Dummies Guide for the “MonitorSetup.lua“

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone and PeterP...

I play DCS World in 1680x1050 pixels and have nothing wrong with "Control Indicator".

When I switch to 3046 pixel for multi-monitor, Control Indicator moves in the middle of the main monitor (shown in atached image).

Have you got any idea and/or solution about this?

Thank you.

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

I don't have only a Idea - I wrote it already down...

link-list of the Guide page 17:

Triple-head/Multi-Monitor GUI and NVG Fix

• a “must read” for you

>>>How to move/resize the Controls Indicator:

OK, Pitbull- You are a lucky guy!wink.gif - I had a some time on my hands for a deeper look - and I found the right triggers that are responsible for the placement of the control indicator in the cockpit-view. smile.gif

(BTW : I took me only 7min to find the right lines..wink.gif be warned that will also change the position of the CTRL-Indicator in the "HUD-only" view")

... here we go:

First go to

DCS:BlackShark 1.1.1.1:

\DCS Black Shark 2\Scripts\Aircrafts\Ka-50\Cockpit\ControlsIndicator

DCS: A10C 1.1.1.1:

\DCS A-10C\Scripts\Aircrafts\A-10C\Cockpit\ControlsIndicator

than open

ControlsIndicator_page.lua

with a proper Editor (>>> Notepad++)

CTRLindicator.png

Than edit the size in line #14

>> local size = 0.15 -- 0.30 nearly doubles the width/height of the default one

and position in line #43

>> base.init_pos = {X-position,Y-position} -- both values can be decimal and negative

I made some quick testing and instead of posting lots of pictures that show nearly the same; I copied each different position into the same screen.

I made notes which values are used for each position.

baseinit_posandsizeexample-1.gif

Now you should know enough how to create your own desired spawn point of the CTRL-Indicator.

Keep in mind than you have to use different values on diffident resolutions

(...Up to now I not fully aware what exact logic triggers the spawn-point.

But up to now I can say that when moving the indicator (size 0.15) from x0 to x1 -it will equal 384 pixels and all values are bound to the centre of the XYjoystick position cross.).

See...

Its a whole different thing compared to moving the Radio-menu tongue.gif

Tip:

First set the wished Size - and than place it where you want it. - Because resizing it will change the relative position again , and you have to start over again.

...Please change the file path in the instruction above according DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\Ka-50\Cockpit\Scripts\ControlsIndicator .

Edited by PeterP

Actually I read all of them. (Thank you again for all works). Ok, I can move the Control Indicators. But I'm afraid it goes to Mars when I switch to 1 monitor setup.

Thanks again. I'll struggle something. :)

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5

try to use a relative value instead a absolute .

Like "screenwidth*0.2" (<< this is only a example!!! I don't know if this works -I didn't checked)

So the spawn point of the indicator window is always relative to your screen-size.

So that it should work on every monitor as long the control indicator isn't bigger than your screen.

I wish you a happy editing and please drop a post in the appropriate thread to share your findings - so others can benefit form it :).

Edited by PeterP

try to use a relative value instead a absolute .

Like "screenwidth*0.2" (<< this is only a example!!! I don't know if this works -I didn't checked)

So the spawn point of the indicator window is always relative to your screen-size.

So that it should work on every monitor as long the control indicator isn't bigger than your screen.

I wish you a happy editing and please drop a post in the appropriate thread to share your findings - so others can benefit form it :).

All right. Not necessary to edit coordinates. I've found it. It's about aspect ratio. But, in fact, it's just me!!!

It's OK when resolution is 1680x1050 px. (my main monitor), aspect ratio seems as "16:10".

And when I change resolution to 3046x1050 px. (two monitors), aspect ratio automatically goes to "2.9009523809524"

Eeer, mmmm, I don't know why, but I was changing it to "16:10" each time. Shame on me!. :) (Hard to explain why)

Now, control indicator keeps its original position, if I leave aspect ratio as it should be.

But, but, this is a success for me. Because I did lots of calculations. And I realized that this problem must be a ratio issue and (later) must be connected with aspect ratio. :) So, I didn't touch Aspect Ratio value in Options/Graphic Page. And It's done...

Ok. That's the story. Talked too much. :D

Overall, thank you. Take care yourself...

Wow, PeterP...I must say.

What an asset you are for the community. I did some searching for multiple monitor setup and your name pops up all over the place. You are just amazing :thumbup:

Dummies guide downloaded and read. Thx alot!

