Well, NUTS!

BuzzU

I've resisted using the open beta version for various reasons. However, I wanted to JDAM and it drove me crazy that the stable version took so long to get an update. I don't have room on my SSD for both.

So, last night I deleted the stable version and installed the open beta. Wouldn't you know it? They updated the stable version today and it gives what I was looking for. Groan.....

Now I don't know if I should go back to the stable version?

Buzz

Why delete? You can switch back and forth to whatever version you want anytime.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Nope.

There’s an updater that allows easy switching. No need to re-install.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I understand the switching but don't you need to download both versions? So, both are available to switch to fast.

If both are available to switch too. Don't they both need to be on my system?

Buzz

Because my SSD won't hold both. Even though you switch back and forth you still need to download both and that puts them on my SSD.

I think you have a bit of a wrong impression of what the beta actually is. The beta is nothing else but the normal DCS installation, the only difference being that it gets updates earlier than the stable. Right now the beta and the stable are entirely identical: https://updates.digitalcombatsimulator.com/

So you currently have the Stable and the Beta at the same time as there is no difference between the two.

Next Wednesday that will probably change again, because there probably will be a new update that gets released to the beta only. The week after the same update usally gets released for the Stable (unless there are problems with the update) and then they are the same once again untill the week after. And so it continious...

Now your DCS installation needs to know when it is supposed to download a new update. Is it supposed to download it when it first gets released in "beta" state or should it wait for another week (or 2-3 weeks sometimes) untill the update gets released in "stable" state. So, the general DCS installation is exactly the same, just the update time is different and that's something you can change at anytime:

To tell your DCS installation to download updates in beta state, just open the windows cmd, navigate to the bin folder in your DCS installation folder and enter the following command:

DCS_updater.exe update @openbeta

Now DCS will update whenever there is a new beta update.

To tell your DCS installation to download updates in stable state, just open the windows cmd, navigate to the bin folder in your DCS installation folder and enter the following command:

DCS_updater.exe update @release

Now DCS will update whenever there is a new stable update.

See this thread for more info: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

Bottom line is: You don't need to have two different DCS installations on your computer. You can just switch between beta and stable at any time. I do that for at least 4 years now, because I don't have the space for two DCS installations either (although I didn't had to switch back to the stable for almost a year now, because there was no issue with the beta for me since then).

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

"Switch" here is reliant on your download speed, it's not a switch that is instant, it's a changing of version to the same installation by changing files over the internet. Depending on the differences, for example, Terrain updates will really take some time like the PG one that just went to live.

OB tends to be more available on multiplayer, but this is about personal preference, things work well on OB right now. Tomorrow is another day.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I'm a beta tester for auto sims. I understand what beta means. It means you're trying unproven updates. You're a tester and will have more problems than the stable version. The stable version gets the updates after they've been proven to work on many systems.

It would be nice if the stable version got the updates just one week later. The stable version got an update today. The last one before today was 4/3/19.

Buzz

"Switch" here is reliant on your download speed, it's not a switch that is instant, it's a changing of version to the same installation by changing files over the internet. Depending on the differences, for example, Terrain updates will really take some time like the PG one that just went to live.

OB tends to be more available on multiplayer, but this is about personal preference, things work well on OB right now. Tomorrow is another day.

Right now the switch is instant! It won't download anything, because there is no difference between stable and beta at the moment. They are exactly the same right now. If that is not the case (probably after next Wednesday), then yes, you would have to download the update files that are different between the two versions. Just like you do when there is a new update that DCS downloads automatically.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

It would be nice if the stable version got the updates just one week later. The stable version got an update today. The last one before today was 4/3/19.

Stable will be updated when the update is... stable...

There were bugs that were found weeks ago in the beta that were update just last week. There are still more bugs being squashed. ED was releasing updates immediately in the following week to stable even if bugs weren't fixed and people were complaining.

