Panels hard to read!

Sunshadow

I can't understand all the whining.

What I can't understand is this typical post we see now and then.

Many users obviously have a problem with a feature, they report it. Then someone who is not impacted starts posting in order to try and prevent fixing the problem that the others have.

How selfish can one get, seriously?!

Anyway, removing the noise and back on topic.

If there are labels, they are obviously meant to be read at some point. Otherwise the commands would be blank, wouldn't they? It's a safety in a dangerous environment, real pilots know how it is important not to leave anything to chance. It's also very useful when learning.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many users obviously have a problem with a feature, they report it. Then someone who is not impacted starts posting in order to try and prevent fixing the problem that the others have.

Perfect! :thumbup: :thumbup:

And it happens here A LOT ...

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

Anyway, removing the noise and back on topic.

If there are labels, they are obviously meant to be read at some point. Otherwise the commands would be blank, wouldn't they? It's a safety in a dangerous environment, real pilots know how it is important not to leave anything to chance. It's also very useful when learning.

Yea I see this a lot too. This is the point I just give up because you just end up in a conversation that goes in circles.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Beacuse the wear in the cockpit highly increases the immersive feeling.

And I think the worn out labels are good, because then you really need to get used to the cockpit.

And the wear is not as excessiv as some are saying here. Or tell me, what label can't be read?

Edited by viper2097

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

Cobra, I get it, HB have enough on their plate, but can you guys at least properly help Japo32 make his mod IC-friendly?

Spot on mate!

And I think the worn out labels are good, because then you really need to get used to the cockpit.

Man, at this point I'm beginning to think that you are trolling.

Let's remove all labels altogether. Wipe 'em clean, baby! A true pilot should fly the Tomcat by heart. Eventually he will learn and memorize everything. And if he won't, then this noob is just unworthy.

Dima | My DCS uploads

I'm not trolling, I'm serious.

What labels can't be read? Which switches are makeing you troubles?

"All" is not a valid answer....

I can understand that people would like to have a clear or factory new cockpit, even I don't want to have it. But I can't share the opinion that you can't read the labels or that it is a real problem.

Edited by viper2097

Steam user - Youtube

I'm not trolling, I'm serious.

What labels can't be read? Which switches are makeing you troubles?

"All" is not a valid answer....

I can understand that people would like to have a clear or factory new cockpit, even I don't want to have it. But I can't share the opinion that you can't read the labels or that it is a real problem.

To be fair not everyone has the same vision. Most of them are at the beginning of this thread. I just stuck with the mod and never went online. Works for me up to this point but I have flown in months so I have no clue if anything has changed since. I was just surprised because it got quite in this thread after that mod and then all of a sudden it came alive again.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

This is getting ridiculous :lol:

Multiple people have complained that they genuinely cannot read the labels and knobs. Saying that you can't share their opinion won't make the problem go away.

I'm not asking HB to ruin your weathered pit (it would be insane to destroy such masterpiece). I'm not asking them to take anything from you.

HB can either:

1. Fix the most problematic parts. I showed the examples yesterday, and you (at least partially) agreed with them.

2. Create a separate clean-ish (not factory clean) cockpit. You're not losing anything.

or

3. Help Japo finish what he started. Again, you're not losing anything.

So can you please explain, why are you so against making life of other people a tad easier?

Dima | My DCS uploads

I thought the original plan was to have different airframes, some really beat up and others fairly fresh to simulate getting assigned different aircraft on the squadron.

The idea being that you could either choose your own aircraft or spawn into any of them randomly.

Or did I dream this?

Either way, no sign of it.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

This is getting ridiculous :lol:

Multiple people have complained that they genuinely cannot read the labels and knobs. Saying that you can't share their opinion won't make the problem go away.

I'm not asking HB to ruin your weathered pit (it would be insane to destroy such masterpiece). I'm not asking them to take anything from you.

HB can either:

1. Fix the most problematic parts. I showed the examples yesterday, and you (at least partially) agreed with them.

2. Create a separate clean-ish (not factory clean) cockpit. You're not losing anything.

or

So can you please explain, why are you so against making life of other people a tad easier?

+1

This is getting ridiculous

HB can either:

or

+100

Nothing is ever same when looked at from different perspective

Okay, cockpit is clear and readable for some or for those who have so mastered the cockpit they do not need a clean cocpit but to someone like me who equally loves the Tomcat and want to enjoy flying, it is not and breaks the my zeal to fly her.

It is a huge fact that having an option to select either weathered cockpit or a clean one would hurt neither those who want the beat up pit nor those who want the new clean pit.

It beats me to see that HB has yet to respond to this obvious challenge and concern from some of their clients.

Japo did some amazing work on refreshing the cockpit so some encouragement is deserved.

Great as the Tomcat cockpit rendering is, simple things as the ability to see label is not too much to ask for especially when I am new to this bird. It is a huge task to memorize all button/switch positions.

A little empathy towards others would help.

I am not cool with whenever you find one obvious fact about HB Tomcat, some fellows would say, that is the way it is and must be so suck it up or go fly something else.

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I really can't understand that this is such a big problem for so many?

Please tell me specific, what labels can't be read so that I can also understand it? I would like to understand you, so please help me with that.

What switches makes you a problem during learning or daily useage? The only not readable one that I know is the RWR (or Radio2?) volume in the pilit pit.

Of course, except bugs and WIP items...

Edited by viper2097

Steam user - Youtube

It doesn't bother me as I know the cockpit well enough. I do wear glasses and lenses and have poor eyesight, so even though I know it's the right switch I am clicking it sometimes doesn't register in brain because I can't read it :lol: so only because I am blind is the only reason I would like to have an option to make it more readable :megalol:

I really can't understand that this is such a big problem for so many?

Please tell me specific, what labels can't be read so that I can also understand it? I would like to understand you, so please help me with that.

What switches makes you a problem during learning or daily useage? The only not readable one that I know is the RWR (or Radio2?) volume in the pilit pit.

Of course, except bugs and WIP items...

You've gotten the answers multiple times.

And it may not be a switch label, but the drumroll in the altimeter is almost impossible to read in VR and just barely legibe on a screen with full zoom. Not knowing your altitude is a factor, believe me. I still don't get why Grumman and some other companies chose that crappy altimeter back in time instead of the classic one that has 2 fingers and a hand which is easy to read even without actually having to read. Again, a catastropjic design choice if you ask me. But the problem gets intensified by the fact that DCS is unable to render proper cockpit lighting as it's always way too dark in any DCS pit. 50 Shades Of Black. Especially since the Deferred Shading force... I don't even wanna know how this would look on my old CRT which was at least able to display colours truely which no flat screen can do even today. And I've cranked my Gamma to 2.8 already, it's almost firewalled.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Because I would like to understand it, as there are no labels I can't read (except one, WIP's and bugs). And I still think that a "factory new cockpit" is not a solution when you complain because the real problem ist that you are not (yet) familiar with the cockpit.

Yes, altimeter is hard to read, but that is not worn, or?

Edited by viper2097

Steam user - Youtube

Because I would like to understand it, as there are no labels I can't read (except one, WIP's and bugs). And I still think that a "factory new cockpit" is not a solution when you complain because the real problem ist that you are not (yet) familiar with the cockpit.

Yes, altimeter is hard to read, but that is not worn, or?

How about the radio and other labels on the lefthand console, the light test panel on the back righthand console, the caution light panel.

You will get a glimpse of the issue when you install Japo and Brickdust mods to see what a difference they are from original HB cockpit. This would reveal what a factory new cockpit would look like.

I fly VR and those back panel are literally worn out and unreadable. Yes the light test is not used during normal flight but the radios are a must have. Interestingly, altimeter and altitude gauages are readable in VR.

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

How about the radio and other labels on the lefthand console, the light test panel on the back righthand console, the caution light panel.

Dude, don't waste your time on him. He can't even answer a single question. He just keep repeating "I don't see the problem", "You should learn the plane" and "You don't need a clean cockpit" like a broken record.

P.S. I would like to hear HB's thoughts on this subject - before we start killing each other here :lol:

Dima | My DCS uploads

How about the radio and other labels on the lefthand console [/Quote]

Can you tell me what you can not read?

arc-1591.png

the light test panel on the back righthand console

[/Quote]

Legit. This is maybe worn a bit too much. But let me also notice that this is not that important for me, or at least, if you know what it does, the bad labeling is not a game breaker and you need it only one time for startup without takeing a closer look at it.

mastertest.png

the caution light panel.

[/Quote]

I guess you talk about the caution lights on the VDI.

Yes, they are probably a little bit hard to read, but honestly, at least I had never problems reading them...

vdicaution.png

You will get a glimpse of the issue when you install Japo and Brickdust mods to see what a difference they are from original HB cockpit. This would reveal what a factory new cockpit would look like.

[/Quote]

Never felt the need for installing them. Honestly, when I first time sat in the cat I also disliked the worn look. In the meantime, I love the worn look it. And I really have none problems with the readability, HB just did an awesome job.

Same for the Mig21. I read a lot of people complaining about the canopy. I love it, as it is part of the deal rlying thst thing...

I fly VR and those back panel are literally worn out and unreadable. Yes the light test is not used during normal flight but the radios are a must have. Interestingly, altimeter and altitude gauages are readable in VR.

Maybe thats one point thats mentionable.

What should we take for reference as "readable"?

4K monitor or 1st gen VR headset? Not so easy...

Dude, don't waste your time on him. He can't even answer a single question.

Which question?

I'm writing in this thread, because I think for many people it is easier to complain about something, then spending two or three hours learning something.

Thats why I also want to know an specific readability problem, because say "all is barely not readable" is a very easy approach.

Edited by viper2097

Steam user - Youtube

This is the point I just give up because you just end up in a conversation that goes in circles.

You're right, and we just saw it again :D

I understand it's time-consumming to read the whole thread, but reading the first posts, or a few of the last posts would show that those issues have been discussed and answered already. Few people take the trouble... and I probably have made the same mistake sometimes.

Still, so many back and forth in the same thread is becoming ridiculous, no wonder there are no more "official" replies. This discussion has simply been killed.

Cobra did say to give some feedback, he must be happy ;) (that didn't change anything though)

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

If they could get the custom cockpit option to work , it would be a non issue as community members have already supplied workable options as far as artwork goes , we just need a way to use them without tripping integrity check.