Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

Hi all, here is a comparison between the CV1 and the S regarding the visibility in DCS:

https://youtu.be/smTPpz-XDwg

Intel Core i7 7700K @4.2GHz, Asus Prime Z270-A, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3200MHz, Zotac Geforce GTX 1080Ti Mini, SSD Samsung 850 Evo 500Gb, Samsung 860 Evo 1Tb, LG 34UC-88 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440, Logitech G700s, Logitech G513, Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog, Saitek PRO Flight Rudder Pedals, TrackIr 5, Oculus Rift CV1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree... S is really much much better than CV1 from an image quality point of view. And it's obvious if you put back your CV1 after an hour with the S. :)

Now for sure it's still not perfect, but good enough to fully enjoy DCS, which was not really the case with my CV1.

Yeah I was quite pleasantly surprised by the image quality of the Rift S. And the performance.

Very glad I purchased it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I’m going to go against the grain a bit.

SDE is still extremely evident to me, especially against a clear blue sky.

It is greatly improved from CV1, but by no means is it non-noticeable.

Inside the cockpit and menu clarity is worlds better. Outside the cockpit, the difference is barely noticeable. I was hoping for a marked increase in ball clarity, but it’s hardly better at all. At 0.5nm, I still cannot discern if I am one or 2 dots high vice bang on. You can see low because of the red light, but 1 or 3 dots low is not distinguishable.

I know I’m in the sweetspot because text clarity is good and I can easily see individual pixels. That darn ball just still isn’t clear...

I do have 20/15 uncorrected vision though, so maybe it’s more evident to me.

I’ll give it more time, but for now I’m on the fence about whether it’s worth the cost of upgrade.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Yes it is essential..

Both for headtracking and for controller movement.

Anyway tomorrow i can try if covering it degrades too much the head movement.

I'll let you know

Thanks VirusAm, I appreciate that.

Miles

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/06/01

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Wow im totally blown away, just got his rift s and it crushes my Odyssey plus. Clarity im in disbelief how? Screw it its amazing yes i can see some screen door but the clarity trumps it. The colors wow.

First thing i did was Normandy in the spit and holy crap, i see things in the pit and out the pit ive never seen before in the odyssey. Performance is top notch and it feels smoother to me even though its 80hz.

Second thing i did was case 1 in PG F-18c, totally see the ball and 3 wire every time now. So much easier being able to see that. Everything is readable in the f18 pit without zoom. Even without zoom the mpcd map i see details on that i didn't now where on that map lol.

my steelseries headset fits perfectly over the Rift so amazing sound with that.

Really dont know what else to write this is the standard. Both performance and amazing clarity like im really in shock how good that is.

Dcs is like a whole new sim with this. Very happy with purchase, Odyssey + is shipping to my brother as a hand me down:thumbup:

Oh ps seeing warbirds in the sky soooooo much better now i run pixel density at 1.3 with my rig down below and most settings on high except shadows low and terrain shadows on flat. Amazing performance compared to WMR.

ps my ipd for my actual eyes is 61.7 have rift set for 62 and no issues

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

Wow im totally blown away, just got his rift s and it crushes my Odyssey plus. Clarity im in disbelief how? Screw it its amazing yes i can see some screen door but the clarity trumps it. The colors wow.

First thing i did was Normandy in the spit and holy crap, i see things in the pit and out the pit ive never seen before in the odyssey. Performance is top notch and it feels smoother to me even though its 80hz.

Second thing i did was case 1 in PG F-18c, totally see the ball and 3 wire every time now. So much easier being able to see that. Everything is readable in the f18 pit without zoom. Even without zoom the mpcd map i see details on that i didn't now where on that map lol.

Really dont know what else to write this is the standard. Both performance and amazing clarity like im really in shock how good that is.

Dcs is like a whole new sim with this. Very happy with purchase, Odyssey + is shipping to my brother as a hand me down

Oh ps seeing warbirds in the sky soooooo much better now i run pixel density at 1.3 with my rig down below and most settings on high except shadows low and terrain shadows on flat. Amazing performance compared to WMR.

Good to know it looks better than the Odyssey. I'm holding out until reverb reviews come in though. I've heard enough from here about the rift S that it sounds very decent. I would just have to buy earbuds to plug in because my g933 headset is too bulky.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Dcs is like a whole new sim with this. Very happy with purchase, Odyssey + is shipping to my brother as a hand me down:thumbup:

Hi, how about the SDE compared with Odyssey+?

Thanks!

13700k @5.6GHz | 32GB DDR4 4000MHz CL14 | ASUS Z690 TUF  | GIGABYTE RTX4090 Gaming OC | Samsung 970PRO 512G + 980PRO 2T

GIGABYTE M32U | HP Reverb G2

Warthog HOTAS | TPR | JetSeat | TrackIR5

Windows 11

DOA

Mine showed up today DOA never could get it to connect (no light in the headset) my old rift always worked flawlessly back to amazon.I even reinstalled the oculus home software and reinstalled nothing helped back to track ir because the rift is undoable for me.

Hi, how about the SDE compared with Odyssey+?

Thanks!

More sde with rift s but it crushes the odyssey with clarity. Image is so much better to my eyes. Makes me feel like why did I waste my time with the OD+ and that anti sde coating, it really ruined the picture with that.

My conclusion with Rift S is that full RGB LCD show more superior in general than OLED. More subpixels in 4:4:4 chroma is essential for clarity and text reading against 4:2:2 on OLED. The only benefit for OLED was color but Rift S shows how with good color calibration it is not much behind but clarity kick OLEDs ass even with lower res and PPD.

How much I was disappointed with CV1, more with lunching price not much by performances, now RS positively surprise me.

I don't know how much people remember some of my debate for CV1 when I was openly talking about such a solution with a single display that resolution. Now all these people who were talking how I don't know what I'm talking about will switch from CV1 to R-S which is exactly same specs as I was talking about 3 years ago CV1 should be. 90Hz is included in that debate too.

This is my little personal satisfaction and victory for all that insults received for it. But forget about it, it is not worth mention it now when we finally got a great product with proper price-performance ratio.

Rift S is now a great starting point for VR and will do a lot for popularization because providing dissent clarity great performances for a good price.

400$ is a good price for launching a new product but if you have time wait. In six months Rift S will be 300$ what is a realistic price for it but if you want it now 400$ is OK.

My conclusion with Rift S is that full RGB LCD show more superior in general than OLED. More subpixels in 4:4:4 chroma is essential for clarity and text reading against 4:2:2 on OLED. The only benefit for OLED was color but Rift S shows how with good color calibration it is not much behind but clarity kick OLEDs ass even with lower res and PPD.

How much I was disappointed with CV1, more with lunching price not much by performances, now RS positively surprise me.

I don't know how much people remember some of my debate for CV1 when I was openly talking about such a solution with a single display that resolution. Now all these people who were talking how I don't know what I'm talking about will switch from CV1 to R-S which is exactly same specs as I was talking about 3 years ago CV1 should be. 90Hz is included in that debate too.

This is my little personal satisfaction and victory for all that insults received for it. But forget about it, it is not worth mention it now when we finally got a great product with proper price-performance ratio.

Rift S is now a great starting point for VR and will do a lot for popularization because providing dissent clarity great performances for a good price.

400$ is a good price for launching a new product but if you have time wait. In six months Rift S will be 300$ what is a realistic price for it but if you want it now 400$ is OK.

Amen, im still in shock how much more clarity and readability there is with this Rift S. Also im glad it came with the crappy head strap audio as i can use my awesome Steelseries Headset and have the best VR sound ive ever had LOL.

Ya that 4:4:4 Chroma must be the magic because its just so clear and details wow. Doing a overhead break in Normandy and seeing the full highly detailed wind sock was NUTS.

Agree with most comments, great improvements on image clarity and cockpit readability and sharpness.

I can read the M2000 fuel gauge and bandit altitude on radar from default position at PD 1.2.

Performances are excellent without changing previous settings in use with my CV1.

The downsides to me are comfort and FOV :

CV1 was just plug and play, did not have to adjust anything each time.

I find the sweet spot harder to find and narrower.

I also feel that FOV is significantly reduced with more blurry edges.

I cannot tell if this is because of IPD or not, but I feel I'm going to need to adapt to the headset (was more natural on CV1 for me).

Aorus Z690i, 13600K @5.5ghz, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3600 C16, SSD WD SN850 black, HP Reverb G2, Virpil WarBRD + MongoosT50 CM2 grip

Got mine hooked up. So far works well without any issues. Resolution is much better but not mind blowingly better. It’s pretty clear though and a definite step up. You can now read most screens and switches without having to lean in as long as the cockpit is illuminated. Sound is fine for me. Performance for me seems smoother than with cv1 for some reason. Just more glass smooth. Colors are much brighter as is the gamma. I had to turn it two notches down in fact it was so bright compared to the cv1. At the moment I have nothing bad to say about it. I’ll move my cv1 over to my main gaming rig now I guess where there’s more room to do room scale stuff unlike in my cockpit area.