You can't have it both ways.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

I'm a beta tester for auto sims. I understand what beta means. It means you're trying unproven updates. You're a tester and will have more problems than the stable version. The stable version gets the updates after they've been proven to work on many systems.

Yeah, that's the general definition of a beta, but I meant how this is technically implemented in DCS. And here it's not really about something running stable on different systems, but about gameplay bugs that might get introduced with a new update.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yeah, that's the general definition of a beta, but I meant how this is technically implemented in DCS. And here it's not really about something running stable on different systems, but about gameplay bugs that might get introduced with a new update.

Ok, I understand how it works now. I thought you had both versions on the SSD.

Thanks.

I'll stay with the open beta version and see how it works out.

Buzz

Ok, I understand how it works now. I thought you had both versions on the SSD.

Thanks.

I'll stay with the open beta version and see how it works out.

Good choice :thumbup:

If it shouldn't work you can always switch to the stable which is just like downloading a normal update.

Tornado3 small.jpg

I'm a stubborn old coot. I've decided the A-10C is a better choice for me. I'm going to stay with it from now on.

Since the A-10c gets few updates. I went back to the stable version.

Yeah, I know. Make up your mind. I have. :)

Have fun with the Hornet guys.

Buzz

I think you have a bit of a wrong impression of what the beta actually is. The beta is nothing else but the normal DCS installation, the only difference being that it gets updates earlier than the stable. Right now the beta and the stable are entirely identical: https://updates.digitalcombatsimulator.com/

So you currently have the Stable and the Beta at the same time as there is no difference between the two.

Next Wednesday that will probably change again, because there probably will be a new update that gets released to the beta only. The week after the same update usally gets released for the Stable (unless there are problems with the update) and then they are the same once again untill the week after. And so it continious...

Now your DCS installation needs to know when it is supposed to download a new update. Is it supposed to download it when it first gets released in "beta" state or should it wait for another week (or 2-3 weeks sometimes) untill the update gets released in "stable" state. So, the general DCS installation is exactly the same, just the update time is different and that's something you can change at anytime:

To tell your DCS installation to download updates in beta state, just open the windows cmd, navigate to the bin folder in your DCS installation folder and enter the following command:

DCS_updater.exe update @openbeta

Now DCS will update whenever there is a new beta update.

To tell your DCS installation to download updates in stable state, just open the windows cmd, navigate to the bin folder in your DCS installation folder and enter the following command:

DCS_updater.exe update @release

Now DCS will update whenever there is a new stable update.

See this thread for more info: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

Bottom line is: You don't need to have two different DCS installations on your computer. You can just switch between beta and stable at any time. I do that for at least 4 years now, because I don't have the space for two DCS installations either (although I didn't had to switch back to the stable for almost a year now, because there was no issue with the beta for me since then).

Holy Cow I had no idea it was that easy to change from beta to stable versions. I have had the stable version since I started playing but have been wanting to switch so I can play on more of the multiplayer servers. But remembering how long it took to download and install and get all my setting back I have neglected to do so.

Just so I'm sure most of the online servers do only run the open beta version right? So I need to be running the beta version in order to see them and connect up?

Just so I'm sure most of the online servers do only run the open beta version right? So I need to be running the beta version in order to see them and connect up?

Right now it doesn't even matter, because the versions are identical and compatible.

With the next OB update, yeah, you'll have to update to the same version as the servers or you won't even see them. :thumbup:

There's also a config now that I've been asking for long ago, that you can specify and override the default path of the updater's downloads and temporary files location.

Make a autoupdate_settings.cfg file in the root directory of DCS installation and paste that in:

{

"download_dir": "A:\\DCS_TempDownloads"

}

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

I don’t bother with stable now because the goodies are in the beta which for me is playable enough (I don’t do MP). There is already enough of waiting for updates in beta so I don’t wish to wait some more in stable. It’s going to be quite a while before the F18 is complete so I’d go with beta.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

Most MP servers run on the beta, which is also perfectly stable for 99% of the time.

Tornado3 small.jpg