VR upgrade: CPU or GPU?

Nealius

Current specs are in my sig, but to recap:

i5-7600 (non-K); RTX2070, Odyssey Plus.

In 2D I get great performance with all most max settings, though with recent updates trees have started hitting my framerates a little.

Problem is VR: I only get solid 45fps in the air. I'm typically around 35-40 down low and when there's some action, 30-35 in resource hogs like the Tomcat while on the ramp or carrier. I usually have to turn all shadows completely off, which causes almost unplayable canopy glare in some modules and in general makes the cockpit hard to read. PD typically around 1.2, and visibility/clarity isn't that great either.

I'm looking to upgrade either my CPU to an i7-9700k (though I probably won't make use of overclocking), or my GPU to a RTX2080. The CPU upgrade looks to be the easiest on my wallet since the 2080 is around $850.....practically the total cost of my entire current rig. I'd like to get solid 45fps regardless of cities/trees/action, with shadows set to low, and maybe bump my PD up to 1.4 or 1.5. Which would offer better VR performance in DCS?

In your situation i'll go for the 9700K. I have similar results as you, only i have all the setings on maximum (cockpit readings excellent but i have the reverb). I overclocked the cpu and gpu.

Now the situation is that DCS is very CPU related. In future not any more. In the meantime you can save money to buy the next gen GPU around april/may 2020.

Good luck with your decission. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Now the situation is that DCS is very CPU related.

This was and would be the case but only outside VR. When using VR it's now more like 50:50, CPU and GPU have about the same importance.

In the meantime you can save money to buy the next gen GPU around april/may 2020.

Don't forget you'll get money back selling your old GPU after upgrading. So an GPU upgrade would only cost 850$ initially, in the end, after selling your old GPU it was more like 400 or so. So you might even step up to a Super 2080 or even Ti.

Current specs are in my sig, but to recap:

i5-7600 (non-K); RTX2070, Odyssey Plus.

In 2D I get great performance with all most max settings, though with recent updates trees have started hitting my framerates a little.

Problem is VR: I only get solid 45fps in the air. I'm typically around 35-40 down low and when there's some action, 30-35 in resource hogs like the Tomcat while on the ramp or carrier. I usually have to turn all shadows completely off, which causes almost unplayable canopy glare in some modules and in general makes the cockpit hard to read. PD typically around 1.2, and visibility/clarity isn't that great either.

I'm looking to upgrade either my CPU to an i7-9700k (though I probably won't make use of overclocking), or my GPU to a RTX2080. The CPU upgrade looks to be the easiest on my wallet since the 2080 is around $850.....practically the total cost of my entire current rig. I'd like to get solid 45fps regardless of cities/trees/action, with shadows set to low, and maybe bump my PD up to 1.4 or 1.5. Which would offer better VR performance in DCS?

get fpsVR tool; not free, but dirty cheap and very useful when detecting the rigs bottleneck

https://store.steampowered.com/app/908520/fpsVR/

i7-7820X@4.5Ghz; GPU 3080Ti, 64GB RAM, HP Reverb G2; VKB Ultimate stick; VIRPIL Throttle; Slaw Pedals; custom AX&BTN BOX

Using an SSD for DCS, but HDD for OS. I guess I should be looking at a CPU upgrade for more of the smoothness/shadows then. I probably just have to deal with the PD with VR cockpit mods and labels mods, I guess. Should I go for K or non-K if I don't plan on overclocking? I don't have the cooling equipment (or knowledge) to keep an overclocked rig cool in the hot, humid, Japanese summers.

Thanks on the videos :)