Operation Erase & Replace

pdmarsh

OE&R.jpg

GENERAL COMMENTS

All user roles in this mission have AI counterparts. In fact, this mission will play itself out in entirety if a player takes the role of Observer.

The tasks and threats will scale to some degree according to the number of players and role(s) selected.

This is the first mission I have scripted that I am going public with. I don't presume that it is great, but I hope it will be fun for those who fly it.

3rd PARTY CREDITS

This mission makes use of the Complete Troop Transport Script (CTTS.lua) by geloxo, itself built on the HueyDrop2 script by Deck.

Note -- Due to an apparent bug in DCSW release 1.2.12, CTTS.lua was modified for this mission--excellent modifications made by Chump. Do not extract and use this version of CTTS.lua for other missions--recommend you download original CTTS.lua and make mods appropriate to your mission.

MISSION DESCRIPTION

Players: 1-6

Available Player Aircraft & Roles: Su-25T x 2 (SEAD); A-10C x 2 (CAS); UH-1H x 2 (Transport)

All player aircraft on hot start.

THE SITUATION

Enemy forces have occupied the town of Verhnebakanskiy and enemy reinforcements are on the way. Your mission is to erase these occupiers from the scene and replace them with your own forces. You must also stop the enemy reinforcements from arriving.

TASKS

SEAD -- If possible, all enemy air defenses in and around the town must be eliminated. AI CAS and AI transports will not enter the hot zone until this is accomplished. If all air defenses are not successfully eliminated, you can call in CAS and the transports manually (if you are willing to risk it!). AI SEAD will leave the hot zone if all air threats have been eliminated or if they go winchester. Human SEAD (that's you), can loiter to assist CAS if needed. SAMs can be marked with orange smoke if desired (changed from white as noted below in mission V2)--use the /F10 options menu.

CAS -- Close air support will be needed to remove threats to our own forces moving into the hot zone and to stop enemy reinforcements from arriving.

Transports -- There are a number of enemy troop concentrations in the town. Erasing these will be the job of the Huey transports and the friendly troops they drop nearby. Upon takeoff from Anapa-Vityazevo, fly ESE on a heading of 120° until you see the blue smoke marking the FARP. Land and pick up your first load of troops. Wait for SEAD flight to let you know the coast is clear, or enter the hot zone at your own risk. Fly 120° to the south side of town, then head northeast. Drop zones near enemy troop concentrations will be marked with smoke (red and green). Get in, drop your troops and get out fast--the enemy infantry is on a hair trigger. Return to the FARP for more troops and re-enter the lion's den until the enemy infantry is vanquished!

GOALS FOR MISSION SUCCESS

Enemy troop concentrations at 20% or less.

Friendly task force(s) reach town.

UPDATES

DCS World 1.5 version of this mission posted (see new post later in thread). Includes all 1.2 version updates as of 1/12/16.

See post below for mission version 2 and update notes.

Please see post below by Xeno426. He has made good mods to this mission (V2.5), including the addition of Mi-8MTV2 and Ka-50 aircraft as choices for human pilots. (1/3/15)

Operation Erase & Replace.miz

Edited by pdmarsh
Update 3rd party credits.

Mission Tweaks

--Changed SAM smoke markers from white to orange. Found white to be a little too wispy from the recent DCSW changes.

--Set western enemy infantry to late start like eastern infantry to avoid being attacked too early by AI CAS flights. If enemy infantry is shooting, AI transports won't land. Only applies when Huey transports being flown by AI pilots. When human pilots are flying the Huey(s), enemy infantry is already activated and on free fire!

Operation Erase & Replace V2.miz

Edited by pdmarsh

• 2 weeks later...
Nice mission. I don't suppose you could add Mi-8MTV2 and Ka-50 support, could you?

Hi Xeno426,

Thank you very much for the feedback--I appreciate it a great deal. I will definitely give some thought to incorporating these aircraft into the mission. I don't have the Mi-8MTV2, but this might be all the incentive I need!

Thanks again,

Paul

Skeeter, if you add the Mi-8 I'd be happy to test it with you.

Perfect! I actually went ahead and bought Mi-8 earlier today. I'm going to get familiar with it over the next few days, then will work on the mission.

Thanks,

Skeeter (Paul)

I made a simple modification of my own to it to add in those aircraft. It's pretty basic, and I piggybacked the new aircraft in the scripts for the existing ones since I intended the number of players to remain the same (1-6), just with more aircraft choices.

I also did a bit of tweaking; there was no need for the F-16s to carry HARMs since no targets have radar and neither was there a need for so many Mavericks (I'm not even sure the F-16 ever carried the triple rack), so I cut down on them and replaced the HARMs with cluster bombs. I also found the F-16s were flying way too low to be realistic; they're not built like the A-10, so they should be flying at least as high as the A-10s if not higher.

One main problem I've encountered is that the Su-25Ts aren't really needed to take care of the enemy AD, since it's all rather short range and not radar guided. The A-10s can do the job easily with their Mavericks, and probably better than the Su-25s as well thanks to better targeting equipment. Hell, the Ka-50s can do the job pretty well since the Vikhr easily outranges anything the enemy has.

I would suggest placing some actually threatening SAM systems (particularly radar-guided ones) in the area or at least in the enemy rear so that the job of SEAD is more useful; this might mean you'll have to move the airbase to somewhere further away from the action.

Operation Erase & Replace V2.5.miz

• Like 1

I made a simple modification of my own...

@Xeno426 -- All good observations and changes. Thank you very much, and thanks for posting the modified version. I took a quick look and your mods are very thorough, e.g. following the method I chose to preclude AI aircraft from spawning both at mission start and after.

Your suggestions are in keeping with the scenario I was going after, and even the guys I fly with made similar observations--but I was perhaps a bit too anxious to get it posted. The hope was to create a somewhat realistic flow of events. SEAD initially makes the area of operations safe for CAS and transports. CAS not only covers transports, but eliminates enemy reinforcements. Transports put boots on the ground to secure and hold the area. Long range radar SAMs are indeed needed, I now see, and I'm sure other changes would (will?) make this a more realistic and demanding mission.

I'll see if I can use this as a foundation and build a better mission.

Thanks again,

Paul (a.k.a. Skeeter)

Edited by pdmarsh

If using long-range SAMs, I would suggest placing them behind some kind of natural barrier like a large hill. That way people could still fly their CAS missions if they want, but they would have to do so at low altitude where the enemy SAM systems are blind. That way it becomes a tradeoff: if you fly low enough to avoid the long-range SAMs you expose yourself to the short-range threats around the city.

Awesome idea, Xeno. There are enough hills to make it interesting, and I was thinking that placing the long stick SAMs so that the troop zone is just inside their max effective range might also convince people to get in and get out (down the other side of the hill) before the missiles take them out. Might also create a use for the Su-25T in a dedicated SEAD role as well.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

DCSW 1.5 Version of Operation Erase & Replace

I have updated Operation Erase & Replace for DCS World 1.5. Mission attached.

Please let me know of any issues with this version.

Thanks,

Paul

Operation Erase & Replace DCS 1_5.miz