KA50 pro tips requested

So,

Learning the black shark, can "kinda" operate most systems, mostly need more practice.

Some questions

1. I've noticed a weird behavior when I get 0 response from the stick, usually letting it center solves it, and I think it may be related to using the trim button. Anyone have thoughts on this? Its caused me to crash a few times but I'm getting better.

2. Turning off the "flight director" is there a visual indication of this being on/off somewhere? I sometimes forget if I have it on or off.

3. ABRIS/NAV.... I'm flying online, so is there any way to import marks from the F10 map like a few other planes can do? I've been punching in waypoints, but its tedious.

4. Kobmat... I often find myself flying into areas with various radar guided sams present, I try to stay low and use terrain but is there a specific altitude that is considered "safe" I'm usually under 50m ~20-30 being typical. I'm getting shot down alot by SA-6/8 and other double digit sams. Not having an RWR sucks. Does going under a certain speed help in this regard. I know IRL most radars reject "low-n-slow" targets.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

So,

Learning the black shark, can "kinda" operate most systems, mostly need more practice.

Some questions

1. I've noticed a weird behavior when I get 0 response from the stick, usually letting it center solves it, and I think it may be related to using the trim button. Anyone have thoughts on this? Its caused me to crash a few times but I'm getting better.

2. Turning off the "flight director" is there a visual indication of this being on/off somewhere? I sometimes forget if I have it on or off.

3. ABRIS/NAV.... I'm flying online, so is there any way to import marks from the F10 map like a few other planes can do? I've been punching in waypoints, but its tedious.

4. Kobmat... I often find myself flying into areas with various radar guided sams present, I try to stay low and use terrain but is there a specific altitude that is considered "safe" I'm usually under 50m ~20-30 being typical. I'm getting shot down alot by SA-6/8 and other double digit sams. Not having an RWR sucks. Does going under a certain speed help in this regard. I know IRL most radars reject "low-n-slow" targets.

The stick response is about trimming. There are a couple different modes to try and make it work with non-ffb sticks. The one you’re talking about requires the stick to be centered before you regain control. The other mode gives you a short time (I think about a second) to center your stick before it fully kicks in. I don’t remember the names of each mode, but some of the really old stickies on the forum talk about adjusting timing and such.

There is a button that temporarily disabled the flight director (rather than pushing the blue button) and when it’s deactivated there are some horizontal hash marks on your hud on the horizon

I don’t think there is a way of importing anything to the abris as far as I know

As far as sams. If there are radar sams nearby then you’re in the wrong battleground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I3570K @ 4.5Ghz, 16Gb DDR3 @ 2400, Vega64 @1080p

Yes also wondering about looking through trees, or considering height above trees/buildings.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Enemies used to look (and sometimes shoot) through all sorts of terrain, but as far as I can tell that got fixed quite a while ago. As all DCS AI units they can pinpoint you if you stick out an inch somewhere, though, so that's that.

There is no way to link the F10 map with ABRIS, but if I'm not mistaken there is a possibility to save flight plans to a file and restore them later, so you could have pre-made flight plans in files to save yourself some time when you play certain scenarios regularly.

For Radar SAM, their code is 10m ground minimum. If you fly below it you are perfectly safe from them. You can even have fun rolling behind them on roads ;)

How about stuff like Shilkas and radar guided AAA?

Enemies used to look (and sometimes shoot) through all sorts of terrain, but as far as I can tell that got fixed quite a while ago. As all DCS AI units they can pinpoint you if you stick out an inch somewhere, though, so that's that.

There is no way to link the F10 map with ABRIS, but if I'm not mistaken there is a possibility to save flight plans to a file and restore them later, so you could have pre-made flight plans in files to save yourself some time when you play certain scenarios regularly.

For me this is for online play, so its all pretty dynamic. I usually punch in what I need to the PVI and my actual target point into the ABRIS so I know when I'm closing in on it and can decide how I want to approach it.

