Taxiing with Canopy open

javelina1

I like to keep my canopy open, during the ramp starts & taxi's. I just like to hear my engines, and everything else... :) Heck, even after I land, and I"m taxiing around the airfield as well.

For the ex-military, flight line folks & pilots, was curious if I'd be in violation of some ground operations protocol. :)

Regardless, it's my bird, and I'm gonna do what what I wanna do in the sim. :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Not that I know of. Many aircraft do it. Many aircraft environmental control system takes some time to cool the cockpit, specially at engine idle.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Flying out of Davis Monthan, in the Summer, might be a little different. ;) Though as you note, if the cockpit cooling takes a bit, then open up that bird.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Seen many an A-10 at Davis-Monthan AFB taxiing with canopy open. Of course, that's Tucson and it can get mighty toasty in them pits with the sun glaring down.

10-4 buddy! It's pretty frigging hot here in AZ, in June, July, August... ugh!

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I really get a charge out of pulling out of the hangar with the canopy open (recently I've had to close it because its just too loud to hear ts3), just taxiing out kind of feeling the groove... Arm out the window sort of thing. I'll keep it up right about to the point where either I'm at the last turn onto the runway or I get annoyed with people telling me my canopy is up lol.

Glad I'm not the only one.

I was up one morning at 4am after a night shift... Sleeping pattern all wonky. I logged in and noticed that one of crews missions was still running and the time in game was 4am. The way the hours lined up with the season in game was reaaaaaaally close so as the sun was coming up around the same time. The sky outside looked the same. The morning was just delightful. And I was going in to blow some ish up!!

Anyway for all my griping about some things- the stuff this sim does well, it does really, REALLY well.

Edited by ENO

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

If you like the sound of the engines you should just leave it open and take off. T-34 stereo

love this comment. back when I started flying this bird, I used to forget and have no idea it's still open until I hear the "bam" noise as it blows off while on take-off, then I look down and see the open canopy light is still on.

Used to like the engine spooling up and pulling back to idle then spooling up through the 7.1

Edited by Winfield_Gold
spelling

For the ex-military, flight line folks & pilots, was curious if I'd be in violation of some ground operations protocol. :)

:thumbup:

Not a problem and most pilots used to do it (depending on the aircraft). Harriers used to taxi with canopy's open right up to the runway. Tornado's were incapable of it as their canopy is long and heavy and flexes quite badly. That had to be shut before they taxied out.

I once saw a Phantom taxi out to the runway, line up and heard its burner kick in then cancel immediately. When I looked up the nav hadn't closed his canopy!! and the pilot was eager to go.....

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Right after the first gulf war I was working an airshow in Oklahoma City-one of the A-7 drivers landed after a performance and immediately popped his canopy-forgot about the speed limitation and it folded back over the fuselage like a can opener. Seems he had meet a young lady the night before and was trying to impress her :>

Just watch your speed when opening the "pit"

LW

Right after the first gulf war I was working an airshow in Oklahoma City-one of the A-7 drivers landed after a performance and immediately popped his canopy-forgot about the speed limitation and it folded back over the fuselage like a can opener. Seems he had meet a young lady the night before and was trying to impress her :>

Just watch your speed when opening the "pit"

LW

Canopies aren't so good as an alternate/back-up air-break then eh?

Jane's ATF Gold (1997), DCS World A-10C

M5A99Xevo, SAPPHIRE HD-7770-OC, AMD FX-6100, 8GB RAM, WIN7-64

TM HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR5, Sennheiser PC363D, MFD Cougar Pack, Samsung UHD U28D590D and Local Craft Beer

It's okay to taxi with it open just don't forget to close it before takeoff and don't ask me how I know that cause I won't tell.

I'll tell, 'cause I took off with it like that :) Heard a 'bang' and looked around trying to figure out what it was. Didn't see anything wrong and kept climbing. This was on multi, and sure enough, someone saw it and told me that my canopy just flew off.

My co-worker sitting next me worked crew during GW1. Per their BDA rules, if necessary, fly w/o the canopy.

Edited by Evil.Bonsai

Many moons ago a RAF jaguar pilot had the canopy cracked slightly open whilst taxiing out for a pairs take-off. When he landed back after a very short flight, his nickname was changed to 'cabriolet'.

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

Many moons ago a RAF jaguar pilot had the canopy cracked slightly open whilst taxiing out for a pairs take-off. When he landed back after a very short flight, his nickname was changed to 'cabriolet'.

Origins of callsigns can be quite entertaining, this one made me roll! :megalol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU - Intel 8088 @ 4.77 MHz; Memory - 128KB; 360KB double-sided

5 1/4" full-height floppy disk drive; 10MB Seagate ST-412 hard drive

JG-1 MiG-21bis Checklist

Only to show how it is specified in real air traffic, not to know it better: Configurations for taxiing is regulated in almost all wings in the LOP (Local Operating Procedures). It depends on the outside air temperature first. The commander may decide 'open canopy' from 25 Deg C on. But the most important reason comes from the technical side. Most canopies of the fighter jets are unsecured in the open position. The actuator mechanics are not designed for absorbing shocks which can be experienced during taxi procedures. The Tornado, for example, was additionally secured with a strut, mounted manually as soon as the canopy was in the open position. But I have to admit, it's simply cool to taxi with the canopy open.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

To me its a very romantic and exciting feeling holding short of the runway, hearing that motor whine, bringing the canopy bow down around you, the shrill engine noise fading, the transparent shroud finally slowing and sucking into position as the cabin seals and you configuration for take off, ready to ride into hell.

All that'd be ruined closing it too early.

8)

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

Exactly! it adds to my immersion that I have it open, all the way up until I taxi onto the runway.

I just need a scarf, and a fan on my desk/pit, blowing the wind into my face. :thumbup:

Here are a few pictures of A-10's taxing with the canopy open. This was when I was in Alaska, I didn't take these pictures.

4h56ffe6qii2kim7g.jpg

ci5ehp8fvpegq8t7g.jpg

fhfqzx1dc173imr7g.jpg

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

nice pics! I presume if these were in Alaska, those Hawg's were shuttling either to/from Korea?

nice pics! I presume if these were in Alaska, those Hawg's were shuttling either to/from Korea?

No, there were stationed at Eielson AFB, Alaska near Fairbanks. I was stationed there from Sept 1999 to Sept 2005. I think they lost their A-10's around 2006-2007, because when I went back in 2008 they were gone.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Just be careful not to get too close to any C-17's or you'll lose it pretty quickly!

Large aircraft are always bullies

:D

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..