Attacking Bomber Formations

SPS48A

So I am getting the hang of flying the P51. Not very good with rockets or bombs yet but I keep trying. I see a few videos on bombing and rockets and a lot of videos on dog fighting. I will admit that I am not an aviation tactical expert so I have a question about how to attack a Bomber Formation.

I am guessing the best position is to start high and behind and then dive down and through the formation. Yes? No?

Then what? The P51 is pretty slow in the climb so do you just make a climbing turn and take the time to get high and behind again and make another pass? Or do you now climb up through the formation for a belly attack? Or do you level out at the same altitude and make a lateral attack from the front, side, back? I guess it all depends on the situation at tally (is that a correct use of the word) but I am guessing our boys were taught in the fine art of attacking German bomber formations in WWII.

I see basic flight maneuver videos showing defensive and offensive moves but not too much on tactics for ground attacks, formation attacks, etc.

Any good advice on web sites or YouTube channels that address basic fighter/bomber tactics of WWII and present?

P-51 does not climb very good you can get around 3500 ft/min in this plane.

But P-51 conserve energy very well so once you climb high, you can engage through divie, and climb back using energy accumulated in dive.

But engaging bombers formation in single plane is almost certain death, you need good tactics to avoid bomber anti fighter fire.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

First, knowing the deadzones of the plane you're attacking gives you a general idea from where to attack. And if there is no deadzone, then attack from where the fewest rifles point at.

Second, keep your energy high. Go high, get fast, make a strafe and get back up. Always stay fast, the slower you are, the easier you are to hit.

From high to the side on an angle generally, but there are many variables. Aircraft types, formations, altitude, speed, etc.

Our DCS Mustang makes for a poor bomber interceptor. Slow climb and gun type make it a bad fit.

Edited by Paganus
typo

AI Bombers are easy to defeat. Drop down from high and they are dead, and you almost get always without a scratch away.

Im dying from AI bombers from 1000m :P

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor