The DCS Updater / Launcher GUI Utility Version 2.0 (2023+)

Hi SkateZilla,

i love your tool and use it to manage my DCS installations on my PC, aswell as the DCS installations on my squadrons server.

Since one of the newer versions it's not possible anymore to patch another instance of DCS when DCS is running (doesn't matter which instance).

I'm not able to select other Builds if one DCS is running.

Can you change that behavior so the stable version of DCS can be running and i'm still able to manage and update the open beta instance of DCS with your tool?

That also applies if a instance of DCS updater is already running (can't patch beta + stable at the same time)

That would be awesome!

Thanks,

Marsy

Edited by Marsy

Ryzen 9 3900X, GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO , 32 GB RAM, Valve Index

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Visit us on Facebook

Hi SkateZilla,

i love your tool and use it to manage my DCS installations on my PC, aswell as the DCS installations on my squadrons server.

Since one of the newer versions it's not possible anymore to patch another instance of DCS when DCS is running (doesn't matter which instance).

I'm not able to select other Builds if one DCS is running.

Can you change that behavior so the stable version of DCS can be running and i'm still able to manage and update the open beta instance of DCS with your tool?

That also applies if a instance of DCS updater is already running (can't patch beta + stable at the same time)

That would be awesome!

Thanks,

Marsy

You shouldnt be running and patching DCS at the same time, nor patching 2 builds at thge same time.

will have to double check, but I'm pretty sure there will be some conflicts in doing this, at least the updating two builds at once behavior

The Select Build Drop down was locked to keep builds from being changed while updater and DCS were running because changing it will mess up presets function.

But I am Looking into replacing DropDown menu's for Build with a different method that will allow dynamic renaming, and easier way to launch / update builds etc etc.

It'll still be locked so you can't run more than one build of DCS at a time, but it'll allow you to launch Updater/Modelviewer/ModelViewer2 across as many builds as you want.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

You shouldnt be running and patching DCS at the same time, nor patching 2 builds at thge same time.

will have to double check, but I'm pretty sure there will be some conflicts in doing this, at least the updating two builds at once behavior

The Select Build Drop down was locked to keep builds from being changed while updater and DCS were running because changing it will mess up presets function.

But I am Looking into replacing DropDown menu's for Build with a different method that will allow dynamic renaming, and easier way to launch / update builds etc etc.

It'll still be locked so you can't run more than one build of DCS at a time, but it'll allow you to launch Updater/Modelviewer/ModelViewer2 across as many builds as you want.

Follow up,

you should NOT be doing updates to 2 builds at a time, as they will download to the same folder and cause a lot of problems, I will likely not enable this ability on my app, as many users will assume they can simply do it without setting up multiple download folders for each build.

The Ability to Set Different Download Folders was also added after I chose to lock the drop down menu, so there's no way you could have been doing this prior to that without many problems.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Hey @skatezilla, mind if I make a little feature request?

In the settings page, there's a box in the lower right where it can launch certain applications that are handy to run in tandem with DCS. Might it be an idea to open that one up for custom apps and/or add VoiceAttack to it?

cheers, schurem

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

@skatezilla not sure if this the proper place for a issue reporting, but today after a month of having played, started up updater utility and said yes, then as per normal operation with most programs it initially failed because of the firewall. It would appear that the utility deleted the previous version before ensuring that the new was able to be downloaded. Was left with a 0b file

@skatezilla not sure if this the proper place for a issue reporting, but today after a month of having played, started up updater utility and said yes, then as per normal operation with most programs it initially failed because of the firewall. It would appear that the utility deleted the previous version before ensuring that the new was able to be downloaded. Was left with a 0b file

The App never deletes itself, simply renames with time/date stamp and moves to backup location.

/Saved Games/DCS Updater Utility/Backup/

I have a maybe dumb question. If I use DUG to manage graphics setting so that I can test different settings for performance and resolution, are the \fxo and \metashaders2 folders also backed-up, or do I need to manage these manually? or would that be completely unnecessary?

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Thanks for the quick reply :)

Do you know if it makes a difference?

I've read so many times, that if graphics are not as expected -- often while trying different settings -- to delete the contents of the \fxo and \metashaders2 folders.

Ofc that means, the next time going into mission, they have to be regenerated, which can easily take several minutes of staring at a blank screen or a distorted splash screen :cry:

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

@SkateZilla, maybe I've missed it in the thread above, but how come, every time I start GUI utility, I need to click SETTINGS and then "Verify DCS install and saved games folders" in order to get the LAUNCH and/or VR ON/OFF buttons to work?

