VAICOM PRO plugin for VoiceAttack

Hollywood_315

Hmmm interesting point. I had installed DCS and OB the default way, until I moved them. And I think it was working properly until I did that. Can't check my registry until Monday, as Norway has loosened on travel restrictions and I'm over the hills and far away.

But it doesn't really bother me anymore, as I know how to fix it after every update.

I've always run VA as as admin though.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm surprised to see this advice given so often since it seems totally unnecessary on my system. I suspect that those who need it do not have the correct registry keys set up for DCS and the issue may be related to how you installed DCS Open Beta. For example, on my system I have these registry keys for OB:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta]

"Path"="D:\\Program Files\\Eagle Dynamics\\DCS World OpenBeta"

"Version"="2.5"

"Language"="EN"

You might check to see if you have something similar and whether the path is correct. I imagine that these could have been corrupted or not installed properly if the installation folder has been moved or if you installed OpenBeta by converting another installation rather than doing a full fresh install from the website, which is what I did.

I imagine there could also be an issue if you installed OpenBeta from one user ID and are now running VAICOM from another user ID, since these keys are tied to "current user" and are not system wide. Perhaps that could occur if you are running VA as administrator, for example. I have found that I do not need to run it as administrator, provided I set folder permissions to give my regular user ID full control permissions on the folder ...\VoiceAttack\Apps\VAICOMPRO

I'm speculating of course since I don't experience the problem that others have reported that seems related to vAIcomPro not finding the OB installation.

i'm curious do you have a an entry for "DCS World" too ?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Yes. I have both installed in separate directory trees.

i'm curious do you have a an entry for "DCS World" too ?

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

Yes. I have both installed in separate directory trees.

Interesting i only had the one entry for DCS world, i added yours in we will see :)

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Couldn't find your original post about your chatter/redirect issue.

I was messing around Windows to find out how to make the sound output "doubled" on two different devices today. As I had some other issues.

Long shot but you haven't turned on "Stereo Mix" by chance, and that's messing things up for you?

Basically, I hear Chatter fine from my Rift only until I fire up DCS, then Chatter comes from my desk speakers, no matter what, VAICOM "Redirection" on or off for that matter.. All else goes over to my Rift as it is supposed to. Moreover after installing Chatter some weeks ago, it even worked OK for a while (coming from my Rift too). Maybe it was one of those DCS updates, or I don't know what messed it up.

Basically, I hear Chatter fine from my Rift only until I fire up DCS, then Chatter comes from my desk speakers, no matter what, VAICOM "Redirection" on or off for that matter.. All else goes over to my Rift as it is supposed to. Moreover after installing Chatter some weeks ago, it even worked OK for a while (coming from my Rift too). Maybe it was one of those DCS updates, or I don't know what messed it up.
Yup. I get that. But did you check what I asked?

I'm only asking, 'cause when I tried to reproduce it, or just check that it would work for me, I had some really strange behaviour as well. And when I was fiddling around to test some other totally irrelevant, I found out that I'd enabled "stereo mix". Basically a thing in Windows to duplicate sound on two outputs. Now, I didn't test it further, but I will when I get home on Monday.

It's just a thought that might be the culprit, 'cause I couldn't really get redirection of chatter and DCS the way I wanted too.

So just a thought. Might be worth just making sure you don't have it enabled.

Couldn't find your original post about your request.

Should I try it with another comm device (headset+mike maybe)?

Yeah! I think that can make you drill down better.

To check the "stereo mix" setting is in sound control panel. The "old one", not updated to Windows 10 window, if you get me. Under Recording Device tab, and click show hidden devices, Stereo Mix should be there. If it's already hidden, it's probably not enabled.

"Stereo mix" is among the list of items (as ASUS Xonar DGX Audio Device), but "Currently unavailable". See screenshot, next is pressing properties, next is again pressing properties.

By the way, what is the difference anyway between selecting "Default device" or "Default communication device" generally, and when using DCS? What to select?

StereoMix.thumb.JPG.183c6e329dfd410608dc427571595f2f.JPG

Edited by Razor18

"Stereo mix" is among the list of items (as ASUS Xonar DGX Audio Device), but "Currently unavailable". See screenshot, next is pressing properties, next is again pressing properties.
Yeah. That's the one. No promises though, but it's enabled. What happens if you disable?

And if this doesn't help anything, I'd suggest you try with another pair of headphones.

Thanks, I will try now.

IN the meantime, what is the difference anyway in Windows Sound options between selecting "Default device" or "Default communication device" generally, and when using DCS? What to select, for what purpose?

Thanks, I will try now.

IN the meantime, what is the difference anyway in Windows Sound options between selecting "Default device" or "Default communication device" generally, and when using DCS? What to select, for what purpose?

Default device is "sound out", speakers/headphones, etc. "Communication device" is your microphone, but can be line in as well I believe. Voice Attack has some extra options. Never explored those.

Hello,

I wanted to seek some advise on the issue that I am seeing with VA/VIACOM Pro....

When I play DCS I do not have the squelch and 'audible hints' sounds. If I restart VA while DCS is loaded then I get them back.

When I play DCS I typically switch from monitor sound to either headset with mic OR VR headset with mic. My mic works as VA/VIACOM operates as expected, just don't get the feedback (squelch & audible hints).

Not sure if it is a VA or VIACOM setup issue, I am guessing it is because of the switching input/output sources. I have played a good bit with both VA's audio tab settings and VIACOM's audio tab (Redir) with no luck. Pasting screenshots below:

va.png.138a430945badc82323c2cf1f402edd8.png

viacom.png.4e08fc7f2f5a403ad842dd388ed28b5f.png

~Thump.

Computer Specs:

i7-6700K@4.00GHz, 32GB, 850 EVO 1TB, GTX 1080 Ti, Samsung Odyssey VR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm surprised to see this advice given so often since it seems totally unnecessary on my system. I suspect that those who need it do not have the correct registry keys set up for DCS and the issue may be related to how you installed DCS Open Beta. For example, on my system I have these registry keys for OB:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta]

"Path"="D:\\Program Files\\Eagle Dynamics\\DCS World OpenBeta"

"Version"="2.5"

"Language"="EN"

You might check to see if you have something similar and whether the path is correct. I imagine that these could have been corrupted or not installed properly if the installation folder has been moved or if you installed OpenBeta by converting another installation rather than doing a full fresh install from the website, which is what I did.

I imagine there could also be an issue if you installed OpenBeta from one user ID and are now running VAICOM from another user ID, since these keys are tied to "current user" and are not system wide. Perhaps that could occur if you are running VA as administrator, for example. I have found that I do not need to run it as administrator, provided I set folder permissions to give my regular user ID full control permissions on the folder ...\VoiceAttack\Apps\VAICOMPRO

I'm speculating of course since I don't experience the problem that others have reported that seems related to vAIcomPro not finding the OB installation.

Interesting - mine is a default install of OB from clean and it doesn't go wrong after every update. It is probably only once in every 5 or 6 updates and the fix I gave is so quick to do I now do it without thinking.

I have checked and my registry keys are present and correct - welcome to the whacky world of software :-)

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Edited by hornblower793
Added that registry has been checked

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Hello,

I wanted to seek some advise on the issue that I am seeing with VA/VIACOM Pro....

When I play DCS I do not have the squelch and 'audible hints' sounds. If I restart VA while DCS is loaded then I get them back.

When I play DCS I typically switch from monitor sound to either headset with mic OR VR headset with mic. My mic works as VA/VIACOM operates as expected, just don't get the feedback (squelch & audible hints).

Not sure if it is a VA or VIACOM setup issue, I am guessing it is because of the switching input/output sources. I have played a good bit with both VA's audio tab settings and VIACOM's audio tab (Redir) with no luck. Pasting screenshots below:

When you start VA, and before starting DCS, do you get the squelch tone / audible hint if you push your PTT button and give a command?

Also, I have just checked and I have Notification sounds checked in my VA settings. In the VAICOM config, just checking that you have 'Use Audio Hints' checked and 'Disable Squelch'nchecked on the VAICOM options tab

Edited by hornblower793

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Yeah. That's the one. No promises though, but it's enabled. What happens if you disable?

And if this doesn't help anything, I'd suggest you try with another pair of headphones.

I guess I figured it out. I didn't put a mark in any checkbox in the Options/Audio Tab at the bottom. :doh:

(checkbox) Set Windows Default Multimedia Audio Playback Device on Startup

Maybe it is just me not being native english, or being too analytic, but this Option with the checkbox said to me:

"If you check this box, then when Voice Attack starts up, Windows Default Multimedia Audio Playback Device will be put in here", which I didn't want to, because normally I use desktop speakers, when not in VA. That's why I didin't press "Change now" either, because that causes to set it in Windows permanently, so when I exit, Audio will remain on Rift Audio.

Again, I'm not native, but a little "as" and "VA" inserted would give more clarity:

(checkbox) Set as Windows Default Multimedia Audio Playback Device on VA Startup

Then I would know, that indeed THIS device I choose here, will be set in Windows just as lon as VA is running, and not Windows setting will be applied here.

But at least now I read this part of the manual too...

But I'm still looking for which device should I make Multimedia Playback Device, and which to Communication Playback Device, if I use a Rift for DCS, and what should I choose for Voice chat in DCS, for that matter, if I don't use Voice chat? Or is SRS the voice chat? A bit confused...

Thanks for your efforts anyways !

VoiceAttack.JPG.5fb5cda2a369ed8a67918bedba5ea047.JPG

When you start VA, and before starting DCS, do you get the squelch tone / audible hint if you push your PTT button and give a command?

Also, I have just checked and I have Notification sounds checked in my VA settings. In the VAICOM config, just checking that you have 'Use Audio Hints' checked and 'Disable Squelch'nchecked on the VAICOM options tab

I have the checkbox for "Use Audio Hints" checked and "Disable Squelch" unchecked.

I never tried using VA's Notification sounds, so I just went and checked that and got both the VA notification as well as the VIACOM's hints/squelch.

Here is the weird thing, I didn't like the "double notification" so turned off VA's notification sound and now it is properly playing VIACOM's hints/squelch even when I switch my audio sources (monitor to headset and back). Still more playing to do, but for now it is working again.

thanks.

~Thump.

Computer Specs:

i7-6700K@4.00GHz, 32GB, 850 EVO 1TB, GTX 1080 Ti, Samsung Odyssey VR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Shoot, it doesn't work either. After exiting VoiceAttack, Output Audio device remains Rift Audio, instead of going back to Speaker... :cry:

This is because the options at the bottom set the default Windows device. I think that if you want to do it only while VA is running you need to use the Override Default Playback Device and Override Default Text-to-Speech Device options at the top of the screen and pick your device for each of these.

This is where I have mine set so that it continues to use my gaming headphones and mic rather than switching to my Rift S speakers and mic

I do not have any of the options at the bottom of the screen ticked

Hope this helps and apologies if you have already tried this

I have the checkbox for "Use Audio Hints" checked and "Disable Squelch" unchecked.

I never tried using VA's Notification sounds, so I just went and checked that and got both the VA notification as well as the VIACOM's hints/squelch.

Here is the weird thing, I didn't like the "double notification" so turned off VA's notification sound and now it is properly playing VIACOM's hints/squelch even when I switch my audio sources (monitor to headset and back). Still more playing to do, but for now it is working again.

thanks.

Good to hear:thumbup:

Thanks for quick help, but trying this way, Chatter went rouge again.

With only VA on, every sound comes from my Rift incl. VoiceAttack, Vaicom, Chatter, PC, anything, but as soon I fire up DCS, Chatter alone goes back out on speakers only. Everything else remains on Rift all right.

Shutting down DCS, Chatter again goes back to Rift again as if nothing happend...

:(

With only VA on, every sound comes from my Rift incl. VoiceAttack, Vaicom, Chatter, PC, anything, but as soon I fire up DCS, Chatter alone goes back out on speakers only. Everything else remains on Rift all right.

Shutting down DCS, Chatter again goes back to Rift again as if nothing happend...

Hmmm... I will test when I get back home. Never read the VA manual, and I have never tinkered around with VA audio settings. I was under the impression that VAICOM doesn't use those, except for the mic, and uses Windows sound settings directly and bypasses VA all together for output. Except to have VA catch the speak and getting it into text via MSSR of course.

That's why you can have the "redirect" settings in VAICOM. If it relied on VA settings, it would kinda be redundant IMHO.

As far as I know it should be really simple really. Have surround receiver as default Windows output. And relay chatter to headset. Why this doesn't work for you I don't know. But like I wrote before, I had some issues myself, but I'm positive it's not related to VA audio settings. Since it stops working when starting DCS, it seems that it's DCS related, somehow. It seems very much like a conflict or mix of settings. Might be VA related if one forces to change outputs in it. But then it shouldn't work before you start DCS too.

Did you try to disable that "audio mix" thing?

Ok - the next suggestion is to set the redirect option on the Audio tab of the Vaicom configuration .

On this, set the switch on the right to Oper and then pick your Rift from the dropdown list.

Again, I onoe MAXSenna has already helped you so apologies if you have already been told to try this

What happens if you have Windows default device to your speakers, and make VAICOM output to your Rift in Windows sound settings?

OR

Have Windows default device to your speakers. Start DCS, alt-tab out to VAICOM, and then turn on redirect?

Hmmm... I will test when I get back home. Never read the VA manual, and I have never tinkered around with VA audio settings. I was under the impression that VAICOM doesn't use those, except for the mic, and uses Windows sound settings directly and bypasses VA all together for output. Except to have VA catch the speak and getting it into text via MSSR of course.

That's why you can have the "redirect" settings in VAICOM. If it relied on VA settings, it would kinda be redundant IMHO.

As far as I know it should be really simple really. Have surround receiver as default Windows output. And relay chatter to headset. Why this doesn't work for you I don't know. But like I wrote before, I had some issues myself, but I'm positive it's not related to VA audio settings. Since it stops working when starting DCS, it seems that it's DCS related, somehow. It seems very much like a conflict or mix of settings. Might be VA related if one forces to change outputs in it. But then it shouldn't work before you start DCS too.

Did you try to disable that "audio mix" thing?

Yes I did. Changed nothing. But I tried out headphones too, and same phenomenon as with Rift audio. Everything comes from my headset (including Chatter) all right, only until I fire up DCS. The only way to hear Chatter too from my Headset or Rift, if I change Rift to Default Output Device in VoiceAttack Options/Audio, pressing Change now too. But then, when I come out of DCS and VA, default output device setting doesn't switches back to speaker, as I would use it all other time, outside of DCS.