RealSimulator F18 grip

So mine arrived Monday and today was the first chance I got to play with it.......

Initial feelings are mixed....firstly, love the grip itself, workmanship is great and the switch action is great.

I want to use mine on a gimbal base, so it’s like the real jet, rather than the R3L base. I do have one of these, but keep my F16 grip on that mounted as a side stick for when I fly the Viper. So I plugged it into my TM gimbal base. I realise that I miss out on all the functionality like this, but assume that if I use a Bluetooth dongle, I could use all the features, but have the pitch and roll input from the gimbal? Or would I not? Have asked this on their forum....

I don’t really want to use a dongle, as I had issues getting things to work properly with it on my F16 grip, which works perfectly now plugged in via the usb in the base of the R3L.

An irritating issue is that the bottom of the mounting collar fouls the edge of the gimbal base collar at about 90% deflection in any axis, then pushes over it with a click.

My main issue is how different it feels in use to the TM grip. Being much lighter and also using the same axis tune settings as my TM grip, the response felt almost slow motion ( I had a curve of 30) , but very precise. However, I could not make the jet snap roll like before. I had to roll the curve back to 20 to get back a decent action. But biggest issue is that now ALL my muscle memory for refuelling is useless, I spent 20 minutes trying and was unable, it was like I had just started to learn ...!

It is late here, so I will revisit with a fresh head tomorrow, but I guess I have work to do on finding best settings etc and do need to find out about the functionality.....

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

IMO, this grip would be quite crippled unless used in BLE mode or with an FSSB base, because its functionality becomes drastically reduced--even fewer operating buttons than the TM version. At the present state, only 17 DX inputs + POV would register (compared to TM grip's 19 + POV)--unless they change it in the firmware to achieve equivalency, but then the Warthog base still won't support any more DX input beyond this.

Secondly, the default Warthog gimbal is tuned for a much heavier grip. The tension is already pretty high with heavier TM grip so I'm not surprised that you had trouble with AAR. I can't even stand the default tension with the Warthog grip. But that's the nature of AAR, everytime I switch gear everything changes and I have to relearn all over again and I tend switch often between different bases and grips.

For optimal pairing with the Warthog, I suggest

1. BLE mode so you can take advantage of all DX inputs and memory slots. Use axis input from the Warthog base though as BLE position sensor isn't that great.

2. Use an extension tube or modify the springs inside the base to reduce the tension.

I've tested my Warthog base with modified springs + BLE mode, and it works out pretty well. AAR was even easier than my default WarBRD setup with this grip.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Hi Supmua , thanks for your input......

Is the only way forward a dongle then? Is there any update on the best one to use / best way to get it working with Bluetooth? And of course, it’s now unsupported.....

Finally, where can I get some modified springs for my TM base?

Cheers

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Hi Supmua , thanks for your input......

Is the only way forward a dongle then? Is there any update on the best one to use / best way to get it working with Bluetooth? And of course, it’s now unsupported.....

Finally, where can I get some modified springs for my TM base?

Cheers

Sakhaj sells a green spring which is way weaker then the default warthog one....

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest Pro  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, F-16EX Grip, Orion 2 Base, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Thanks, had a look at his shop, will probably order what I need and meantime go back to using the TM grip until it all arrives and I can get things sorted properly.....