Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

Now this one looks more believable. :)

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks about like what one would expect, and in line with Wags comments about improved clarity of text and the like.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

That was a nice review. Looking forward to my S even more. thanks!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Hey Wags, are you still under the NDA, or has it been lifted for you (lots of reviews up on YT from tech reviewers). Inquiring minds wouldn't mind hearing your opinion of how the Rift S stacks up against other VR HMDs you've used in DCS, specifically the first Rift, but also the Odyssey you had used for a while, etc. I'd really like to know specifically what you think of the Rift S in DCS compared to the Odyssey/+.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

Hey Wags, are you still under the NDA, or has it been lifted for you (lots of reviews up on YT from tech reviewers). Inquiring minds wouldn't mind hearing your opinion of how the Rift S stacks up against other VR HMDs you've used in DCS, specifically the first Rift, but also the Odyssey you had used for a while, etc. I'd really like to know specifically what you think of the Rift S in DCS compared to the Odyssey/+.

Yes, this would be great if Wags could write some lines!

it would be interesting to know, how good the experience is when ASW has to kick in, resulting in only 40fps compared to the legacy rifts 45fps.

Artifacting should be more pronounced, as there needs to be more temporal extrapolation, compared to a 45hz or 60hz "base", where less temporal extrapolation needs to be done to get to the intermediate "filler" frame.

it would be interesting to know, how good the experience is when ASW has to kick in, resulting in only 40fps compared to the legacy rifts 45fps.

Artifacting should be more pronounced, as there needs to be more temporal extrapolation, compared to a 45hz or 60hz "base", where less temporal extrapolation needs to be done to get to the intermediate "filler" frame.

The pimax is set for 72hz and drops to 36, its not ideal but it does ok is.

My problems with that is their implementation of motion smoothing, isn't really that smooth nowhere near as "almost there" as ASW 1.0 is in comparison.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Oculus was kind enough to send us a couple Rift S kits to ensure best performance in DCS World.

Still begs the question, what are you actually working on to ensure the best performance in DCS:W with the Rift S kits you received? I.e. is there any optimization on the software side in the pipeline?

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

ASW 2.0 needs software compatibility, this is, its needs the developer to implement things on their side, like depth information in their 3D models. I'm sure thanks to this DCS will be a ASW 2.0 compatible title soon :)

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

it’s barely a 11% difference, so probably not that noticeable.

One could argue, that the 11% is only for the difference in base fps, similar to the 80hz/90hz without ASW. However the experience with ASW might be worse, because not only do you get 11% less "real" frames, but the extrapolated frames - and that is my main point - will be less precise, because they need more temporal extrapolation than when running from a higher base fps.

If this matters i don't know, but if you had to quantify the experience, it should be more than 11% less smooth. (11% for base fps + X% for less precise smoothing).

The pimax is set for 72hz and drops to 36, its not ideal but it does ok is.

My problems with that is their implementation of motion smoothing, isn't really that smooth nowhere near as "almost there" as ASW 1.0 is in comparison.

I would assume, that Pimax Smoothing struggles, not because their algorithm is much worse, but because it is much harder to extrapolate from only 36fps.

On the opposite, it would be very easy to have an smoothing algorithm, that works with 72fps and pushes it to 144hz, simply because the predicted motion between steps is much smaller.

On the opposite, it would be very easy to have an smoothing algorithm, that works with 72fps and pushes it to 144hz, simply because the predicted motion between steps is much smaller.

Probably not for DCS, maybe 60fps then up to 120, maybe.

The pimax need to be set for 72, since without regardless since what I can get out my system even at potato settings the Pimax can't get more than 40.

So I can set it for 90, fail to get 45, and thus no smoothing at all, or set for 72, and get 36 with some smoothing.

And yes there is huge visual difference between Oculus ASW and pimax, or Steamvr's motion smoothing.

They truly are a step ahead in this game.

Trust me, you would not notice the difference between 90 and 80.

The reason why 80 look so horrible in the current hmds is because they are tuned to run at 90, and when they don't run at that the hardware and software freak out.

Edited by Bob_Bushman

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

I'm looking forward to hear from some folks that upgrade from the Rift to the Rift S, just for comparisons sake. :D

Obviously you have things like camera settings, lenses etc - but that is the same for all so a interesting comparison anyway. I know as a Rift owner I am sold on the Rift S...just need to try one out first to check fit/comfort and IPD.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for posting that French review. Very encouraging on the clarity in particular, and backs up Wag’s post about everything being readable in DCS. This chap reckons that the clarity is somewhere between the Pimax 8k and the 5k+. Again shows that the optics are as important as the resolution. Rift S seems a pretty no-regrets upgrade for DCS and X-Plane etc at this stage.

Thanks for posting that French review. Very encouraging on the clarity in particular, and backs up Wag’s post about everything being readable in DCS. This chap reckons that the clarity is somewhere between the Pimax 8k and the 5k+. Again shows that the optics are as important as the resolution. Rift S seems a pretty no-regrets upgrade for DCS and X-Plane etc at this stage.

Pimax isn't even using the full panel, depends on how much the S does but it is possible that it could look even better than the pimax if it's got the lenses for it.

I don't know why hard-core vr enthusiast thinks the move from gen 1 to 2 should be almost as massive as experiencing VR for the time again.

Then again this the s isn't gen 2, it's trying to make a device easier to use with hardware far more people have.

Hardly any has a less than two years old $3000 gaming rig.

That's what the index will require to play something more complex than beat saber.

Hardly any has a less than two years old $3000 gaming rig.

That's what the index will require to play something more complex than beat saber.

I don't see how the index will be more demanding than the Vive Pro. The higher refresh rates are optional and will give you way more versatility when coupled with motion smoothing.

So you could try to aim for 45fps+MS/90hz, 60fps+MS/120hz, or 90fps/90hz. I agree, that you probably can't get native 120hz working with dcs, but you don't have to...

I don't want to derail this thread though. I am also looking forward to the first in depth reviews of the rift S and i also consider buying it, since it looks like good value.

I just wanted to make sure that people realise the potential of the index high refresh rate, especially when coupled with Motion Smoothing to get 60fps/120hz, which might just work in dcs with the upcoming VR performance patch.

Oculus store charged my card. Is coming!

Congrats!

Ugh I just checked mine, Oculus tried to charge mine and my bank put a lock on my CC I guess they thought this transaction might have been flaky -called and got it unlocked, but now my order status just says " On hold unable to authorize payment method".

So I am not sure what I need to do here, cancel the order and resubmit or will Oculus try to run it again later? I hate they do not have phone support.

Edit: Got it ordered from Amazon , still showing 21st as ship date and I am a Prime member. Oculus is now showing the 31st ship date on new orders. Cancelled the Oculus order.

Whew.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|