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Nope. I just unplugged the old stuff and plugged in the new and it picks it right up.

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Having spent a bit more time with my Rift S in a few different sims, it seems very well suited to flight sims, as the biggest jump in clarity is with foreground detail, i.e. the instrument panel. In driving sims you are looking outside the vehicle much more and I see noticeable but less striking improvement with distant landscape across all sims. I'd say DCS, X-Plane, AFS2 are the biggest winners because of that foreground clarity.

The Bionik Mantis clip on phones are doing a good job too, not fantastic sound, but definitely acceptable and infinitely better than default. For £37 I'd recommend them as a first upgrade as they are attached to the headband and flip out of the way when you need them to, similar to CV1

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

Left eye clear...right eye blurry like I have grease on it. If I move the Rift over to the right a bit then the right eye is clear but the Rift won't naturally stay in that position.

I have exactly the same experience as you. I thought I must have inadvertently touched the lens and got a finger print smear on it.

I'm new to VR and am loving it, but the smear effect is annoying.

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

I guess you want my settings that I just switched over to which give me 80 FPS pretty consistently in VR, right?

Assuming so, here ya go. Please keep in mind that I haven't really experimented much to see which settings had the most impact. I pretty much just put everything down to a lower setting than I had been running in the past. Truthfully though, I couldn't really see much of a visual difference between these new lower settings and my maxed out settings from before. Game still looks amazing.

Madmatt

Hey Madmatt

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply.

I have a new computer, and havent played DCS in years so its been a brain teasing few weeks trying to remember how to set everything up. Adding VR to the mix has really confused things. I did try reading forum posts and watching videos but they often related to older version and things had changed, so I appreciate you letting me know your current settings.

As a complete newbie to VR, I have some dumb questions if you dont mind:

1. What do you set your PD to? I believe this effects sharpness. I certainly am finding it difficult to read some cockpit dials and labels, and especially the digital display in the A10. I have to lean right in to try and make it legible.

2. Your settings show a resolution of 34440x1440. has that go anything to do with the Rift. Mine is set to 1280x1024.

3.When in VR is the display still supposed to show on your monitor? Mine does. Is that how its supposed to be an doesnt that then create additional work for the GPU having to output to 2 devices?

4. Is there a way (like with the TrackIR) you can change the sensitivity of the head movement. I feal like im breaking my neck trying to look behind me. Be great to be able to turn my head less in real life.

Do you use something like VoiceAttack? I have no idea how I am going to get used to not being able to see my keyboard.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks again.

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

Do the CV1 drivers and software have to be uninstalled before installing Rift S?

Actually I had to uninstall the old and install clean to proceed. But my oculus failed to update after disconnecting old CV1 month ago when I sold it. That probably caused the thing.

Ryzen 7 2700X | MSI Trio 1080Ti | MSI X470 Plus Motherboard | 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator 2933 DDR4 | M.2 XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro SSD | Virpil Mongoost-50 throttle | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | MFG Crosswind | Rift S

The edges are slightly blurred but maybe it was so in the CV1 too, maybe here it is more evident since all is clearer and sharper. It is wearable with glasses but not so comfortable, I'll order lenses adapters from WIDMOvr since my VR Lens Lab CV1 adapters are not compatible. With small lenses instead of glasses I could keep the screen closer and maybe also reduce the slight blur on the edges. For 200 bucks (I've sold my CV1 for 250) it is definitely a huge upgrade over CV1.

I've had some issues with a black screen on my first plug, then I reinstalled oculus software and checked cable connections (look at HMD's side plug too) and now it works flawlessly.

I'd have preferred a green cross like in CV1 instead of a field to fill with a number to set the IPD, since I do not know exactly mine (maybe something between 68 and 70). I think I'll go visit an optician to have it measured.

Hand controllers tracking, although not needed for DCS, is absolutely good... and I have some free USB ports!!

Edited by nessuno0505

There are apps that you can download onto your phone that will give you your ipd. You could try that first and if it doesn’t work then see the optician.

Any good one for free? Android/iphone is the same for me. I see well with the standard 63.5 but i'm just curios to check mine. I remembered that the last time from the optician he tell me 64 but i don't remember my cv1 setting. It's a shame they don't use the green cross to have a visual feedback on the fly...