Why does the MiG-29 have two HUDs?

Spades_Neil

Okay I mean the second one isn't really a hud per-say, but why doesn't the MiG-29 have a radar display like the Su-27 and Su-33 anymore? I swear it used to in the old games, now it just has a redundant second screen that I don't understand the point of in place of where the radar should be... and it's exactly the same as what's on the HUD already. :huh:

there are like 3 threads about this at any one time if you actually took care to read the forums.

but just to repeat the answer for the 999th time, the old version wasn't realistic. the irl mig only has a hud repeater, and its far from useless because real pilots aren't tunnelvisioning through the hud all the time.

the phrase is also spelled "per se."

• Like 1

Probad, I think you are a little hard on Spades Neil. It is answers like that that deterred me from forum participation, years back. Not every one has 22 hours a day to read the DCS forum. If you can not answer the question with some degree of civility, then let someone else answer it. Or, this may sound novel, just be polite.

• Like 1

there are like 3 threads about this at any one time if you actually took care to read the forums.

but just to repeat the answer for the 999th time, the old version wasn't realistic. the irl mig only has a hud repeater, and its far from useless because real pilots aren't tunnelvisioning through the hud all the time.

the phrase is also spelled "per se."

Contrary to your beliefs, I do always use the search function before making a thread.

https://forums.eagle.ru/search.php?searchid=14484318

Here is what that page looks like. You know the one thread that mentions a HUD repeater, which I didn't even know what it was until now? It's in German. I don't speak German. I appreciate the information, but I'd also appreciate it if you were a little more understanding that perhaps not everyone who posts is an idiot.

I also don't speak Latin, either.

I think at 54: 30 of this vedio may explain the reason of hud repeater.

Sent from my m1 metal using Tapatalk

I'm afraid I don't understand. If it's a two-seater plane, it makes sense to have a display for the rear seat, but the MiG-29S is not a two-seater as far as I am aware. Certainly not the variant in FC3.

Edited by Spades_Neil

I'm afraid I don't understand. If it's a two-seater plane, it makes sense to have a display for the rear seat, but the MiG-29S is not a two-seater as far as I am aware. Certainly not the variant in FC3.

Are you asking why it's there in the game or why it's there in the real plane?

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Contrary to your beliefs, I do always use the search function before making a thread.

https://forums.eagle.ru/search.php?searchid=14484318

Here is what that page looks like. You know the one thread that mentions a HUD repeater, which I didn't even know what it was until now? It's in German. I don't speak German. I appreciate the information, but I'd also appreciate it if you were a little more understanding that perhaps not everyone who posts is an idiot.

I also don't speak Latin, either.

There is another example, I am pretty sure this one is single sitter. Look at 1: 40 carefully.

Sent from my m1 metal using Tapatalk

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

From the real world manual:

The HDD is a TV monitor on the right side of the instrument panel. It displays essentially the same picture as the HUD.

There's no other function mentioned for it. It may be there simply as a backup in case of HUD failure. It does, however, note that it can be brightened sufficiently to be readable in direct sunlight. Perhaps that's not the case with the MiG's HUD?

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

From the real world manual:

There's no other function mentioned for it. It may be there simply as a backup in case of HUD failure. It does, however, note that it can be brightened sufficiently to be readable in direct sunlight. Perhaps that's not the case with the MiG's HUD?

Now that would make sense, because I can't see a damn thing in the sun. :D

That sounds like what I read. That it was originally meant to be capable of showing Situational Awareness, using a datalink, but all that was implememted was a non functional switch :)

Apparently though that is not true to how the plane is set up in real life, supposedly. I am attempting to find out what its purpose in real life might be--and why you'd sacrifice that datalink display for a second HUD.

That is, unless, the MiG-29 outright doesn't have that capability in real life, and its inclusion in Flaming Cliffs 2 and earlier was a complete error by the developers.

I am attempting to find out what its purpose in real life might be--and why you'd sacrifice that datalink display for a second HUD.

The display might have been put as a commonality thing with the Su-27 cockpit or perhaps the experience with the MiG-23 (which had only the HUD) shoved that it's useful to have a HUD repeater sometimes. Whatever the case, a simpler datalink system was installed where the assigned target data was presented on the HUD directly. As I gather, since the early 29's had a relatively limited range and only two BVR missiles, on a typical intercept mission they would probably engage only one assigned target with both BVR missiles (as the asymmetric load introduced maneuvering limits) and return back to base to rearm/refuel.

That is, unless, the MiG-29 outright doesn't have that capability in real life, and its inclusion in Flaming Cliffs 2 and earlier was a complete error by the developers.

As many have said already, it doesn't have any other function in the real airplane other than the HUD backup mode (the "takt" mode of the "takt/dubl" switch is not available), unless you have a flight manual which shows otherwise. There were like dozens of similar threads, literally, so you might check those out.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!