WIP shots of the FRS1 SEA harrier

=DECOY=

There's literally nothing in common with the AV-8B, the FRS1 cockpit is steam punk, with a radar scope on the right and that radar was max 20nm for air (ish) and very good for ships. It shares nothing with the AV-8B, I have no idea about the flight model, but it's scratch development, rgith down to the airframe.

Yup, the Harrier "1 or A" was a very different A/C compared to the "2 or B". Aside from the overall form factor/function they are totally different planes. Different engine (pegasus 103 vs the F402-RR-408) with 2,000lbs more thrust, different wing, totally different avionics.

I'd say that the "experience" Razbam got in making the AV8B FM should help substantially with the FRS1, but they will be different due to different wing and thrust. IIRC the older harrier is actually a bit faster in level flight, but IIRC it has a much lower "hover margin" so it should be harder to fly/land.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Stupid question here, this will be sold as a separate module right ?

Yes it will be. That's an information that has been shared on Discord a few times by the team.

3rd Wing | 55th Black Alligators * BA-33

Εις ανηρ ουδεις ανηρ

It’s a Harrier jump jet, no?

Yes but the differences between the FRS1 and the AV-8B in the game now, are about as much as the differences between the F-86A Saber and the F-100 Super Saber. They are both single engine jets but that is about the extent of their commonality.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Huge difference I would not expect a discount, lot of work involved in developing an FRS, authentic radar for one. Thats my opinion anyway

• Like 1

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

While they are roughly similar on the outisde, they are totally different aircraft on the inside. A discount would be pretty odd IMHO.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yes but the differences between the FRS1 and the AV-8B in the game now, are about as much as the differences between the F-86A Saber and the F-100 Super Saber. They are both single engine jets but that is about the extent of their commonality.

I’m sure this will sell well it will also warm the hearts of our brits friends and will also be a perfect fit for the Falkland scenario.

And obviously requires time and effort to create this version so RAZBAM should absolutely charge us for it.

But to me this is like the A8 and Dora D9, I already own the D9 and A8 is down on my list I will go for first the Corsair, Mosquito and the 109 (still haven’t got it) that buying the A8.

But hey it’s my away of looking at this things, I will buy the FRS at full price only if I don’t have anything else to buy but at the rate DCS is moving there will be other modules for me to spend money on

Edited by Neon_20
  • Like 1

I’m sure this will sell well it will also warm the hearts of our brits friends and will also be a perfect fit for the Falkland scenario.

And obviously requires time and effort to create this version so RAZBAM should absolutely charge us for it.

But to me this is like the A8 and Dora D9, I already own the D9 and A8 is down on my list I will go for first the Corsair, Mosquito and the 109 (still haven’t got it) that buying the A8.

But hey it’s my away of looking at this things, I will buy the FRS at full price only if I don’t have anything else to buy but at the rate DCS is moving there will be other modules for me to spend money on

That makes sense if there is commonality between the two aircraft, There is large commonality between the A8 and D9 Fw190 for instance. There is almost no commonality between these two versions of the Harrier.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

That makes sense if there is commonality between the two aircraft, There is large commonality between the A8 and D9 Fw190 for instance. There is almost no commonality between these two versions of the Harrier.

This! The FRS.1 is all out analogue without any MFDs/MPCDs and a totally different cockpit.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

I confess my lack of knowledge about the differences between both aircrafts I thought they had more in common, it seems that I’m wrong. For the more casual DCS simmers and less knowledgeable (like me) about these birds RAZBAM would do well if they made a few videos or something like that highlighting the differences between the two.

Or others like me will think “mehh it’s another jump jet, pass…”

There are many videos about Harrier development out there, covering from the very first hover of an experimental aircraft up to the AV-8B+. Why should RAZBAM repeat what is already available?

The first gen. Harriers deployed in the '70's, also with the US Marines. The US immediately wished for a more capable aircraft and McDonnell Douglas signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the BAe that said they would develop it together. The BAe eventually dropped out of development (BAe is government owned, and they didn't want to invest in the cost of development) and left MD to do their own thing, so MD basically took all the development of HSA and BAe and designed the AV-8B Harrier II. All the groundbreaking knowledge of first Harrier went into the II, which used new materials and technology to build a completely new and better Harrier.

Parallel to all of this the RN had the Sea Harrier developed, because they had different needs than the RAF, namely air defense. The Sear Harrier went operational in 1980 but only two squadrons were operational during the Falklands War in '82, both were deployed on the HMS Invincible and HMS Hermes. The RAF also had a Harrier I Gr3. squadron in the Falklands for CAS duties, which was not the primary duty of the Sea Harrier.

The Sea Harrier stayed in service with the RN until 2006, while the RAF started transitioning to the BAe implementation of the MD Harrier II in 1990.

So the Harrier I, Harrier II and Sea Harrier are all very different aircraft, with the Harrier I and Sea Harrier sharing at least the entire airframe.

For RAZBAM they might have been able to share a huge amount of development between the Harrer I and the Sea Harrier, but they're not building the RAF's Harrier I.

So, yes, the Sea Harrier is a completely different aircraft from the AV-8B Harrier II.

Anyone who says "mehh it’s another jump jet" doesn't know anything about their capabilities and deployment, or just doesn't care, so f*ck'em.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Anyone who says "mehh it’s another jump jet" doesn't know anything about their capabilities and deployment, or just doesn't care, so f*ck'em.

OOOOH Captain Orso, did you miss a day off your meds?? That's a bit harsh in my opinion. Especially coming from one such as yourself that has been traditionally fairly reserved, mature and gracious with their disdain for ignorance. :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OOOOH Captain Orso, did you miss a day off your meds?? That's a bit harsh in my opinion. Especially coming from one such as yourself that has been traditionally fairly reserved, mature and gracious with their disdain for ignorance. :pilotfly:

He's absolutly right on the subject though and did a good job to give an expression of how very different the various Harriers are!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Okay okay, let's not get carried away. No one actually said, "mehh it’s another jump jet", and so I didn't say "f*ck'em" to anyone.

I guess that fact did a fly-over at angels 10, while some had their HMD's leutering at angels 5 :smilewink:

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

There's literally nothing in common with the AV-8B, the FRS1 cockpit is steam punk, with a radar scope on the right and that radar was max 20nm for air (ish) and very good for ships. It shares nothing with the AV-8B, I have no idea about the flight model, but it's scratch development, rgith down to the airframe.

The Blue fox had a range of about 23 miles for a fighter size target and over 60 miles for large aircraft (Airliner) in a look up situation.

It had a pretty good performance in sea search mode over 100 miles for ship targets, which given its lineage being developed from the Sea Spray radar isn`t surprising and makes it a more useful platform for Sea Eagle than the Tornado whose radar is limited to 40 miles.

The new composite wing of the Harrier II meant that it was about 60kts slower than the original Harrier, that's a pretty major difference too...

I don't know about the cockpit being steampunk, it just comes before the current era of having three touchscreen iPads as your primary displays....

Although some of the instruments were a bit unique, the duct pressure gauge is about the same size as a Euro or £ coin...

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

The new composite wing of the Harrier II meant that it was about 60kts slower than the original Harrier, that's a pretty major difference too...

I don't know about the cockpit being steampunk, it just comes before the current era of having three touchscreen iPads as your primary displays....

Although some of the instruments were a bit unique, the duct pressure gauge is about the same size as a Euro or £ coin...

How about the literal moving map

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

How about the literal moving map

I'll tell you when mine arrives. I bought one :D

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe