Helicopter EFM Demo

OK just took the new version with Trim for a fly, makes a massive difference in terms of fine control and reactions when the aircraft is trimmed rather than flying at full deflection of the joystick

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

Thanks for the update and keeping it fresh and going forward :thumbup:

I found the trim option really welcome also, however, I wonder if a "classic" trim option could be added like trim and trim reset, the same way it works for Mi-8 and Huey. Maybe this hello does not work this way, I just do not know, but I would love if you could add this feature at some point as I still struggle a bit to control it without this kind of trim control, however, of course, new trim option helps :].

Also about the new feature: - Added option to remove weapon platform

I was hoping to have the classic "Hardpoints" checker box in the mission editor. I do not manage to find where to tweak this.

I am quite a fan of civilian/SAR Helo flying here in DCS, and when I saw this new addition I was indeed very excited.

Adding to the livery lua:

custom_args = {
[310] = 1.0,
}

It does not seem to work. Any clue about how it is supposed to be done?

Best!

Trim reset does seem to be the next step. Am really enjoying being able to trim back to neutral and go for a fly though. Id rather get torque and N2/NR at this point and some more engine function. the trim gets it useable, it would be good to get some more functionality in.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

cw1.png

I've never expect that my favor helo will apear in DCS. I tryed find all possibly photos of this helo in net. Till now i was fly this helicopter mostly in ARMA3 and sometimes in FSX. I just fly a while and i must say i'm so happy even with all limitation with FM , textures and other thing. THANK YOU FOR YOR WORK.

Just to ‘hype’ this thread a little bit more for all you rotorheads:

Nibbylot not only created the foundation for an OH-6 flight model.

It is also a blueprint for at least any other helo which is included in the test data of the NASA document.

That means the flight model could also be used as a starting point for a AH-1G since all the data for that bird is also included in the NASA document.

A question for nibbylot:

The aerodynamics data of the NASA document is so to say the data backbone of your flight model.

You transferred the table data of the NASA document (page 26 and following) one-to-one into the file AH6AeroData.h.

DCS has the particularity of swapped axes in it’s coordinate system (y and z are swapped compared to the ‘official’ definition in the aerospace industry).

From my understanding that means that transferring data from an original source with the official x,y,z-scheme has to be adapted to the DCS coordinate system.

CptSmiley did that in his F16 flight model too. He swapped the y and z axis data compared to the original source which he used as input.

For example he did not just takeover the moments of inertia values as they can be found in the original source but he swapped the values of y and z against each other.

In the file API_Declare.h the coordinate system is defined according to the DCS notation.

Body coordinate system system is always X - positive forward, Y - positive up, Z - positive to right.

Does that mean your flight model handles the axis swap ‘internally’ so input data of an original source can be used without axis swap?

Could say some clarifying words on that topic?

Thanks a lot!

Edited by Rifter

Hello!

Firstly I would want to thank nibbylot for providing us all with a free helicopter! It looks fantastic and I can't wait to see further development of the Little Bird! Thank you!

But the thing is...I can't map any flight controls. What I mean by that is the only mappable buttons I can configure is the cyclic trim and the throttle. No collective or cyclic.

I tried reinstalling the mod and replacing the EFB source code, but no dice.

I followed Grim Reapers' tutorial too, but it just doesn't work for me.

I'll see if there are any new DCS updates, and if that works I'll let you know.

Once again, thanks!

Hello!

Firstly I would want to thank nibbylot for providing us all with a free helicopter! It looks fantastic and I can't wait to see further development of the Little Bird! Thank you!

But the thing is...I can't map any flight controls. What I mean by that is the only mappable buttons I can configure is the cyclic trim and the throttle. No collective or cyclic.

I tried reinstalling the mod and replacing the EFB source code, but no dice.

I followed Grim Reapers' tutorial too, but it just doesn't work for me.

I'll see if there are any new DCS updates, and if that works I'll let you know.

Once again, thanks!

As I expected, didn't fix the issue...welp

Everything looks cool except for the flickering rotor. I guess there's a problem with rotor speed LOD switching, where max-speed rotor should look like a blurred ring or something like that. If kept separate, it will be flickering.

If I'm not mistaken greater transparency will solve the texturing.

Otherwise again great progress, I'm looking forward to the next improvements.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

That Littlebird reluctantly gaining altitude, nor will it help the speed with full collective.

Today I've done this with the Huey, the fully loaded calmly rises from a place much more efficiently.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

Colevtive and Cycclic tuning

Firstly I would want to thank nibbylot for this free helicopter, which was missing for a long time.

Since I am not proficient in tweaking the flight model and the controls I would like to make some suggestions for those who are.

1. The controls stay most of the time near the limit (especially the collective) which restrict tuning (tuning has managed to improve the Gazelle's behaviour considerably).

2. Adding a trim button to the cyclic might help too.

So I figured out the issue with the rockets that has been mentioned in a number of the review videos. If you apply the default load out in the mission editor it has Practice rockets and the M-134 so the guns will do damage but the rockets wont. If you swap out the 7x practice rockets for the 19 HE rockets it does a bit better...

cw1.png

If I start the mission only I see the DCS World, not able to fly this MOD.

Regards

Tango Lima

Did you set the aircraft as player?

cw1.png

and you followed the install instructions and put it in your saved game folder? theres a GR video which explains how to do this. I had no problems getting it to run, works the same as the A4 or MB339

cw1.png

no tiene forma de estabilizarlo es muy inestable en modo real y vuelo facil le falta destruccion me cai y no se rompio encima disparaba

Hola THEDYQUIROZ,

Este Helicoptero NO ES NINGUN DESASTRE, es gratis, establece un punto de partida muy importante para el futuro de cualquier otro mod ya que comparte amablemente un EFM open source y no hace falta ningun modulo para volarlo... el helicoptero esta aun en WIP...

Sinceramente, creo que el tono de tu comentario esta bastante fuera de lugar.....:huh:

How do I get a pilot to be shown n the cockpit when using for AI?

Pilot model is not implemented yet

cw1.png

is worth watching to get a feel for the actual MD-530, I've only been flying the littlebird a short while but noticed the slide to the right on Take off and tendency to go backwards. so it seems while its WIP there are some tendencies of the flight model that are fairly accurate.

cw1.png

Yes player, client, hot start ground and air not working

Regards

Tango Lima

All works. - see my video here where it works:

Nibbylot, thank you for the update :) Really glad you developing it further

So I figured out the issue with the rockets that has been mentioned in a number of the review videos. If you apply the default load out in the mission editor it has Practice rockets and the M-134 so the guns will do damage but the rockets wont. If you swap out the 7x practice rockets for the 19 HE rockets it does a bit better...

Yes, this is accurate, the practice rockets does no damage

DCS Playlist

BlueFalcon added a fantastic

My own efforts are no where near as good but slowly improving

Screen-200629-132914.png

Screen-200629-132937.png

Edited by shu77

cw1.png

needs alot of right rudder in the hover followed by right cyclic in the cruise, i notice the MD530 in the earlier video i posted was the same.

cw1.png