would love to see both the Liaoning and a J-15 in the game and full fi SU-33.

Overall though, I think ED is going to have seriously improve the naval end of the game for this map to make any "realistic" sense in the modern era. Currently the ship damage models, naval AI, and general naval warfare modeling today are pretty poor and thats putting it generously. I hope the supercarrier module raises the bar in those regards besides being a neat place to TO/Land from (I.e some sort of fleet level AI, where you can place a CVBG and it does CVBG "stuff" without being super scripted)

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I think a much more plausible modern scenario for these Island is US forces taking them back with Harrier, Huey, 18, and 14 with red starting with the islands. And not asking how they got them... There just aren't the red navy assets to threaten them in game and the real life threats to these islands are strategic bombs and missiles.

I'm really happy about the map but it will take a fair bit of suspension of disbelief.

I think a much more plausible modern scenario for these Island is US forces taking them back with Harrier, Huey, 18, and 14 with red starting with the islands. And not asking how they got them... There just aren't the red navy assets to threaten them in game and the real life threats to these islands are strategic bombs and missiles.

I'm really happy about the map but it will take a fair bit of suspension of disbelief.

Yeah, my take as well.

The most "realistic" scenario I can think of...

"The US experiences the worst grain harvest in 50 years"

"Marianas sold to whoever for grain shipments"

But now a few years later its payback time! And we are sending "the fleet" (cue patriotic music)

Maybe we can get Dolph Lundgren and Jackie Chan to play the bad guys too (or maybe the good guys).

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

ED, I am a fanboy since the first piece of the flanker series, but what a waste of ressources. . . sorry. . . no one needs that. never heard before that this island is ever existing in real world. . . why no area with historical background, e.g. cold war, balkans. . . i dont need a holiday map.

Keep in mind a map like this has been specifically requested for a number of reasons. It allows for a large map to be made quickly and also allows for very high detail on said large map.

It's an excellent choice for DCS honestly. Historical background, as desired as it is, isn't a requirement for map (though arguably this map has some anyway).

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Keep in mind a map like this has been specifically requested for a number of reasons. It allows for a large map to be made quickly and also allows for very high detail on said large map.

It's an excellent choice for DCS honestly. Historical background, as desired as it is, isn't a requirement for map (though arguably this map has some anyway).

I think its a great choice for a WW2 map, if we had some actual WW2 naval aviation assets (yes I know, F4U coming soon ).

Modern map in the sense of DCS modern (Cold war-2012 or so) Terrible choice. But a map is a map, and I'm sure since its like 99% water it will be good performance wise, and after all the griping is done, someone will imagineer a decent "fictional" scenario or two. Maybe we can pretend dramatic global warming happens in 1986 water level rise and its Iceland or something for a RSR scenario.

Grenada and Saipan are pretty similar...

giphy.gif

tumblr_oi5gv5X5yw1usyygio1_500.gif

gunnery2.gif

Grenada is about 2x the size of saipan, but point taken :music_whistling:

Served 18 months on Guam, Anderson AFB . . this map will be good for sea ops . . creating missions to attack ships . . all other islands in the area are friendlies . . great place for a practice bombing range and carrier ops.

Was in 8th Air Force Crash Rescue, we bombed Vietnam everyday

Wow Chopper...Thanks for your service. Tons of respect...<S>

I was Vietnam era Navy but served stateside 4 years plus with Fleet Marines.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

And being easy to model ocean (most of the map) is a bonus for development ease.

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Modern map in the sense of DCS modern (Cold war-2012 or so) Terrible choice. But a map is a map, and I'm sure since its like 99% water it will be good performance wise, and after all the griping is done, someone will imagineer a decent "fictional" scenario or two. Maybe we can pretend dramatic global warming happens in 1986 water level rise and its Iceland or something for a RSR scenario.

Though, from a Cold War standpoint, Iceland and Guam are almost identical scenario wise. Both islands are a similar distance form Soviet bases and would have to be defended against Soviet bomber strikes. A Soviet amphibious assault of both islands would have been about equal likely (or unlikely). What would you expect to do with Iceland that you can't do with Guam?

Both islands are a similar distance form Soviet bases and would have to be defended against Soviet bomber strikes

Its nearly twice as far from Vladivostok to Guam as it is from Murmansk to Iceland - oh...and look at the map rather than open ocean you have to pass enclosed waters off Japan...

hardly the same is it? (Ignoring the size of the Pacific Fleet and the lack of capacity of Airbases for housing Backfire/Badger Squadrons)

Airbag_signatur.png