They seem to still know where you are, even if your behind terrain. After I was shot down the other day, I stayed around watching the battle in the mission Battle.miz. I was watching a Russian SPA (self-propelled artillery) that was tracking an M1 tank. The SPA was behind a small shed that was about 15 feet away and in a patch of trees. He couldn't see the tank because it was blocked by the building, but I had labels on, so I could see where it was. Yet, he was tracking it, his turret moving with the path of the M1. When it cleared the building, and before it was blocked again by a tree, the SPA fired.

A while back I had set up a mission to attack a vehicle base with two Mi-24's patrolling it at about 10ft above the ground. I was going to sneak up at very low level, behind some large hills, to get closer for a surprise attack. To my surprise, the copters came over the hill to attack me, even though they couldn't possibly have seen me.

This is before we got solid trees, so I'll have to try it again. But I highly suspect that the enemy AI can still see through everything. They just don't fire now, if blocked.

@Harlikwin - My experience is, the SAM's are the least of your problems. It's the fighters and other heli's that are deadly. I was flying a few feet above the streets between large buildings once, and an A-10 just shredded me with his gun. They can get at you no matter where you are. Battle.miz is especially bad, because it drops you (if you start flying) just a few km from 4 AH-1W attack helicopters that are on a path coming right at you. And they always seem to be more interested in you, than the tanks, if your somewhat close.

Edited by 3WA

>Switch off central Position Trimmer mode ( Yes its more hard to fly but Central position trimmer mode zeroes all input till your stick wasnt perfectly centered).

:huh: >OK ….but the HUD should be different ?!?

>

Only in ME > prepare flight. There is no way to import Data to the Abris on the fly. You have to draw yourself into the Abris

>

LR SAM 50m max AGL

MED SAM 15-25m (depends on system)

SR SAM less than 10 m AGL (like SA-6 or SA-8 and even worse SA-19)

:D ISE

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

Currently they don't see behind trees.

But AI keeps your position in memory for some seconds. So if you hide, and after 2 seconds peek out from your tree, then he will get your ass.

AAA radar don't have the minimal altitude. Only radar SAM like SA-8, 6, 11, 15....... Tunguska don't have the minimal altitude either.

Actually on DCS SAM are a bit well... Too much. In the French ALAT they have a 1981 Sa-8 for testing. It wasn't able to detect a Gazelle from 2000 m.

I was messing with this just the other day. Turning on FD, I saw 2 "Pillars" (best I can describe it) appear on the center of the HUD. I'm assuming that's the indicator that FD is on.

Plus, remember, in the broken Shark cockpit, lights off is on, and lights on is off.

Thanks all!

Another dumb qustion, how do i revert back to a nav mode after selecting/using weapons or the skval?

Also my shkval seems to periodically reset, that normal?

Thanks all!

Another dumb qustion, how do i revert back to a nav mode after selecting/using weapons or the skval?

Also my shkval seems to periodically reset, that normal?

The skval reset button on the collective returns to nav mode.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

@3WA, careful.

In flight director mode you will see a bank reference appear, which can be modified when using the TRIM. This is due to the fact that in helicopter, you want to work with specific banks : this amount of collective + this bank = this speed. Learning to fly an helicopter you learn its "reference banks", where you know that with this amount of torque plus this bank, you get for example 120 km/h, or 150 km/h and +5 m/sec of climb rate etc etc etc. Knowing them allows you to fly very safely even in low visibility situations.

If you see "vertical pilars" going from the bank indicators, then it is because you have your altitude hold autopilot engaged, and so the size of the pilar indicates you if you're below or above the memorized altitude and how much.

You want to use flight director mode for rockets pass for example. The Kamov SAS have a "compensation" function when shooting rockets, I'm sure you see what I mean : the helicopter is going to raise quite brutally its nose. It is not the rockets recoil, it's the SAS which do something tricky I never really understood the purpose of (except not being accurate). Enabling the flight director when shooting rockets will disable this effect, allowing you to shoot all your rockets without moving at all. A nice way to see this SAS effect in action is simply to shoot all your rockets, then once empty, push again on the fire button. Even without rockets to shoot, the helicopter will brutally raise its nose.

