Campaing INS alignment not working

So I started the Campaign a day ago or so, and with every mission I've flown I've had problems with the INS alignment.

It says it's at (0,5 OK) but the MFCD is still black and not moving, so I had to use the F-10 Map to navigate between the waypoints.

I've tried cold start in multiple occations before and after the campaing, and it still works outside of the Agressors Campaign.

I've also tried repairing DCS.

Not sure if anyone else have encountered this problem?

Gear

TM Warthog | TM MFD | Buddyfox UFC | Logitech G Pro Flight Rudder | TrackIr 5 | Oculus CV1 | Voiceattack+VAICOM | Tacview | Comatflite | too many modules

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

• 2 weeks later...

It's not a campaign issue but a game engine bug still under investigation. Appears to only be a problem when the Hornet is on the Red Forces side (as we have done with our Aggressor units).

Work around is as Panther reported above or BigNewy's post here.

Here is the thread where the issue is being tracked.

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team

Hi,

It is not a bug for REDFOR who do not use GPS, so you have to align manually.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi,

It is not a bug for REDFOR who do not use GPS, so you have to align manually.

Sorry, but that does not make much sense in my opinion. This campaign is a perfect example.

Better would be if GPS system availability is defined by country the unit is from or by an option in the ME.

• ED Team
Sorry, but that does not make much sense in my opinion. This campaign is a perfect example.

Better would be if GPS system availability is defined by country the unit is from or by an option in the ME.

I will bring this up with the team in the morning, I can not promise any change at the moment but I will ask.

Thanks

EDIT: Report made for team consideration

Edited by BIGNEWY

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I agree, as you can freely assign countries to both sides, it doesn't really make sense to limit GPS by sides. It would make more sense to limit GPS by country or give the option to the mission maker.

+1

Besides that, I don't understand why pushing some buttons on the HSI will make the NAV system properly aligned without having GPS nor having to enter any coordinates? I hope this is only a workaround and the INS aligment process is still very much WIP?

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• ED Team

I have spoken with the team this morning and discussed this issue.

It will remain as it is, REDFOR can not use GPS and manual alignment is required, and is the correct procedure.

Update INS via TCN

1. Coordinates of the first waypoint can be used to set own coordinates after INS align completed
a) on HSI page choose wpt 0 using PB12 "up" or PB13 "dn", then press PB14 "WPDSG"
b) on HSI page press PB7 "UPDT", press PB7 "DSG", press PB6 "ACPT"

2. In the case the plane has moved since start of the mission: you can use TCN position update after INS align completed
a) TACAN beacon data must be saved in MC
b) turn on the TACAN and set channel and band of the beacon, set T/R mode; you must receive bearing and range
c) on HSI page press PB7 "UPDT", press PB6 "TCN", press PB6 "ACPT"

Thanks.

It will remain as it is, REDFOR can not use GPS

Hmm, that's unfortunate :(

Thanks for asking though! :thumbup:

and manual alignment is required, and is the correct procedure.

[i]*procedure*[/i]

Thanks.

Rethinking this, this procedure actually makes sense. I'm used from other aircraft (e.g. M2000C, Viggen, Tomcat) to manually enter coordinates for alignment, but if you assume the pilot has already loaded the flight plan and other data from the cartridge and the aircraft knows the coordinates of WP 0 from that (and assuming WP0 of the flight plan is actually the parking position), then this procedure makes sense indeed.

But another thing: If REDFOR has no GPS, then the INS should drift as it doesn't get any GPS updates. AFAIK this is not modeled (yet), so I hope it will be modelled.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

It will remain as it is, REDFOR can not use GPS and manual alignment is required, and is the correct procedure.

Update INS via TCN

1. Coordinates of the first waypoint can be used to set own coordinates after INS align completed
a) on HSI page choose wpt 0 using PB12 "up" or PB13 "dn", then press PB14 "WPDSG"
b) on HSI page press PB7 "UPDT", press PB7 "DSG", press PB6 "ACPT"

2. In the case the plane has moved since start of the mission: you can use TCN position update after INS align completed
a) TACAN beacon data must be saved in MC
b) turn on the TACAN and set channel and band of the beacon, set T/R mode; you must receive bearing and range
c) on HSI page press PB7 "UPDT", press PB6 "TCN", press PB6 "ACPT"

Thanks.

Sad, but thanks for trying. I hope it is not set in stone.

• ED Team
Sad, but thanks for trying. I hope it is not set in stone.

If I hear of any change I will pass it on.

Thanks

This isn’t a campaign ending issue, just follow the simple steps on the AMPCD above and continue on. I completed the campaign with no issues, it didn’t even slow down the start up.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Really sad that this is not known by campaign developers, so they can create their campaigns accordingly. I only want to play a campaign... was there no QA?
IRC this alignment behaviour was introduced after the campaign was already released, so at the time of the campaign release, it worked fine.

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • ED Team

Hi all

Just wanted to let you know we do have changes coming for the use of unrestricted sat nav.

attachment.php?attachmentid=222703&d=1575991289

unrestricted SATNAV in mission editor options.

You will see it soon in public builds.

Thank you

Screen_191210_144549.thumb.jpg.9a8b4a920c416a418b2c1d940068a9f1.jpg

Is that supposed to lift the restrictions for missions dating before 1994 as well as aircraft on REDFOR side? Or to put it differently: It has no effect on BLUEFOR aircraft in missions past 1994, correct?

Tornado3 small.jpg

• ED Team
Is that supposed to lift the restrictions for missions dating before 1994 as well as aircraft on REDFOR side? Or to put it differently: It has no effect on BLUEFOR aircraft in missions past 1994, correct?

Initially for use with REDFOR, but we may see date unrestricted GPS added later.

Initially for use with REDFOR, but we may see date unrestricted GPS added later.

Alright, thanks. I personally don't need date unrestricted GPS, as its a realistic restriction (unlike restricting USA Hornets when on red side). :)

Tornado3 small.jpg

• ED Team

I should add this is for US Aggressors when on REDFOR not just all REDFOR aircraft, GPS is still a US asset.

I should add this is for US Aggressors when on REDFOR not just all REDFOR aircraft, GPS is still a US asset.

I'm confused now. What is if I have USA (the "true" USA, not the US agressors) on REDFOR side?

Tornado3 small.jpg

• ED Team
I'm confused now. What is if I have USA (the "true" USA, not the US agressors) on REFOR side?

US Aggressors can be added to the REDFOR team to be enemy, in this case it would have disabled the GPS for those aircraft.

This new feature will allow US Aggressors placed on REDFOR to use the GPS system still.

US Aggressors can be added to the REDFOR team to be enemy, in this case it would have disabled the GPS for those aircraft.

This new feature will allow US Aggressors placed on REDFOR to use the GPS system still.

I understand that it works for the US Agressors, but what if I add the country USA to REDFOR team? It sounds like it will still not be possible for USA Hornets to use GPS in that case?

Tornado3 small.jpg

• ED Team
I understand that it works for the US Agressors, but what if I add the country USA to REDFOR team? It sounds like it will still not be possible for USA Hornets to use GPS in that case?

Just checked.

Yes USA units placed on REDFOR also will be able to use GPS