What will Jester do with the Lantirn?

Rhinozherous

Good question. I would also like to add the question how Iceman will be like. Will Iceman be able to make some proper maneuvering while the human player can control the Lantirn? Since the AI for autonomous F14s should already exist, it should not be too hard to use it for Iceman.

• 3 months later...
Good question. I would also like to add the question how Iceman will be like. Will Iceman be able to make some proper maneuvering while the human player can control the Lantirn? Since the AI for autonomous F14s should already exist, it should not be too hard to use it for Iceman.

They have said multiple times that Iceman is basically a glorified autopilot, and they won't put nearly as much effort into him as they will into Jester.

They have said multiple times that Iceman is basically a glorified autopilot, and they won't put nearly as much effort into him as they will into Jester.

This was also asked months ago when the question was much more up in the air...

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Supercarrier

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

Iceman should at least be able to hold the bank angle and altitude. This is something that many autopilots can do and it would be sufficient for using the lantirn when you go back to the RIO seat yourself.

Bottom line is HB aren't going to develop advanced AI that can read your mind and determine what to target with the pod at any moment in time. He will just target standard pre-arranged targets or areas - with subsequent multiple menu commands to shift targeting amongst seperate targets (same as A-A specific target selection) I would assume. I just hope he has enough intelligence to manage appropriate zoom levels, laser activation behaviour etc.

I am not even going to mention the pilot having any input into aiming the pod or direct target selection...as certain individuals have an unhealthy obsession with 'realism' and 'cheat modes' on here..

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No, they have stated that Iceman won't get any more sophisticated acpabilities, unlike Jester, who will learn to properly use the LANTIRN, so you don't have to switch to the backseat and can fly the plane by yourself while Jester is managing the LANTIRN.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

But holding the bank angle is not sophisticated at all. Even if it was, I would be happy, if Iceman could at least hold the position of my joystick and throttle when I go back to the RIO seat.

Actually I do not care if Jester could control the lantirn some day. He even struggles to lock enemy on the radar, so I do not have much faith in him working the lantirn. All I want are simple but helpful features for Iceman and Jester that are currently missing.

Edited by Tiramisu

But holding the bank angle is not sophisticated at all. Even if it was, I would be happy, if Iceman could at least hold the position of my joystick and throttle when I go back to the RIO seat.

Actually I do not care if Jester could control the lantirn some day. He even struggles to lock enemy on the radar, so I do not have much faith in him working the lantirn. All I want are simple but helpful features for Iceman and Jester that are currently missing.

We might implement an orbit function for Iceman, but no promises. Anything beyond that would mean starting to develop a new AI, which is outside of our capabilities atm.

As for Jester - improvements will come, but the reason for him losing lock often is mostly the lack of TWS Auto, which we are still working on. Players then often maneuver the bandit out of the cone, which does not update with the new aspect. If the bandit is kept within parameters, he does not lose lock (also it is not Jester, but the radar that loses lock). That said we of course understand his current limitations and have them in mind concerning his further evolution.

As for Lantirn, it is still a bit early to say, but work progresses on it. We will have a bigger update for you, once it is closer to completion. :)

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Thank you for your respond Ironmike! Once the AI issues are gone, I will be very satisfied with this module. :)

We might implement an orbit function for Iceman, but no promises. Anything beyond that would mean starting to develop a new AI, which is outside of our capabilities atm.

Actually it would suffice to add in a mode for Iceman, in which he keeps all settings of the cockpit the last time the player left it.

E.g. if Iceman would not change the autopilot settings, then the player could simply use the orbit function of the built in autopilot, before he goes to the RIO seat to use the Lantirn himself.

Or when you are in a turnfight, this mode would let Iceman keep the player's stick and throttle setting in order to sustain that turn, while you are able to go back to the RIO seat for a few seconds.

Btw. you could call that mode the Freeze-Mode. It would go well with Iceman's name. :D

As for Jester - improvements will come, but the reason for him losing lock often is mostly the lack of TWS Auto, which we are still working on. Players then often maneuver the bandit out of the cone, which does not update with the new aspect. If the bandit is kept within parameters, he does not lose lock (also it is not Jester, but the radar that loses lock). That said we of course understand his current limitations and have them in mind concerning his further evolution.

