Whats the F-16 cruise speed?

Shadoware

I haven't worked it out exactly and I don't think it's in the early access guide, but I use Mach 0.84 at 30,000 ft or more for cruise. Single centerline tank gives the biggest increase in range.

You can estimate your range by (speed in knots * pounds fuel)/fuel burn in pounds per hour.

Edited by Exorcet

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Best speed depends on what is being optimized. Best range speed is usually ~250 KCAS which is so far below a safe combat speed that's not often used. If you want an optimum trajectory for max range and can pick speed and altitude then it varies by GW and drag index but in the M0.8-.85 range.

If you're planning a combat mission a round multiple of 60 knots ground speed like 420 or 480 is good once in bad guy land. For the transit to there plan in a waiting hold of a few minutes to synchronize with the rest of the package.

As for fuel, super lean it's about 7 lbs/nm but figure 10 to be safe. The descent is actually incredibly light on fuel if you do it minimum fuel glide but it takes forever. That's usually 6 degrees so figure a 10:1 relationship, e.g. 30kft = 300 kft = 50nm. You want to "begin the final approach segment with no less than 1200 lbs."

• Like 1

When you plan a mission do you usually think about fuel consumption or just about aircraft combat radius? By the way, whats is the average F-16's combat radius in DCS?

I just work by experience usually. If you're on the Black Sea map you can reach anywhere in the detailed map area, provided you don't need to orbit for a couple of hours or something.

I've managed to fly the F-16 about 1000 miles carrying 6 missiles and 1 tank with reserve fuel to land with. That's not the maximum either as I didn't climb while burning fuel. 300 nautical miles seems like a decent radius if you don't have to stick around the target area for too long.

It's also probably worth mentioning that the F-16 can calculate the best speed and altitude for you, like the F-18 does. It's just not in DCS right now.

Edited by Exorcet

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Curious here, does the F-16 have something in the DED section similar to the FPAS page in the Hornet?

That would help considering the OP question.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

At the moment max endurance is above 25000ft at about M0.6

You'll have a fuel flow of 3500 and you will stay up for 3 hours if need be.

But how about using aar?

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

5AoA

Do whatever to get to that. Same as hornet and tomcat.

Tomcat is more like 4.5

I caution you against using real world AOA numbers for DCS. In hornet for example they dont match up at all: RL max range is 4.2 AOA, dcs is closer to 3.2

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2