Guppy

PC Specs:

8700K @ 5.3ghz

1080Ti +200/+500

32GB RAM

1TB SSD for DCS

3 giant radiators keeping things cooled @ 40c under load

Issue

I'm getting absolutely garbage frames in DCS. I've spent the better part of this weekend changing settings and I still cannot read the DDIs and worse my frames are dropping under 30 unless I am in open ocean with nothing around.

I've even tried using the Stock VR settings for DCS and still my frames are at 30.

Steam VR is at 100%. I have tried messing with DCS @ 1.0 and Steam VR between 100-200% and I just am not having any luck with this. I probably could deal with the lackluster visual quality if it was not for me unable to see the DDIs clearly unless I rub my face into them. I've turned off MSAA and that makes things look substantially worse, but yes with significant performance improvements. MSAA off is probably a deal breaker for me.

I have messed with the motion smoothing in Steam VR. It makes things a bit better, however if I look far off my left or right should my sidewinders/stabsa start to jitter/glitch all over the place

Please help - I very much enjoy the VR experience, but as of now It's feeling quite gimmicky in DCS. And I'm likely aiming to return the headset unless I can get these performance issues ironed out.

Here are my settings:

Settings.thumb.jpg.7be4c76cf0d114a5d8378e2bf47d0a88.jpg

Try setting your Nvidia Control Panel settings for DCS back to default ( use global).

Only thing I would set it there is Power Management from Optimal to Prefer Maximum Performance.

Make rest of your graphics settings in the DCS GUI.

If you have not done it in a while, you can also run a Repair of DCS to clean out any fluff that might be in there.

Delete the Metashader and FXO files in your user saved games folder for DCS.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Try setting your Nvidia Control Panel settings for DCS back to default ( use global).

Only thing I would set it there is Power Management from Optimal to Prefer Maximum Performance.

If you have not done it in a while, you can also run a Repair of DCS to clean out any fluff that might be in there.

Did all of that and still 30fps even with Motion Smoothing off. When I turn off MSAA I get 45FPS unless I look at objects then it drops.

Yeah but with his rig he should certainly be seeing better performance. At least I would think - I get better on my system at 5.1 GHz but then I am using Rift.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Try deleting the fxo and metashaders folders from you savedgames/DCS directory.

It can work wonders sometimes.

EDIT: Sorry, seems you've already done that.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

1.5 DCS PD is a little high with MSSA on especially with shadows also on, but it does sound like something is off.

Is this the first time you have used VR, have you ever played it with better performance than you have now?

Also 5.3 GHZ with an 8700K? Are you sure its a stable OC? Even if you have some great cooling tech, these things can often cause problems for all kinds of different reasons. Have you tested it extensively, and how long did you leave it for under load?

I can tell you its not a problem with the game, cause personally I have never had better performance, and I don't even use an OC anymore.

Very smooth, though I do use MS. You might try disabling the OC anyway, just to see, as at 5.3 it might just not jive well with DCS for some reason.

Another thing. Is it a new computer/upgrade? If so did you make sure to do a clean installation of windows?

Unless it's not just an inability to stomach VR/reprojection, combined with graphics settings that are too high, I'd say the problem is on your end somewhere.

But these things are very hard to gauge, as I am sure what is butter smooth for me, would amount to poor performance for others.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

The 8700 is delided and I use liquid metal thermal. The only time it has encountered an issue is 6 hours of CPU stress tests. No game is going to push it that hard and that long.

It's a completely brand new computer built from the ground up back in October and this is the first time I've messed with VR on my system. Every other application/game has flawless performance. It's just DCS in VR that is getting craptacular performance. Elite Dangerous is fine.

I'm still investigating though. I might try to dial back CPU performance, as you suggested just to see.

Update: My overclock is definitely not the issue. I saw less performance dialing down to 5.0 from 5.3.