PeterP, excellent work! But (always has a but...) I have a Q. I went through on all of your pages and I still pending with my problem. I wanna use 4 monitors in the way of 2 conected directly to VGA, and 2 USB LCD (Samsung U70) as a TM Cougar ones. The problem is that my Win 7 64 does not recognise the second USB. If I disconnect one, the other works etc. I tryed all connection possibilities with the same results. Can you advise me what or how to set up the 2 USB (it would not hurt me if I have to give up one of my flat screen).

Thanks in advance.

that is as driver issue of your "virtual graphics adapter" - some vendors simply forget a function to support two monitors of the same model at the same time.

Look for better drivers or sell one to get a monitor with different drivers.

ask samsung for a solution :)

PeterP. Thanks for your quick respond. I do not want to sell even if it's a good idea. I thought the same, that my sys is not able to recognise two sets of this stuff. But after a long research I found out that 7 sets of this U70 can run at the same PC. So I need other solution.what kind of drivers can be usefull? Cheers!

• 4 months later...

The Lua looks legit.

maybe you set your in-game res wrong (you need 2960x1050 in the options screen of DCS) and/or the desktop properties needs to be readjusted.

Please read the guide again - it's all explained and the link-list will give additional hints/solutions.

Lot of people also forget to use Windowed Mode and not Full Screen

Honestly, I am surprised to still see people not being able to just read the guides and so many already posted threads on this topic, if something doesn't work and you think it should, need to track back what you did, recheck few times even for things you are sure you got right... lot of times something really stupid was the issue like a typo, forgetting to change res or full screen/windowed mode.

Edited by Kuky

No longer active in DCS...

...and your windows-properties desktop layout looks like ???

Further : Is there any error massage - what exactly happens and what do you see when using your custom lua?

See, no one of us can look over your shoulder - we only have the info that you post here.

And writing "It doesn't work/no luck" only rises new questions without answering anything.

Edit:

...just forget about this I don't have nerves to do this all over again!!!

There are basically only 3 steps:

#1 : make yourself clear how you want to use your monitors for DCS and write a Lua for it .(you have done this already and your lua is OK)

#2 : Set your desktop to the needs of your lua in the windows desktop properties

#3 : Start DCS , go in to the options, and choose your Lua and resolution(type it in) and run windowed.

That's it !

If something doesn't work, start at #1 once again and/or check the link-list in my guide for troubleshooting.

Edited by PeterP

yes exactly! so once again:

Is there any error massage - what exactly happens and what do you see when using your custom lua?
----------

anyway:

use this lua:

_ = function(p) return p; end;

name = _('corrected MultiMonitor');

Description = 'MultiMonitor'

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 1280;

y = 0;

width = 1680;

height = 1050;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.6;

}

}

LEFT_MFCD =

{

x = 0; -- or 50 , it's your decision

y = 50;

width = 400;

height = 400;

}

RIGHT_MFCD =

{

x = 500;

y = 50;

width = 400;

height = 400;

}

UIMainView = Viewports.Center

My changes to your original lua are marked in Bold.

Now it will work.

;)And do yourself (and me) a favour:

Please look somewhere up what the x/y values mean regarding pixels on a monitor layout -this info will help in the future immense when you change something in your configuration

Edited by PeterP

Ok I will try this setup! and when I lunch the simulation it runs normal on my main monitor (1680x1050) no errors reported but also no mfds on secondary monitor...

now back to the lua file! ;)

[sIGPIC]D:\avioni\razno\potpis 1 orao.jpg[/sIGPIC]

-1280x1024 is your main and 1680x1050 is extended ? Right? (same as your picture)

- you want the Cockpit in the 1680x1050.Right?

-you have set dcs to 2960x1050 and windowed. Right? Edit: and " Disable Aero-interface " is un-checked ?

- You used my corrected lua to the dot . Right?

Please provide a picture of your options GUI.

And hello to Clyber too!

Edited by PeterP

-1280x1024 is your main and 1680x1050 is extended ? Right? (same as your picture)

well I think that there is a problem!!! I wont to 1680x1050 be main monitor...think that my PC can't recognize which monitor is left or right...sorry but my english can not explain the exact situation...:cry:

edit: hmm monitor nr.2 should be my main monitor, isn't it!?

Edited by Lulac

[sIGPIC]D:\avioni\razno\potpis 1 orao.jpg[/sIGPIC]

I wrote a lua exactly for your provided desktop layout picture with the left as Main.

1280x1024 monitor is left and Main

1680x1050 is right and extended

And it will not work when you change it....

Is this your actual configuration ? - if not - please tell me more.

And what is with the rest of my questions in post #48- please answer them. Heck! I'm no mentalist!

----

Lets start at the beginning.

Your Video card and system specs?

How are the monitors aligned physically in front of you?

What do you want to see on which monitor?

Edited by PeterP