Free face tracking - No lamps, reflexes or anything - that WORKS!

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Centering the head tracking is done through the head-tracking software. In the latest version (20100910) of FaceTrackNoIR you can set this to any key of your liking through the interface (Options>Keybinds).

• Like 1

Core i5-760 @ 3.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Geforce GTX470, Samsung SATA HDD, Dell UH2311H 1920x1080, Saitek X52 Pro., FreeTrack homemade cap w/ LifeCam VX-1000, Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1.

FreeTrack in DCS A10C (64bit): samttheeagle's headtracker.dll

Well guys..

Unbelievable!!! It works.. I'm using the faketrackir mode.. I had to cancel the x and y in the settings because as somebody mentioned before, it messep up y and pitch.. The reason i canceled X is,i couldn't get use to movement of HUD with my head.. Why the hud doesn't stand still?It's very annoying when i'm on the runway ( i lose the sense of direction) or when i want to see the hud completely before an attack.. I still couldn't get the Z to work the way i want but, i workin'on the sensitivy settings..

Thanks ripkirby.. Trackir can wait now...

Won't work for me

I cant even get it to start. I have the latest version (1.3) and I always get the error shown in the screenshot. I have tried with 3 different cameras (microsoft vx-6000, xbox vision cam and a cheapo non branded ebay special. All the cams work perfectly in messenger and skype etc. I've run the program in compatibility modes and as admin and no joy.

I'm running win7 64

facetrackerror.thumb.JPG.57015db1c9b88bfcde3fbee6451460d8.JPG

Asus P8Z68 V-Pro/Gen3, Intel i5 2500K @4.5, 8GB DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Signature 2, Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Pro, Saitek X52 Pro, TrackIR 5.

• 1 month later...

Works also with A-10C without problems, at least using ppjoy.

OS: Win11 Pro 64bit MB: ASUS B550-I STRIX CPU: AMD R7 5800X GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super 8GB RAM: 32GB DDR4 SSD (OS and Sims): Samsung 980 Pro 2TB Accessories: TrackIR5, Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals

Yeah, I think it's a limitation of the software, maybe with a patch or update they will reduce this. For me free track isn't good enough, but I don't have a dual core which is recommended requirements, causes lag in lomac. I'm Gona wait to get trackir 5.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It does that a bit, but it is manageable. Its mostly about finding the right settings. Since it is free I highly reccommend anyone with a decent webcan to give it a try.

OS: Win11 Pro 64bit MB: ASUS B550-I STRIX CPU: AMD R7 5800X GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super 8GB RAM: 32GB DDR4 SSD (OS and Sims): Samsung 980 Pro 2TB Accessories: TrackIR5, Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals

I don't know. I've read that using TIRfixer it "works better", but since I'm using the 64bit version of A-10C I can't try it. Still, even with the 64bit version it's possible to use ppjoy and set facetracknoir to "virtual joystick" mode.

Think this might be of interest to anyone trying this out: it helps a lot to have a good-lit room...making the lighting better here made it possible to lower the smoothing settings and thus to improve the responsiveness of the whole system.

Does it require the original trackir to work? It seems to need the files from it to decrypt. I would love to get this, as my mom would get freaked out by anything that has to be attatched to my head, so I have to use the numpad to slew around in DCS A10-C

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No, it doesn't need track-ir. You just need the "face API" from seeingmachines, which is freeware for non-commercial purposes, the program, and the ppjoy software, which is needed to make a virtual joystick. Input is then sent from the tracker software to the fake joystick which is then mapped in DCS.

Additionally, if you use a 32 bit version of dcs, you can skip the ppjoy part and use the track ir fixer, which is a free utility that "unencrypts" the TIR protocol and enables you to use the fake track ir protocol of the tracking program instead of routing everything through a virtual joystick.

Hello,

does this software work with any kind of webcam?

Is it possible to use it in a very dark room (where the only light source is the monitor) with acceptable results?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OS: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit - CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K - MB: Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 3200 - GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX2080ti

Controllers: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals

Head tracking: FaceTrackNOIR+FreeTrack 3 Points Cap

VR headset: VALVE Index

O.k. so I went onto the face api website, and it says I need anapplication to get the software, the ppjoy website says it only works with XP. I have the two files from the site in my downloads folder, but I am a little unsure about getting ppjoy and face api ( This isn't Thomas Jefferson High School, I don't need an application!)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Don't worry! You just need to apply for a free non commercial license here, and then download the api and install it. After that get FaceTrackNoIR (get also the latest beta update, it works and adds some useful settings).

You only need ppjoy if you have to use the 64bit version of dcs, otherwise you can just get the trackirfixer here, place it in the bin/x86 folder of dcs, let it do its thing and then you can use the fakeTrackIR protocol in the tracking software. It is much easier to set it up this way, since setting up ppjoy on vista/7 is possible but quite a hassle.

Say something along the lines of "gaming". After that you'll receive a confirmation e-mail and can then proceed to download.

Won't be too long until the currently hacked Microsoft Kinetic will provide us with something a lot better than trackIr5.

Imagine, not only head tracking but hand and even finger tracking. It will require an API from ED to allow finger tracking to select switches though. I do wonder though if the facetracking software you guys are using will work with the kinetic?

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

Yeah, I've said it before, combine the kinect with a decent stereoscopic HMD (head mounted display) with decent FOV, and you may as well be in the cockpit cos that's what it will feel like. Imagine that in DCS a10, this would basically be the VR dream.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]