Hornet UFC (potentially)

Brun

• 2 weeks later...
I make some progress. I only have some pushbuttons because of customs problems :(

co8ihMS.jpg

bt8NW8H.jpg

PWl91hS.jpg

BulkaCv, bit late in asking but how did you get your 3D prints so smooth? Did you polish/sand them after printing?

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

• 3 weeks later...

Which printer are you using?

If you use ABS you can smooth parts with acetone but this is nothing i would advice in unventilated rooms. Also you have to consider that the material is chemically softened and hardens after the acetone evaporated.

With a good printer (Prusa MK3) and most important high quality filament you can get smooth parts easily. Usually what destroys quality is filament out of the diameter tolerances and if you have hygroscopic material. during print it leads to unexpected results.

Good bearings and lubrication of the printer is important. Try to eliminate vibrations. Use a good enclosure and try using the print fan for ABS even if it’s not advised. It’s my experience that heat builds up in parts and leads to deformation.

Printing of parts is no rocket science. Best advice. Don’t save money at the wrong spot. My bearings and frame costs more than a complete low end printer. It’s logical that somewhere quality is lost on the path to cheap products.

• 3 weeks later...
Have you considered making an F16 ICP, Brun?

No plans to, sorry.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

Oh god. I just found this. And am now sooooo glad I work for an electronic parts distributor. And since I have a printer, I should be able to get this printed and working in a weekend. THANKS FOR THIS! As soon as I have extra funds, a donation is coming your way!
@skygunner58203 what country are you in?? You would likely be a great resource for finding us buttons and switches that have a great tactile feel to them...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Hey Brun,

Huge fan. I was trying to download the Heading panel but it just pops up as a bunch of code and not a file download?

If i'm doing something dumb just let me know!

Save that in a file with the extension .obj and it will work fine.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With COVID keeping me at home, I have some time to get back to finishing this project. I am stuck on getting the rotary encoders to work with the BB-64. I am using the same encoders the Brun recommended at the beginning of the threat (from Mouser). Also keep in mind this is my first electronics/wiring project. Ever.

OK so the relevant parts of the rotary encoder are terminals A and B, which represent the encoder being turned left and right, and C, in the middle.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fCN4fOf3TmFSQyKyk_Nw5aSHLKhWea78

Each of the buttons on the BB-64 require 2 pins - If I wire position 28 to A and C, it works great, then position 29 to B and C, that's great, but I can't figure out how to "share" C between them both.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fGBKfC70hbjc_p4b9yYbJU5KUKDd3rtQ

I made a splitter with stuff lying around:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fNYKx2iKmGeWUvFhdUn5eWWE2ECLOcU_

but no response at all - I'm assuming because its a digital signal? I saw a couple places on the internet stating "You don't need to wire the ground © to both, just do it once", but then only the fully wired button works. What am I missing here? Can anyone share a picture of how you wired your encoders to the BB-64? Thanks very much!

The ground wire goes to a ground connection. The a/b pins connect to a pin that reads the state changes of the encoder. With arduinos and teensies this works perfectly with the appropriate code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WF,

I also made a UFC controller, and used two boards - one Arduino and a Bodner board. I didn't realize that you can download an app from Bodnar which allows you program the board with many different functions - like a single press results from a constant "on" toggle switch. Havent messed with it lately - but check that out - maybe it can help you.

CB

The ground wire goes to a ground connection. The a/b pins connect to a pin that reads the state changes of the encoder. With arduinos and teensies this works perfectly with the appropriate code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That makes sense, but the BBI-64 doesn't have a ground connection, on 64 independent buttons with two pins each, as far as I can tell. I know there is a way to make it work because this is exactly the setup Brun used, hoping he or someone who followed his method can post a screenshot of how they got the encoders to work.

Picture of the board and wiring so far.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fAsTO2p4OMKJKVr0i2p6TqQ3bFCNCfjb

Edit: Looking at Page 3 of the this thread Brun posted a picture of his wiring, and it looks like one of the encoders (with the brown/white/gray wires) are going somewhere - but I can't tell how they are actually wired on the BBI-64 board. The other encoder weirdly has FOUR wires coming out (should only be three pins?), but covered in a sheath so I can't see what is connected to what. I dunno what to think.

Edited by wereferret