Aligning objects

muehlema

Hi

Recently I have been trying to build some objects around the airports.

AA gun emplacement with surrounded sand bags or checkpoints at the road.

Unfortunately I am not able to place and align the sandbags properly around the AA unit.

Any tips on how to make it look nicely?

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

How?

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

After a little practice you'll develop a sense of how large objects are and where they sit relative to each other based on the icons.

There has been talk of a 3D preview function in the mission editor but it has not yet been implemented. Until such time as it is, just play with it until you get it. :)

Once you have groups of units set in a way you like, you can save a template for future use.

There's a piece of software that allows you to move objects in game when it's running. I don't know that it works on 2.5.

I believe it's called witchcraft...

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

• 3 months later...
since it is currently not possible to have 2 instances of 2.5 the other solution is likely not an option at this time.

It is possible by putting a file called dcs_variant.txt in it. In the file you just put a number and done.

However, to use witchcraft this way you would need need the asset pack 2 times, as you need multiple accounts to run it dcs that way.

8<

AA gun emplacement with surrounded sand bags ...

8<

What sandbags are you using?

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Open your MissionEditor.lua with notepad++, then delete the two -- before test_topdown_view_models = true, and you are good to go.

This is the best solution. It mostly works. There are 1-2 things where it doesn't handle the rotation correctly, but nearly everything is rended in 2D, so you can get an idea of size and orientation.

VERY USEFUL!

I think most of the issue with this, are issues with the objects themselves, which is what ever pointer or hotspot or whatever determines what the facing direction is, often has nothing to do with what is logically the player would expect the facing direction ought to be.

EG the Bofors, when you set their facing direction (even without the 2D on map graphics), for example to 90° (due east), in mission when you look at the unit, it's gun barrel is pointing at 270°(due west).

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

EG the Bofors, when you set their facing direction (even without the 2D on map graphics), for example to 90° (due east), in mission when you look at the unit, it's gun barrel is pointing at 270°(due west).

All trailered/ pulled units are like this. Think of the towing-connector as the "front" of the unit, rather than the muzzle of the gun being the front.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

Since you cannot limber these guns, if they are on the map, they will be operational. So if the player is putting one on the map, he's interested in which direction the barrel is pointing.

There are other objects which are illogical as well. The NTTR revetment for example. IMHO logically the side which should point toward the enemy should be the orientation; but the side open for aircraft to taxi in to it, could also be considered to be a logical choice, but off to the side between these two?!?! :doh: But at least with the 2D view you can see which way it is pointing.

But with the Bofors, at least I cannot l tell which is front or back for looking at the 2D view.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Yes, they can, but when the gun has no targets at which to aim, the barrel returns to its ready position, which is the direction it points per default. It is only logical the player has this as its reference.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler