Blue Nose Bastards of Bodney - P-51 randomized scenario

I wanted to create the ultimate P-51 Mustang fighter sweep single mission, and this is what I came up with.

Take off from "Bodney", England with a flight of 4 of the 486th FS (Preddy, Whisner, Mayer, Pattillo). The base is alive with a lot of units moving around. Plan your own fighter sweep mission and carry it out. You can fly to Rouen, Caen, Cherbourg, anywhere you like over France. There are dozens of trigger zones where you may or may not run into enemy or friendly flights. Flying to one of these areas can trigger 10-20 different combinations of units - once you run into a massive dogfight over Rouen, the next time the skies will be empty. You never know. There are also some ground targets that can randomly appear, so you can also go down to ground level, but be careful with the flak.

So it's not really a mission, it's a scenario, a blank canvas. Nothing is pre-set. What you paint on it is entirely up to you and Lady Luck.

UPDATE 7/2/2017 - Now you will lead an 8 ship formation

DOWNLOAD:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3100265/index.php

A coop version is attached to this post.

PS: for full immersion I recommend you download my skins HERE.

attachment.php?attachmentid=175768&stc=1&d=1515403167

attachment.php?attachmentid=175769&stc=1&d=1515403167

1.thumb.jpg.6c33a53eb4f0b0e925dadcb0f458865b.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.ca1505628fb3ee621dd4e5deb488f58d.jpg

Blue Nose Bastards of Bodney - Coop.miz

Edited by Reflected

Hi Reflected.. I am new to DCS World and just upgraded to 2.0. I love your lskins. They are the best I have seen. I found out how to add your skins to the game. Now I don't know how or where to put the miz files that is the mission files.

Could you guide me to where and how to put your missions so that I might try them.

Also.. are you making any more skins of 357th FG and is it possible to ask for Man O'War of the 4th FG?

Thanks. I know it is a lot , but I thought I would try here first.. really want to try your missions.

Thanks

Stiffstarch

Hi Reflected.. I am new to DCS World and just upgraded to 2.0. I love your lskins. They are the best I have seen. I found out how to add your skins to the game. Now I don't know how or where to put the miz files that is the mission files.

Could you guide me to where and how to put your missions so that I might try them.

Also.. are you making any more skins of 357th FG and is it possible to ask for Man O'War of the 4th FG?

Thanks. I know it is a lot , but I thought I would try here first.. really want to try your missions.

Thanks

Stiffstarch

Hi there,

Thanks for the kind words. Try putting them here:

C:\Users\xxxx\Saved Games\DCS.openalpha\Missions

Then you can open them from the missions menu if you navigate there. :thumbup:

Put your coop version on my server last night and tried it out. Lots of lag when objects spawn in but manageable.

DCS bug is a pain, whenever attacking FLACK on the ground the server crashes. I think we need to wait for ED to fix this to really enjoy. Maybe it will be fixed by the merge.

Just wanted to say thank you Reflected, I have tried your other missions and they are great also :thumbup::pilotfly:Rep IB

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE!

I re-worked the mission so that now you lead an 8 ship formation, so you are less dependent on the randomly spawned friendly flights. I also added "Radio Berlin" to listen to as well as more flak, more enemy flights and briefing images. The file has been updated in the first post.

attachment.php?attachmentid=178216&stc=1&d=1518001172

Screen_180207_113721.thumb.png.c14ca56e0f0b63f65b095d38854e1333.png

• 2 years later...

Hi there! Hey i just bought your campaign and i really liked it so far. But there is a problem in mission 3 when i approach the bomber formation, the game slowlty turns into a complete slide show because of the massive bomber formation. Normally my machine runs DCS smooth like a raserblade. But the massive formation is just to much for my PC. Problem being is that i cant progress in the campaign beyond this mission because it nearly turns into a complete stop, its like im watching WWII arial bombing pictures online or something. So anything i can do to work around this?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is a F10 option in your radio menu at the start of the mission that let's you reduce the number of units, to ease the burden on your system.

Edited by MrExplosion

Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,

Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

Hi there! Hey i just bought your campaign and i really liked it so far. But there is a problem in mission 3 when i approach the bomber formation, the game slowlty turns into a complete slide show because of the massive bomber formation. Normally my machine runs DCS smooth like a raserblade. But the massive formation is just to much for my PC. Problem being is that i cant progress in the campaign beyond this mission because it nearly turns into a complete stop, its like im watching WWII arial bombing pictures online or something. So anything i can do to work around this?

Disable wake turbulence in the options.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

There is a F10 option in your radio menu at the start of the mission that let's you reduce the number of units, to ease the burden on your system.

That should help, but 2.5.6 introduced massive performance loss when lots of units are around - like big bomber formations. I hope ED will fix these performance issues soon, because in 2.5.5 it was enough to disable wake turbulence and then you got decent frame rates.

That should help, but 2.5.6 introduced massive performance loss when lots of units are around - like big bomber formations. I hope ED will fix these performance issues soon, because in 2.5.5 it was enough to disable wake turbulence and then you got decent frame rates.

If it's not too much to ask, maybe make another option to reduce the number of bombers even further? To like 10 or max 20. For me the campaign is unplayable in VR with an up to date system and DCS optmized (albeit to a high quality).

Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,

Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

If it's not too much to ask, maybe make another option to reduce the number of bombers even further? To like 10 or max 20. For me the campaign is unplayable in VR with an up to date system and DCS optmized (albeit to a high quality).

I thought about this too, but 10 bombers would be slaughtered really fast and it would mess up the triggers and the whole mission. (With the "remove units" option you have 36. ) Unless I make them immortal. But that's way too far down a path I don't want to go. I don't want to sacrifice more and more realism on the altar of performance every time something is broken in game. It used to work until Feb 2020, so it should be working again. Soon. Otherwise, at the end of all the bug workarounds and sticky plasters we'd end up with 4v4 airstart missions, and then what's the point of a campaign?

Don't get me wrong, I'm also quite disappointed, I just think that the ball is in ED's court right now.

For my upcoming P-47 campaign I'm already thinking how I could make it more "performance proof". Like having 3 options at the beginning: Symbolic/ normal/ huge formation

Wow this looks like just what I’m after but for the spitfire, would it still work if I popped it into the mission editor and swapped all the p51s for Spitfires? Please say yes ;)

Oh also I bought your Big Show campaign and am just waiting on amazon to deliver a copy of the book to me so I can do as you recommended and play the missions after I’ve read the chapter in the book. Can’t wait!

Just finished Geoffrey Wellum’s First Light, well worth a read if you haven’t already.

Oh and did I read one of your posts where you said you had made a label mod? If so where would I find that I’m having a bit of trouble spotting diving 109s, they blend right into the channel.

Thanks for your hard work

Yes, it would work with any plane. However, I removed this single mission because I made it years ago, and it was too far from being up to date. I suggest you download the free sample missions from the campaign instead:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305163/

Then you can swap the plane type :)

"First Light" is my absolute favorite, but "The Big Show" is a close second. You'll have a blast reading & playing it at the same time.

I attached the label mod I'm using on my laptop, but it looks very different on every system, so you may need to adjust it. :thumbup:

Labels.lua

Edited by Reflected

Thank you Reflected!

At the risk of being off topic here, the thing that surprised me the most in First Light was the pilots ability to decide when he wanted to head back to base. And in general the lack of communication between pilots once the you know what hit the fan. I thought there would have been more communication and certainly not each pilot deciding for themselves when to call it a day.

Oh well you learn something new everyday.

Most descriptions of large digfights both in WWI and WWII started as a big furball, then a sudden life threatening blow, escape or attack, then you're all alone in an empty blue sky. Where did everyone go?

In that situation, over enemy territory, low on ammo and fuel, I guess it would have been impossible to regroup. Some tried, then headed home in small formations, but never as a big wing.