I did turn shadows to flat only and saw huge performance gains. I'm able to have MSAA on 2x and I'm floating around 40-45 fps I think. I didnt think the shadows would cause so much issue. I'm going to continue to play with settings. My Vive Pro comes today so I'm hoping that will improve the visual quality.

Check out my low end VR settings thread (a few ticks down).

I'm running way less than you and have "ok" performance. My DDI's are still blury from a normal position, so learn to use VR zoom. IIRC even the 2080ti guys have issues with blurry DDI's... Write ED an angry email and tell them to get more interns on fixing the VR code ;)

I'd drop the PD from 1.5 to like 1.2 and see where you are and then go up. Keep the MSAA 2x... Turn down terrain texture (no diff except mem usage), turn off heat blur see if it matters and then drop shadows if you need to.

Also look into the VR shader mod you get about 20-30% more frames using it.

FWIW elite dangerous runs a shitton better than DCS on my rig, so thats normal. DCS is DCS... Literally I can run Elite on MAX vr settings and its fine on my rig. So apples to oranges.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

U have to compromise lots of graphic quality for VR immersion. There isnt hardware available which can give you good fps in VR at high quality.

Yeah but he should have better fps with that rig, gotta sort that out before moving to a higher resolution unit.

Wonder about memory timing but I didn't see that mem overclock did anything for me and question how dependent dcs is on vram speed/timing. I'd be looking at steam and Nvidia drivers, anti-aliasing adds up quickly

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

I think its either shadows, heatblur, or his drivers. The DCS settings are the easiest place to start.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I would back off the Anisotropic filtering to 4x. Are you sure your IPD dial on the headset is set correctly? I know I bump mine. Your cockpit should be readable with your settings. Check your background programs in task manager when you have DCS going. Set the DCS affinity to high in task manager.

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

• 2 months later...

Facing the exact same issue. GTX1080 and Overclocked 7700k and getting 15-20 fps on average in game. Everything set to minumum, 1.2PD, Motion Smoothing Off, SteamVR Config "AllowReprojection" true... I'm totally lost at this point.

HTC Vive - Terrible Performance

Hi All,

Been perusing the forums the last 24 hours looking for a solution. Just recently got a Vive and I cannot for the life of me run DCS 2.5 at anything above ~20 (Nauseating) FPS. I have ALL settings set to minimum, PD is only 1.0, I turned off motion smoothing in SteamVR and on AllowReprojection.

Specs are:

GeForce GTX 1080

32GB Overclocked RAM (3200 base)

i7 7700k @ 4.66ghz

Samsung 970 M2 for install drive

Please for the love of God someone help me, this immersion is 100% of the reason I printed a 300 hour simulator chair, bought a VR headset, and bought DCS Huey. I'm at a loss and I've tried everything I can find on the forums!

Regards,

Kyyrbes

HTC Vive - Terrible Performance

In NVIDIA control panel, reset to default and make sure DSR is off.

In StemVR, use manual override supersampling at 100%.

In DCS setting, try fullscreen mode.

I have a PC with similar specs, your FPS should be higher.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

In NVIDIA control panel, reset to default and make sure DSR is off.

In StemVR, use manual override supersampling at 100%.

In DCS setting, try fullscreen mode.

I have a PC with similar specs, your FPS should be higher.

Not sure which setting it was but I'm get 45FPS now! Still kinda low but at least tolerable!

I don't know who you are or where you come from but you are MY HERO tonight!!!

Facing the exact same issue. GTX1080 and Overclocked 7700k and getting 15-20 fps on average in game. Everything set to minumum, 1.2PD, Motion Smoothing Off, SteamVR Config "AllowReprojection" true... I'm totally lost at this point.

If you are using steam VR, make sure its set to 100% quality or whatever. On high end cards Steam auto sets it to 200% and that's basically 2.0PD, and then 1.2 on top of that from DCS.

[...]

[...]

This i would also suggest. You can always go wild those nvidia settings later, but for troubleshooting everything but default is madness!