VR/AR HMD option for real pit ?

Duckling

I was browsing for possible solutions to 'overlay' a secondary video source (IRL) on top of a viewport/in-game-view DCS (or whatever SIM being used).

When first found the zed-mini (link below) and onward to the HTC and Microsoft 'passthrough' initiative the possibilities was almost breathtaking ;-)

https://www.roadtovr.com/microsoft-is-adding-pass-through-video-to-windows-vr-headsets/

https://www.roadtovr.com/vive-pro-turns-into-an-ar-dev-kit-thanks-to-htcs-new-tools-for-front-facing-cameras/

https://store.stereolabs.com/products/zed-mini

It looks like there now is a way forward to join VR/AR SIM with a real or replica cockpit.

Ideal situation would be a possibility to define the outer boundaries for whats 'inside' of the pit and have the rest of the world from the SIM.

Even the described basic MS passthrough functionality as a 'bubbles' view peak trough windows would be more than I hoped for.

Like an inverted augmentation of a view ;-) i.e instead of present VR objects into the 'real' view, show the IRL view in VR world

Have any of you some insight of this ?

Best

/Gus

Edited by Duckling

- - - -

I was browsing for possible solutions to 'overlay' a secondary video source (IRL) on top of a viewport/in-game-view DCS (or whatever SIM being used).

When first found the zed-mini (link below) and onward to the HTC and Microrsoft 'passthrough' initiative the possibilities was almost breathtaking ;-)

https://www.roadtovr.com/microsoft-is-adding-pass-through-video-to-windows-vr-headsets/

https://www.roadtovr.com/vive-pro-turns-into-an-ar-dev-kit-thanks-to-htcs-new-tools-for-front-facing-cameras/

https://store.stereolabs.com/products/zed-mini

It looks like there now is a way forward to join VR/AR SIM with a real or replica cockpit.

Ideal situation would be a possibility to define the outer boundaries for whats 'inside' of the pit and have the rest of the world from the SIM.

Even the described basic MS passthrough functionality as a 'bubbles' view peak trough windows would be more than I hoped for.

Like an inverted augmentation of a view ;-) i.e instead of present VR objects into the 'real' view, show the IRL view in VR world

Have any of you some insight of this ?

Best

/Gus

My insight is captoglove type haptic feedback devices. You won't need to build a physical cockpit to get the physical sensations...

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Better yet captoglove or similar as hand-trackers-only synched with a physical cockpit and switches .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Thanks for the suggestions, that would be an option but baseconfig beside my humble A-10 scale 1:1 pit are a few other real warbird working simpits in scoop not DCS driven. (I.e To see inside the physical pit is required)

The quiz is if the linked tech can enable an option to VR integration with the existing Pits.

Currently configs are 3-4 projector screens per sim (flyelize warped). Even if working ok, the possibility of VR integration of physical pit and 3D VR/AR would mean better experiance a real step up in quality plus costsavings.

Captos or likewise is a good VR options but will not fill the reqs in this case

Best

/Gus

Edited by Duckling

- - - -

Has anyone used captoglove with DCS? Is it worth it?

F-14B, F-16, F-18C, A-10C, F-5E, F-86, FC3, BF-109, FW-190, P-51, Spitfire, UH-1,AJS-37 Viggen, MIG-15, MIG-19, MIG-21, AV-8B Harrier, P-47D

Persian Gulf, Caucuses, NTTR, Normandy, The Channel, Syria

Combined Arms, WWII Assets,Super Carrier

TM Warthog, Virpil VFX,BuddyFox UFC, Saitek Pro Flight quadrant & Switch Panel, Odyssey+ VR, Jet Pad w/ SSA, Voice Attack w/Viacom Pro

GeForce RTX2080TI OC, Intel Core i7-7700K 4.5Ghz, 64GB DDR4, Dedicated 1TB SSD

The Rift S is said to have a pass-through capability . I do not know if it requires a DCS implementation , however .

Nor am i certain the capability has been yet realised in the Rift software . We should get both these answers soon .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Very true. Win10 feature pack including the ’look through’ functionallity goes GA in late May within the 19H1 relaese, it has been avalible as ’beta’ for several month it seems. If this GA relaese is also a prereqs for vendor (like HTC) based releases of same type of options remain to be seen.

In my case, the quality and resolution of the feed from real world can be a dealbreaker. the option itself might offer very interrsting possibilities.

Search MS sites for in more in depth info but so far only found highlevel info.

Currently only support Monochrome low res feed (if I got it right), but it’s better then a wireframe view ;-) at least. Probably a few weeks until more info is presented

Edited by Duckling

- - - -

^Yeah the MFD resolution will be not good but at a minimum this should allow you to adjust sitting position and IPD to get the buttons close to where they are in-game. Which will be close enough for at least some functions. Between that and being able to toggle in and out of video feed, I could see this working.

Not everybody is gonna build a full fidelity cockpit but I've been thinking about building a gear/flaps panel and this is one way to make that work well enough.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder