Unable to fly straight & level

stratman59

I'm constantly having to make rudder and aileron trim adjustments, If I'm flying at a constant speed and with no wind surely once trimmed it should fly straight and level?

I'm using a Warthog and pedals. I have the trims set to the trim switch on the stick.

Also after takeoff, I'm having to do manic trim adjustments, watching Wags's takeoff instruction video, he doesn't appear to do any? Even if I try going into 'instant action' level flight I still constantly have to be adjusting.

With no aileron trim on this plane, it will never be trimmable for hands off flight, it will always roll a bit.

Oversensitive rudder trim (only when assigned to buttons or keyboard, apparently it's better when assigned to analog rotary switch) doesn't help either, though you can learn to somehow manage it by tapping the switch/key rather than pressing it. Undersensitive elevator trim is good for the job though, you just have to wait a bit longer for the speed to stabilize.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Welcome to the Spitfire.

Basically, set your curves, and do things by the book until you have mastered control, then get creative. That's my shortest possible answer...

Edited by Magic Zach
Typo

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, it's not a question of it being 'meant to be like that'; it's just the way it is.

It's like driving on the freeway. Even on an absolutely straight stretch of road you are alway making tiny adjustments to stay in the center of your lane. With flying, it's the exact same thing.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

while not perfectly so, these aircraft will feel noticeably more stable only when the correct trim is coupled with correct speed and aoa. any mismatch between your rpm-speed-aoa-pitch will create an unstable state, and trying to trim without first settling on the proper cruise state can find you with a faulty trim setting that will seem correct at first but will have undesirable roll.

while not perfectly so, these aircraft will feel noticeably more stable only when the correct trim is coupled with correct speed and aoa. any mismatch between your rpm-speed-aoa-pitch will create an unstable state, and trying to trim without first settling on the proper cruise state can find you with a faulty trim setting that will seem correct at first but will have undesirable roll.
I'll help out some people passing through and translate: In short, set engine and speed first, trim later.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Spitfire pilots during WWII mention repeatedly in their memoirs that the Spit needed to be retrimmed after any change in RPM-prop pitch-altitude etc.

This applies to pretty much all prop aircraft.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..