Do you mostly play Single player or Multiplayer?

Frag

Do you mostly play Single player or Multiplayer?  

423 members have voted

1. 1. Do you mostly play Single player or Multiplayer?

• Single player
    • Multiplayer

Kind of surprised the ratio is so close. I thought it would be like 3:1 sp.

across the overall DCS user-base?

or just those of us who read these forums every few hours? ; )

i think those of us reading this thread are a very, very, very small portion of the overall DCS user-base and very unlike the "general" user that pays most of the bills and keeps DCS in business.

Single player for me.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo, Core i9 11900K @ 5.0GHz, Corsair H150i CPU cooler, Asus Prime Z590-A, Radeon RX6800 XT64GB, Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3600, Corsair RM1000X PSU,  Win 11 x64

across the overall DCS user-base?

or just those of us who read these forums every few hours? ; )

i think those of us reading this thread are a very, very, very small portion of the overall DCS user-base and very unlike the "general" user that pays most of the bills and keeps DCS in business.

*wheeze*

Yesh, ushers like me are very important to the DCESH ecoshystem.

*brushes Cheetos off chest*

We keep the lightsh on.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

*wheeze*

Yesh, ushers like me are very important to the DCESH ecoshystem.

*brushes Cheetos off chest*

We keep the lightsh on.

:megalol:

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

99% single player for me, unfortunately.

--not enough uninterrupted free time during the work season; recently I've been lucky to get 45 minutes of continuous stick time a day.

--only one local server in Japan, and they aren't friendly to non-native Japanese speakers

--AUS and NZ servers have terrible latency

--EU and US servers have okay latency, but even fiber gets slow when you live on an island

--I'm 9-14 hours ahead of the US/EU, so when I do fly the servers are empty.

As 3WA and Etherbattx have said, the poll's not likely to give a very accurate answer.

E.D. have said the vast majority of people play SP, but SP players don't have as much reason to lurk on the forums as MP players (I played SP for a year or so before ever spending any real time on the forums)

Cheers.

ED have made comments before that multiplayer only makes up a few percent of the population. It's true we don't have hard data, however, if we use the rough assumption of 5% (or less) for online which has been suggested before, it gives you an idea. More specifically, you can do some napkin math for an idea how many people it would take to sustain a company this size, allowing that not every person buys every module everytime one comes out, yet the modules still turn a profit and ED doesn't go out of business.

Numbers presented before suggest the average cost of a module is $200-500k depending on complexity, time required, etc etc, so in order for the ecosystem to work, you need at least 100,000 to 200,000 active-ish people with probably another few hundred thousand that are mostly inactive and fade in and out with the active population.

If it sounds like a lot of estimation and guesswork, it's because it is, ED don't really discuss these sort of things, but they have in passing mentioned vague values for population ratio (part of which we can observe ourselves in the server list), and module costs and timeframes. Between the two you can guess in the neighborhood. It's not very precise by any means, but it's close enough.

-edit

A forum poll isn't worth much in this context as you're dealing with the more invested, sociable segment by definition. They will tend to be multiplayer oriented.

I think you have a good explanation for the current result there.

.. (I played SP for a year or so before ever spending any real time on the forums)

Yea same here, 3 years even before I signed up here and made my first post. Had been lurking in the shadows of the forum for those 3 years though.

Have to highlight that the MP time I spend, is more a co-op type with friends. Its rare that I venture in to the public server arena.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Roughly 70mp/30sp for me. I like playing with others a lot, but I also enjoy playing sp campaigns and sp missions from time to time. Also when it comes to practising something like air-to-air refueling or carrier landing I prefer practising it in single player so that I can focus on the task entirely without any distractions.

GIGABYTE Z390 GAMING X | i5 9600k @4.7 GHz | Noctua NH-U14S | MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti @OCed | Patriot 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | 1TB SSD + 1TB HDD | Win10 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog + WarBRD | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals | 1440p AOC Q2790PQU

95% MP,

Singleplayer Instant Mission or Trainingmission only for testing.

Module: viel zu viele...

Warte auf: Fulda Gap, MiG-23, xy (4th. Gen RED) und mehr neue und alte Propeller wie P-38, Corsair, DC-3, Transall, Tucano usw.

Projekt: OpenFlightSchool -> Thread

It's about half and half. There are longish periods when I'm off DCS ops proper for various reasons, and during that time I usually just fly around Nevada and target practice in order to keep my skills (or lack thereof) intact. So there's no option I can vote for so I won't ;)

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

However, as a mod creator for the Caucasus and Persian Gulf Map you are probably limited to servers without integrity checks. :D

True, my main places to fly that allow texture modifications are the Buddyspike servers, 104th and Virtual Aerobatics, that's all I need :)

Single Player all the way. MP has too many bugs and finding a server that functions well with nothing but truly casual (meaning: people who rarely have time to practice so they are always "beginners") players is near impossible. Makes no sense to join MP to be used for target practice by people who spend hours and hours playing this sim.

Mostly multiplayer though I like to fire up a campaign from time to time when it is well done or if i just got a new module.

Also for night missions or testing purposes i use singe player but 80% of the time I go online as i find it a lot more fun to interact with real people.

Single Player all the way. MP has too many bugs and finding a server that functions well with nothing but truly casual (meaning: people who rarely have time to practice so they are always "beginners") players is near impossible. Makes no sense to join MP to be used for target practice by people who spend hours and hours playing this sim.

You don't have to go for PvP though, there are a couple of servers against the AI where you can learn and work/communicate with other (friendly) humans.

I get shot down a lot too in PvP servers but that is the nature of DCS, it is like chess... if you are not ready to be checkmated by stronger players or GMs, then you cannot really play chess or really improve your game IMO but i respect your opinion.

Edited by Fynek

I would try Multiplayer again, if there were not so many rude people. Being attacked by a AI is one thing, but being verbally attacked by other players is not fun. There must be a better system for multiplayer.

Once you are playing MP on DCS, you are never coming back to SP. I haven't played a single SP mission for the last 9 or maybe 10 years.

i played twice it was lame af. Actively involving other humans in my hobbies is a sure fire way for me to lose interest in them.

Nobody likes me because I'm unsafe.