@Harlikwin

For the shkval reset it is normal. Your shkval is nothing else than a peripheral, like your mouse on a computer or your screen. Every system you see in the Kamov, PVI-800, PRTZ etc are peripherals wich are plug in the main PrPNK computer. So it is wrong for example to consider that the PVI-800 is the INU system. The PVI-800 ios nothing else than a keyboard you use to get datas in the PrPNK. So this computer features an inertial navigation unit (INU), which allows you to know your own coordinates, use autopilot features, memorize coordinates via the shkval... But an INU is nothing else than a blind mechanic system, as you fly across the map, it is going to make some little approximations, mistakes, which, once cumulated, are going to cause even bigger mistakes, and so after several hundreds kilometers, you will get, depending on your aircraft and its INU quality, between 2 and 20 km of error.

To avoid this issue and get it as accurate as possible,the INU in the PrPNK gets reset by the satellite datas from the Abris every 300 seconds (or is it 600, I never remember). When it gets reset, you will see the characteristic "old cathodic TV image" on your shkval. The very nice consequence of this is that your INU never needs to be manually reset with new reference coordinates and will be nearly as accurate as if it was a GPS. Such combination is extensively used on liners for example because when you have to cross the whole Atlantic, you don't want to end with a 50 km error ;)

You can find the countdown of this reset in the Abris. Main menu/CTRL/K-041 if my memory is exact.

Nicolas

Edited by dimitriov

The skval reset button on the collective returns to nav mode.

For the life of me I can't find this command, what is it called? there is nothing in bindings called skval reset.

I always just turn the shkval off, then back on. Been a while since I did this. I think it's BACKSPACE ?

Or, you can just use the helmet mounted sight to just set it to somewhere new. Easiest thing to do. H button to pull up the sight. Then O to designate.

Not sure about the shkval reseting on it's own. Though it does lose power once in a while, if you strain the engines.

Edited by 3WA

And I've heard minimum speed for A2A radar to track you is 70 knots. I've tried it flying around above flat terrain in crowded server and came back to base intact. Lol

Edited by Oceandar

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

For the life of me I can't find this command, what is it called? there is nothing in bindings called skval reset.

It is the reset button on targeting panel, just next laser switch. (Above collective).

So if you have laser, HMS, A-A, Auro-turn etc binded, it is then same group in settings.

So when you have bindings open, press one of those and check what group it belongs. Then filter that group and you find it there.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

And I've heard minimum speed for A2A radar to track you is 70 knots. I've tried it flying around above flat terrain in crowded server and came back to base intact. Lol

Not really.

Your rotor above you is constantly rotating at near sound barrier.

Going on all directions, at various speeds etc.

You can't hide from a radar unless you turn your engines off.

Your fuselage speed doesn't matter, your rotor disk does..

But radar requires special mode to filter the rotor to get a valid targeting data. Otherwise rotor is huge noise jammer that blinds radar from that area.

That is one reason why helicopters has special cases in airfields etc as they cause lots of trouble. And why wind turbines cause bad radar blocking on radars etc.

So no matter what you do, Doppler effect is there at high speed, to all directions even at the wind turbine speeds.

Look for "Button Targeting mode reset"

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

Not really.

But radar requires special mode to filter the rotor to get a valid targeting data. Otherwise rotor is huge noise jammer that blinds radar from that area.

That is one reason why helicopters has special cases in airfields etc as they cause lots of trouble. And why wind turbines cause bad radar blocking on radars etc.

So no matter what you do, Doppler effect is there at high speed, to all directions even at the wind turbine speeds.

I was not talking about real life but in DCS. A well known virtual squad have tested it. But I must add that AWACS seem to be able to detect no matter what as long as you're not behind an object or something.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

I was not talking about real life but in DCS. A well known virtual squad have tested it. But I must add that AWACS seem to be able to detect no matter what as long as you're not behind an object or something.

I was talking that DCS should be changed.

Not really.

Do radars normally filter it out? I.e. its low and slow so its not what I'm looking for?

It sure didn't in Falcon BMS.

I don't think there was any "filter" you could hit, to tell the computer "no heli's". But it's been a few years since I flew the F-16 in BMS.

Not sure if Ground Radar would see it or not either. Might show up as a vehicle. But I'm sure the radar would know what it was from it's unique Doppler signature.

Edited by 3WA