Ive got 2 green lights at Status from the start.

Its not that it annoys me as much as Im starting to thing I've missed some kind of settings.

@SkateZilla, maybe I've missed it in the thread above, but how come, every time I start GUI utility, I need to click SETTINGS and then "Verify DCS install and saved games folders" in order to get the LAUNCH and/or VR ON/OFF buttons to work?

Ive got 2 green lights at Status from the start.

Its not that it annoys me as much as Im starting to thing I've missed some kind of settings.

Are you running the program as an administrator? If not, it won't save the settings.

Are you running the program as an administrator? If not, it won't save the settings.

Runs just fine without running as admin, no issues saving settings.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

• 2 weeks later...

@skatezilla well wasn't a big issue, point was that i was left with a 0b file and had no knowledge of a backed up file. Mind you this was back in the last release that used the SZGS Mini Updater, basically it hangs on the restarting application portion, but I gather this is all irrelevant as of now as you don't appear to be using the mini updater anymore.

SZGS Mini Updater is still being used in the new version(s), Just differently.

The issue was the App was not allowed to over-write itself, So it would hang. and then delete everything when it closed.

Bump

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello SkateZilla.

Apologies in advance because I'm experiencing problems that have been documented before but I am not PC savvy and need help.

I successfully installed and ran the utility once.

Now I get the .net framework error when I run:

a7ZgxtZ.png

And here is the log:

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'E:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World Beta 2.5/Config/Options.lua'.

File name: 'E:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World Beta 2.5/Config/Options.lua'

at Microsoft.VisualBasic.FileSystem.FileCopy(String Source, String Destination)

at DCSUpdaterUtility.Form_Main.FolderScanAndVerify()

at DCSUpdaterUtility.Form_Main.Form1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 4.7.3190.0 built by: NET472REL1LAST_C

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

DCS Updater Utility

Assembly Version: 1.1.0.1010

Win32 Version: 9.13.2018

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/DCS%20Updater%20Utility/DCS%20Updater%20Utility.exe

Microsoft.VisualBasic

Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 14.7.3056.0 built by: NET472REL1

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

System

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Core

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

System.Windows.Forms

Win32 Version: 4.7.3056.0 built by: NET472REL1

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System.Configuration

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

System.Xml

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

System.Runtime.Remoting

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Edited by Cellvictor

Question on setting up multiple configs (different resolutions, different system settings etc)

In the instructions, it states "-Click Browse, and Select your /DCS.<build>/ Saved Games Folder, for the first Build Slot, (repeat for 2-6 if you are managing more installs)"

So if I wanted to have different configurations, resolutions etc, I should

1) copy the current USERS\SAVED GAMES folder to USERS"Config1-SavedGames"

2) in the utilities "Saved Games Folder Path" point it to "USERS\Config1-SavedGames"

Is that right?

It seems to pass the "VERIFY DCS Install and Saved Games folder. But wasn't sure.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Hello SkateZilla.

Apologies in advance because I'm experiencing problems that have been documented before but I am not PC savvy and need help.

I successfully installed and ran the utility once.

Now I get the .net framework error when I run:

a7ZgxtZ.png

Caused By pointing the DCS Saved Games Folder to a DCS Folder.

There is no Options.lua in the DCS World Program Folder.

I may put more protection against this and exeption catches.

Question on setting up multiple configs (different resolutions, different system settings etc)

In the instructions, it states "-Click Browse, and Select your /DCS.<build>/ Saved Games Folder, for the first Build Slot, (repeat for 2-6 if you are managing more installs)"

So if I wanted to have different configurations, resolutions etc, I should

1) copy the current USERS\SAVED GAMES folder to USERS"Config1-SavedGames"

2) in the utilities "Saved Games Folder Path" point it to "USERS\Config1-SavedGames"

Is that right?

It seems to pass the "VERIFY DCS Install and Saved Games folder. But wasn't sure.

This would work in theory (having all builds use the same saved games folder). But you'd have to use a DCS saved games folder and not a Custom folder. as DCS itself would not see the folder without some modding. using DCS Variant TXT Method. in Which case folder name would be "DCS.<variantname>"

I point all my 2.5 installs to the same Saved Games folder in DCS and the App.

But pointing greatly differing Versions (ie 1.5, 2.0 and 2.5) or even 2.5 Early Versions and 2.5 Current Versions to the Same Saved Games path is not recommended as Values and Database Sections of the Files Change from version to version, along with Module Input and Input Function IDs.

In the future I will likely change the "source" of the Options.Preset01 Files from the Individual Saved Games folders to the /Saved Games/DCS Updater Utility/ Folder, allowing the same Presets to be used across all builds.

But the issue of Vastly different builds still comes into play, which is why I havent done it yet.

Edited by SkateZilla

Just found this!! Awesome tool. Great work!

I'm a bit confused about the Launch, VR/ON, VR/OFF buttons, and Options Preset selection.

I thought selecting the Options Preset: Default VR Headset, or just VR Headset and clicking Launch would be enough to select the VR settings and launch the game. So why are the VR/ON and VR/OFF buttons needed? I watched your video twice and didn't see these explained. Thanks.

Edited by Snacko

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Just found this!! Awesome tool. Great work!

I'm a bit confused about the Launch, VR/ON, VR/OFF buttons, and Options Preset selection.

I thought selecting the Options Preset: Default VR Headset, or just VR Headset and clicking Launch would be enough to select the VR settings and launch the game. So why are the VR/ON and VR/OFF buttons needed? I watched your video twice and didn't see these explained. Thanks.

Launch:

Launches DCS w/ VR Enabled/Disabled Based on the Setting that is set in DCS's Options Menu

Launch VR On:

Launches DCS w/ VR Enabled, Overriding the Setting that is Set in DCS Options Menu

(ie if VR is unchecked in DCS, but you want to launch to your VR Headset, you choose LaunchVR On, that way you dont have to launch DCS, Check the VR Checkbox, then close, and re-launch.)

Launch VR Off:

Launches DCS w/ VR Disabled, Overriding the Setting that is Set in the DCS Options Menu.

(if if VR is Checked in DCS, but you want to launch DCS to your Monitor and work on missions, etc, you choose Launch VR Off, instead of Launching DCS to your headset, unchecking VR in the options, then re-launching DCS).

Presets are mainly for Graphics Options, and not to force modes.

Launch:

Launches DCS w/ VR Enabled/Disabled Based on the Setting that is set in DCS's Options Menu

Launch VR On:

Launches DCS w/ VR Enabled, Overriding the Setting that is Set in DCS Options Menu

(ie if VR is unchecked in DCS, but you want to launch to your VR Headset, you choose LaunchVR On, that way you dont have to launch DCS, Check the VR Checkbox, then close, and re-launch.)

Launch VR Off:

Launches DCS w/ VR Disabled, Overriding the Setting that is Set in the DCS Options Menu.

(if if VR is Checked in DCS, but you want to launch DCS to your Monitor and work on missions, etc, you choose Launch VR Off, instead of Launching DCS to your headset, unchecking VR in the options, then re-launching DCS).

Presets are mainly for Graphics Options, and not to force modes.

That's great. I like that option so I don't have to restart the game.

But if I have lower graphic settings that I use with VR, I should probably use the Presets for that? Then I can just Launch into VR with vr checked and my other vr settings?

Sent from my Moto Z Play using Tapatalk

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Caused By pointing the DCS Saved Games Folder to a DCS Folder.

There is no Options.lua in the DCS World Program Folder.

I may put more protection against this and exeption catches.

This would work in theory (having all builds use the same saved games folder). But you'd have to use a DCS saved games folder and not a Custom folder. as DCS itself would not see the folder without some modding. using DCS Variant TXT Method. in Which case folder name would be "DCS.<variantname>"

I point all my 2.5 installs to the same Saved Games folder in DCS and the App.

But pointing greatly differing Versions (ie 1.5, 2.0 and 2.5) or even 2.5 Early Versions and 2.5 Current Versions to the Same Saved Games path is not recommended as Values and Database Sections of the Files Change from version to version, along with Module Input and Input Function IDs.

In the future I will likely change the "source" of the Options.Preset01 Files from the Individual Saved Games folders to the /Saved Games/DCS Updater Utility/ Folder, allowing the same Presets to be used across all builds.

But the issue of Vastly different builds still comes into play, which is why I havent done it yet.

The utility *knows* how to branch off under the SAVED GAMES folder? This is the part that I don't quite get. Does it have JSGME like feature that swaps out the config files when you start it up?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1