I was not referring to Jester's ability keeping a lock. I meant the problem, that Jester is often not able to lock targets by himself when you order him to do so. The reason for this problem is probably, that in the moment you tell Jester to lock something, he checks if there is any contact on his radar or else he fails to do so, even when a contact appears just a few seconds later.

I suggest that instead there should be a lock mode, in which Jester is constantly looking for contacts and locks them up until he got a bandit. Then the player would not have to give the lock command over and over again until Jester finally locks something.

Edited by Tiramisu

It will cause a new form of CTD

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

• 2 months later...

Any status update on this?

Would really be great if Jester could do some ground target lock and lasing. Maybe with the option to switch to "next target" or "previous target" or something like that. Or even selecting the highest value target by himself.

As for Jester - improvements will come, but the reason for him losing lock often is mostly the lack of TWS Auto, which we are still working on. Players then often maneuver the bandit out of the cone, which does not update with the new aspect. If the bandit is kept within parameters, he does not lose lock (also it is not Jester, but the radar that loses lock).

F14 is great, best module out there IMHO but... Jester allows the radar to loose lock frequently when there is no manoeuvring going on, obviously, this is because the bandit moves out of the current cone. A Real RIO would adjust radar elevation/Azimuth etc to keep lock but Jester does not appear to do this on all occasions.

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel i5-9600k OC 5 Ghz | RTX 2080 |VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR 4 OC 3200

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4

Any status update on this?

Would really be great if Jester could do some ground target lock and lasing. Maybe with the option to switch to "next target" or "previous target" or something like that. Or even selecting the highest value target by himself.

Jester LANTIRN

This feature is rapidly nearing completion, and we are now in the final phase of its development. We will make a separate update on this feature before release. This has been a very challenging task, but we believe we’ve found a good way to make JESTER operate the LANTIRN both quite independently, but also at the pilot’s command and disposal. Weaving this functionality together in an immersive and realistic way has been integral to our efforts.

One core component to this effort has been to make a new human emulation system for the way JESTER will actually utilize the LANTIRN controls. This includes simulating the way a human would search an area and avoiding any sort of robotic jankiness. This has proven to be a challenging endeavour. Search patterns that make sense and feel authentic have been developed as part of this effort.

Certainly, communication with JESTER is key to achieve your goals. The player will be able to tell JESTER to look at either a Waypoint, coordinates or a map marker, and command the area and size of the area to search in. You will be able to instruct JESTER to e.g. prioritize SAMs or armor or ships - and much more. All in all, we hope we’ve found an appropriately immersive and functional way to integrate JESTER Lantirn, and we hope you’ll enjoy this feature once it launches. Currently, the last remaining items are to record the remaining voice lines required for this and run the feature through a few final cycles of testing.

From here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=251618

They have stated they will look into improving Iceman a little -- e.g. giving him (or her) orbit capability.

"her"? i'm pretty sure its a guy lol

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

"her"? i'm pretty sure its a guy lol

how dare you

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Supercarrier

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

• 7 months later...

Is there any news about using Lantrin from Jester?

Hardware: Windows 11 64Bit, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Pro Wifi II, 32 GB Ram 3600 MHz DDR4, TUF RTX 4080 OC, M.2 SSD ADATA SX8200 2TB, Meta Quest 2, ASUS TUF VG279QM Monitor, TM HOTAS Warthog , VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base mit TM Hornet Stick und Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedalen.

Deutscher Guide zu: Mirage 2000C, MiG-21bis, F5 Tiger II, Mi-8MTV2, F-14B Tomcat, AJS-37 Viggen und Fulgabwehrsysteme

This really has to get adressed. Some how. Even reallllllly basic like fly in a area and turn the repeater on to see the LANTIRN and then tell jester "attack primary"

Its really unacceptable in its current iteration right now. Im sorry but its a ridiculous amount of work in SP to use a LGB safely when it realllly shouldnt be, and not a year after release.

I love you guys at heatblur dont get me wrong but this is important. (Id add a jester IFF too is really important IMO)

Nevermind Im dying for the A6 even AI and am concerned ED is pressuring them not to release a forrestal.