Chuck's Guides - DCS Tutorial Library

Charly_Owl

You are far too polite with these entitled people .. I know I couldn’t be :)

+1000

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk Pro

Black+Knights_Small.jpg

RDF 3rd Fighter Squadron - "Black Knights": "Ar Cavajere Nero nun je devi cacà er cazzo!"

My Blog (Italian): Notti a (Video)Giocare

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CPU: i7-11700K@5GHz|GPU: RTX-4070 Super|RAM: 64GB DDR4@3200MHz|SSD: 2x 970EVO Plus + 980 EVO Plus|HOTAS Warthog|TrackIR 5|

I already know. Thanks for the reminder, I know you mean well. :smartass:

I have my own backlog of 30-or-so items to address on the Hornet guide alone (which does not include the gigantic backlog I have for other guides). I am very much aware of what is out of date. However, updates like that require more effort than meets the eye. We're talking several weeks, if not months of work.

Just a friendly reminder: I do not work for Eagle Dynamics. I'm not paid to do this. Therefore, I think it's fair to say that I do not necessarily always need to be reminded how "significantly out of date" some documents are. Chances are I already know, I'm very irritated about it and I'm already working on it. :pilotfly:

You are far too polite with these entitled people .. I know I couldn’t be :)

+1000

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk Pro

Good grief! I'm public enemy #1 now. :)

I was only pointing out a fact in case anyone was interested, as the topic in question is changing very rapidly. No criticism intended, nor was it meant to be a 'reminder'. Just simply making a statement.

I am fully aware of the incredible voluntary work that Chuck does, and have been an avid admirer for years now. The amount of work invloved in putting these guides together is phenomenal, and the regular updates to modules, especially to the Hornet, must be very frustrating and time consuming.

Keep up the great service to this community, Chuck.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Good grief! I'm public enemy #1 now. :)

I was only pointing out a fact in case anyone was interested, as the topic in question is changing very rapidly. No criticism intended, nor was it meant to be a 'reminder'. Just simply making a statement.

I am fully aware of the incredible voluntary work that Chuck does, and have been an avid admirer for years now. The amount of work invloved in putting these guides together is phenomenal, and the regular updates to modules, especially to the Hornet, must be very frustrating and time consuming.

Keep up the great service to this community, Chuck.

Well, there are many ways to tell the same thing. I guess you probably just used the wrong one :P

Black+Knights_Small.jpg

RDF 3rd Fighter Squadron - "Black Knights": "Ar Cavajere Nero nun je devi cacà er cazzo!"

CPU: i7-11700K@5GHz|GPU: RTX-4070 Super|RAM: 64GB DDR4@3200MHz|SSD: 2x 970EVO Plus + 980 EVO Plus|HOTAS Warthog|TrackIR 5|

You're not. ;)

We're all very much passionate about this hobby. We're all friends, here. Let's keep it that way.

Exactly that! Keep up the great work, Chuck.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow Chuck that is again a awesome guide for DCS P-47. Just wow man.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

There are 2 categories of fighter pilots: those who have performed, and those who someday will perform, a magnificent defensive break turn toward a bug on the canopy. Robert Shaw

The P-47D Thunderbolt Guide ihes now live! Link is in the first post.

Beautiful guide!

As I love the plane, I think I can fully appreciate the effort and care you put on writing it. Thank you very much indeed! :thumbup:

Edited by Zunzun
spelling

Is there a revision list for the June 5th update to the Hornet guide? It appears to have increased from 311 pages to 356 since I last grabbed a version.

I've looked through this thread a couple of times all the way back to early May, but I can only see the references to the updates of the Mirage and Tomcat guides, and the release of the F-16 and P-47 guides.

Apologies I'm being dense/blind, and missing something really obvious.

Thanks, as ever, for the amazing guides, and the immense volumes of research and work they so clearly involve. :thumbup:

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

Is there a revision list for the June 5th update to the Hornet guide? It appears to have increased from 311 pages to 356 since I last grabbed a version.

I've looked through this thread a couple of times all the way back to early May, but I can only see the references to the updates of the Mirage and Tomcat guides, and the release of the F-16 and P-47 guides.

Apologies I'm being dense/blind, and missing something really obvious.

Thanks, as ever, for the amazing guides, and the immense volumes of research and work they so clearly involve. :thumbup:

The Hornet guide changelog is available here: https://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-dcs-f-a-18c-hornet/

Revision History:

• 05/06/2020: Fixed Walleye Datalink tutorial
  • 31/12/2019: Added JHMCS LHACQ and HACQ mode descriptions
  • 30/12/2019: Added TWS Radar Mode section (including RAID & EXP sub-modes), added AGM-62 Walleye II procedure with and without AWW-13 Datalink pod
  • 16/11/2019: Corrected Air-to-Ground Weapon Tutorial 2.7 GPS Guided Ordnance (JDAM/JSOW with Targeting Pod & TOO Mode) with latest logic implemented
  • 31/08/2019: Corrected IFF tutorial procedure to use Sensor Select Depress switch
  • 28/08/2019: Added bookmarks
  • 26/08/2019: Updated Sensors Section with LITENING II Targeting Pod, Added AGM-65E Maverick, AGM-84D Harpoon (BOL & R/BL), GPS-Guided Ordnance (Targeting Pod), and GBU-12 (Laser-Guided) Tutorials, Updated IFF & Datalink Section, Added hyperlinks in Table of Contents, Fixed Typos
  • 21/07/2019: Updated Start-Up Procedure, Added IFF & Datalink Section, Added AGM-65F Maverick, AGM-88C HARM (TOO & SP), GBU-38 JDAM (Pre-Planned), AGM-154 JSOW (TOO), AIM-9X (JHMCS) & AIM-120 Tutorials, Re-wrote Sensors Section & Updated Radar Modes, Added FPAS page description, Fixed Typos
  • 13/01/2019: Fixed typo in the Air-to-Air Radar Azimuth Scale Description
  • 30/07/2018: Added Case III Recovery (ICLS Landing) Tutorial
  • 21/06/2018: Added IFF section in Radar & Sensors section, updated radio tutorial, radar section, carrier operation procedures, RWR section, catapult takeoff trim table, and AoA Indexer tables
  • 12/06/2018: Added hyperlink to Backy51’s Checklist and Redkite’s Controls Template
  • 11/06/2018: Typos corrected, updated RWR section, corrected Carrier Landing procedure
  • 9/06/2018: Initial Release

Thanks a lot, Chuck. Much appreciated. I’ll remember that link for future reference.

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

• 1 month later...

The Ka-50 Black Shark guide has finally been updated!

Changelog:

(17/08/2020)

• Overhauled cockpit description
  • Start-Up section re-written
  • Autopilot section added
  • Datalink tutorial fixed
  • ABRIS description expanded
  • Added Target Point designation & slaving
  • Added Estimated Range/Bearing Line (ERBL) explanations
  • Re-wrote weapon tutorials
  • Re-wrote countermeasures section

Changelog:

(17/08/2020)

• Overhauled cockpit description
  • Start-Up section re-written
  • Autopilot section added
  • Datalink tutorial fixed
  • ABRIS description expanded
  • Added Target Point designation & slaving
  • Added Estimated Range/Bearing Line (ERBL) explanations
  • Re-wrote weapon tutorials
  • Re-wrote countermeasures section

Thanks a lot!

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

Hi Charly:

F/A-18 guide, Chapter 2.10 (Laser maverick), points 23 and 24: Your are saying to enable and use Laser Trig feature but:

- Releasing trigger button laser goes off.

- If you keep trigger pressed, then Weapon Release button does not work (maybe due it conflicts with trigger).

Someone says this is just a bug, others that Laser Trig feature should be used for buddy lasing only, some others says that ED has changed something and your procedure is now outdated.

In all the cases, in order to launch AGM-65E you need to activate LTD-R and then just press the weapon release button: this will fire laser and keep it on.

I've tried that way and it works.

Also, not 100% sure, but the same issue might occur on Paveway LGB usage too..

Black+Knights_Small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

First and foremost; A huge thanks for providing such excellent and nice guides. I absolutely love using them for learning a new airframe.

May I ask something for future versions (not asking for a full redesign of whats been released)?

Background:

Due to VR and lack of physical surroundings I convert many of the pages over to the kneeboard. Since the kneeboard is a portrait-mode page I snip mostly the left part of the pages, at a roughly 4:3 ratio.

And it works great for most pages as I get the gist of what I need to remember in the procedures (for startup and like).

Question:

Would it be possible to try to keep the text on the left-most side of the page? This is quite useful for the content such as startup, which can be considered as 'checklists' but with better information (key bindings and other hints).

It works nicely for 80% of the pages as I don't need the images in later stages.

I know I can grab checklists from other places, but I do prefer the additional hints you have in the guides.

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

:notworthy:

:beer:

:love:

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

First and foremost; A huge thanks for providing such excellent and nice guides. I absolutely love using them for learning a new airframe.

May I ask something for future versions (not asking for a full redesign of whats been released)?

Background:

Due to VR and lack of physical surroundings I convert many of the pages over to the kneeboard. Since the kneeboard is a portrait-mode page I snip mostly the left part of the pages, at a roughly 4:3 ratio.

And it works great for most pages as I get the gist of what I need to remember in the procedures (for startup and like).

Question:

Would it be possible to try to keep the text on the left-most side of the page? This is quite useful for the content such as startup, which can be considered as 'checklists' but with better information (key bindings and other hints).

It works nicely for 80% of the pages as I don't need the images in later stages.

I know I can grab checklists from other places, but I do prefer the additional hints you have in the guides.

I'll try to keep that in mind for future guides.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks!

Last January, Eagle Dynamics dubbed 2020 to be the "Year of the Hornet". With a brand new air-to-ground radar, SLAM cruise missile and an updated LITENING II targeting pod, many sections of my Hornet guide became obsolete. Therefore, I eventually had to begin the very long and complex process of going back through everything and planning what had to be changed and what had to be added. A few hundred gallons of coffee later, there we are. We all know other updates will eventually come, but let's not think about it too hard for now.

The F/A-18C Hornet guide update is now available! See first post.

Changelog:

(22/09/2020)

• Start-Up procedure updated for INS update
  • Carrier takeoff procedure updated for Supercarrier
  • Radar acquisition modes clarified
  • ACM radar mods clarified
  • JHMCS operation clarified
  • Targeting Pod updated
  • Added AIr-to-Ground Radar MAP & Expanded modes
  • Weapon section re-structured
  • Updated JSOW tutorials
  • Updated JDAM tutorials
  • Updated GBU-12 tutorial
  • Fuel Dump clarifications
  • Master Modes clarifications
  • Engine section expanded
  • Fuel section expanded
  • AGM-84E SLAM tutorials added
  • MK20 Rockeye tutorial added
  • AGM-65 IR Maverick tutorial with tgp added
  • AGM-65E Laser Maverick tutorial updated
  • HSI (Horizontal Situation Indicator) section expanded
  • RWR symbology clarified (N, I, A, U, F)
  • Landing tips added (including HUD declutter and velocity vector caging)

Overall, a lot of new stuff crammed in there... the page count went from 350 to 530+ pages. Once again, if you guys still have any suggestions, recommendations or corrections, please let me know.