can someone describe me how IFF works now ?

FZG_Immel

can somebody quickly explain me how to ID planes currently ?

what is the symbology ? and the procedure to ID; either via radar, HUD or SA page ?

Thanks a lot !

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

what is the symbology ? and the procedure to ID; either via radar, HUD or SA page ?

Thanks a lot !

Check out Chuck's Guide. There you can search easily through the index, find the desired category and view associated images. I'd recommend downloading it, that way you can have it for quick reference when you need/desire it.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=212282

Specifically for your category of question - Part 12, page 281.

With radar, you want to put the TDC cursor over the track that you want to identify, and press SCS (Sensor Control Switch) depress/select to interrogate said track. If you have off board donor (AWACS, friendly aircraft, etc.) you will most likely see the contact identified already (red enemy, yellow unknown, green friendly). You can also press SCS select with a track locked on the radar page, without having any additional systems or help from friendly units, while NCTR is "boxed" and it should turn from a square indication on the HUD to a diamond if enemy, staying square if friendly. There are limitations and circumstances that can effect this functionality.

There are more symbols at that point - but there is a basic, quick and easy start. Read the guide for more in depth information/procedures.

With SA Page, the picture should typically be red, yellow, green contacts - same association as above. With SA Page, you can manually mark contacts with PLID: unknown, hostile, friendly. Again, the guide will give you more in depth information regarding that system and it's functions.

Again, there are more symbols at that point - but there is a basic, quick and easy start. Read the guide for more in depth information/procedures.

Cheers,

Don

Edited by Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Remember as a previous step to turn IFF on on the UFC, otherwise none of the above will apply.

But basically:

1-IFF on

2-Radar cursor (TDC) over the target you want to interrogate

3-Press TDC depress (Not the same as TMS forward used to lock)

4-If IFF response is negative and another donor have identified it as hostile, you will see the diamond in the hud and an inverted chevron on top indicating enemy (IIRC).

Previous posts have covered the procedure, controls, etc.

The main difference to 'simpler' regular/FC3 IFF is that the ROE (rules of engagement) are hard baked into the Hornet's IFF and require 2 sources or types of ID before a contact is declared hostile (SA symbol turns red and a HUD diamond) i.e. AWACS+your own IFF, NCR (headon and within 20NM)+your own IFF, Friendly Fighter ID+your own IFF, etc.

Without supporting aircraft - you'll mostly get green circle/semi-circles for friendlies on the SA page and yellow staples/squares for unknowns.

The HUD marker for both these types is a square.

IRL, although 2 types of ID is a common ROE requirement, implementation is far more flexible i.e. 2 from - aircraft from an enemy airfield, only the enemy fly that type, aggressive act/missile shot, visual ID, etc.

You don't need a red SA symbol/HUD diamond to fire in DCS so, if you're visual, etc. and certain the contact is a hostile you should use your common sense and fire.

Eventually the WIP Hornet will get a manual DDI option so a pilot can mark a contact as hostile i.e. after visual ID, etc.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

That is an excellent summary post Harker! Thank you.

One question I have - what is the diff in IFF between TUC and SCS depress? Seems if I put a target under TUC, IFF resolves.

Is it just speed or something else that SCS depress does?

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

SCS Depress commands manual IFF interrogation by your aircraft, some contacts on the radar page are already being updated with IFF information through MSI to display their HAFU status based on offboard (fighter-to-fighter) and SURV (AWACS) information. If only the bottom half of the HAFU is displayed, it's completely offboard. Many times you'll find a HAFU symbol that is a staple on the top and a diamond on the bottom, meaning others have declared that contact hostile, but your aircraft thinks it's only unknown; SCS Depress would most likely also declare that contact as hostile.

TUC simply expands the information of the target under the cursor (airspeed and altitude) regardless of IFF status.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Remember as a previous step to turn IFF on on the UFC, otherwise none of the above will apply.

But basically:

1-IFF on

2-Radar cursor (TDC) over the target you want to interrogate

3-Press TDC depress (Not the same as TMS forward used to lock)

4-If IFF response is negative and another donor have identified it as hostile, you will see the diamond in the hud and an inverted chevron on top indicating enemy (IIRC).

SCS depress/select rather than TDC depress, as TDC depress with attempt to soft or hard lock the target - depending on specific profiles/options currently selected on the radar software.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria