VR recording distorted

rocketeer

I'm new to recording VR.

1. It was recommended to display only left or right eye on the main screen. But choosing left eye or right eye only makes the cockpit appear in the far left or right side.

2. The slightest turn of the head to either side makes the front console very distorted. I've read on google about making the video mono instead of stereo but can't figure out how. Watched many VR youtubes all without my kind of distortion. How do people record their VR gameplay that look like normal monitor display?

NAsXx9i.jpg

FSAiONd.jpg

Get out of full screen, “alt + enter” and depending on capture software it’ll record just the video or the whole screen with filler on both sides.

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

What software are you using to capture? I recommend using Stremlabs OBS and downloading the OpenVR plug-in. It will fix the VR distortions and give you the look you see from other streamers / youtubers.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Hi Strikeagle, i did use OBS and the openVR plugin. didn't work. maybe i didn't do it right. i'd try it again. I also tried opening specific window and then choose dcs.exe and tried several things from various youtube suggestions.

i don't agree with that youtuber that told me the distortion is due to the wide FOV of pimax, that i should use the Rift or similar sets that have narrow FOV in order to avoid distortion. It must be possible to use pimax and still not get distortion.

Anyone that has successfully recorded pimax gameplay without distortion please chip in. thanks!

Yeah all vr views are distorted, they have to be.

Best you can do is crop the vertical view from one eye to only see a somewhat centred viewpoint.

But the pimax uses so severe distortion that not a single part of view is distortion free what so ever, yeah the lenses zoom and distort that much, much more than most.

In fact for 5k to look ok it needs to render to 3000+ or more vertical.

The rift S on the other hand looks good at 2300 vertical render target.

The fov just wasn't worth it.

As for recording, well it's a reason why so few bother with recording VR.

At the best of times the result is distorted, and skewed, most titles hardcrops the view to a 16:9 of the left eye.

And they crop from the bottom down, so what you actually perceive as forward in these games will be the top 1/4 of the recorded image.

Dcs gives you the full image so you can manually crop in OBS at least.

As it also doesn't bother to filter out head movement you got all the dashing, wobbling and general shaky news which makes it for some very uncomfortable viewing.

Hence why there isn't really any streamers or YouTubers that use VR for their content creation as a main stay.

What you get is simply what you get.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

try saving the track and replay it w/ vr off

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

Thanks everyone for your input. I confirm once again OBS and OpenVR plugin doesn't work for my distortion. Maybe pimax's FOV is just too much for it.

I saved the track and replayed it without VR. Yes the distortion is gone. Amazing. But the view is very zoomed in, like your face is just inches from the panel. The view is so different from when I started the mission and looked around sitting in the middle of the cockpit. I'd see if i can zoom out and record it with OBS.

Last night i went back to my old Rift. No distortion at all coz the fov is so freaking small. after being spoilt by the super wide fov which feels like normal vision, the rift is like looking through a hole or straw. and screen door effect is really bad. but at least now i can record screenplay without the ridiculous distortion.

thanks everyone for your input.