Broken 7950

Hello

I've had my XFX 7950 for less than a week, up to now it has been working really well and has been very stable.

I was playing a mission for a couple of hours earlier today with absolutely no problems, then i started another one and i kept getting all these flickering lines and artifacts flashing on and off.

The sreen shots don't really do the problem any justice as there maybe 10 of these lines flashing on and off at any one time.......quiet severely...

Have tried re-installing the drivers, changing monitor leads etc etc, has anybody else had any problems like this with their card in the past......what is it, the card internals breaking down ???...

The card seems fine when i'm running the Windows desktop, however when i open the catalyst control center on the game video settings page. Half the setting options disappear and then reappear as i scroll up and down ?......even through the Windows desktop is ok....

Posted a few photo's to show what i mean.......

Screen_120225_195008.jpg

Screen_120225_195006.jpg

Screen_120225_195005.jpg

Screen_120225_194957.jpg

Screen_120225_194955.jpg

Screen_120225_194952.jpg

Screen_120225_194933.jpg

Tomorrow i will put my old AMD 5870 back in and see if the problem go's away, i personally think my old card will be fine....

Just wanted some thoughts/opinions/other peoples experiences before i send what i believe to be a faulty card back.

Shame as i was really enjoying this card :(...

Regards Gunner....

Win 11 Home 64Bit, i7-13700K@5.2Ghz Water Cooled, 32 Gb RAM, PNY RTX4090, HP Reverb, PICO 4, Quest 3, Realsimulator FSSB R3, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Pedals.

At this point, it could be anything.

Do you have software that can monitor the GPU's temperature? Some of what you are experiencing could be heat related, especially if you are able to shut down your computer (after experiencing the artifacts), reboot after it has cooled a bit, and everything is OK, and the desktop is fine and your catalyst controls display properly.

Just a guess on my part, but I suspect heat. As an aside, is your power supply sufficient to handle the upgraded cards requirements?

W7Ux64|i7 980X @ 4.14GHz|12GB RAM|EVGA Classified Mobo|2 EVGA OC'd GTX 580's in SLI|Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600|Assorted HDD's @ 7.2 & 10K (no SSD)|TM HOTAS Warthog|Saitek Combat Pro Rudders|TrackIr 5|Logitech G-13|Logitech G510|Logitech G700

There is a good chance that this card simply failed.

Unless......If you are using the latest beta CATs I read that they are clocking the card too high by default. Revert and test again if this is the case.

Best of luck. I am sure you can RMA if you need to.

I always go with EVGA for my Nvidia cards as they have a lifetime transferable warranty on their cards as well as a good step up program. I have stayed away from other brands as EVGA has very good quality cards and they back them up with the longest warranty. I don't think they sell ATI though. A shame.

Out

Edited by PoleCat

Yea, that looks like a card failure to me. I've had several. Two of them started out very similar to this, then got worse.

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

Appreciate your replies....

I've just refitted my old HD 5870 and everything is ok again...

I did consider that the HD 7950 card would be more punishing on my power supply, however i've rechecked the manual specs and apparently my power supply is considered adequate.

I bought the twin fan XFX HD 7950 due to the very fact that it came with two fans to help with cooling and my operating temperatures have been around 54 DegC. The artifacts/flashing lines are there from the start.....even when the card is relatively cool (34 DegC)....

I have notice that when the game has gone through it's loading screen and the game starts i can hear a clicking sound coming from the graphics card. It sounds more electronic then mechanical and stops as soon as i exit the game.

I have been using the Cat 12.3's for the past 5 days with no problems and all of a sudden i'm getting these flashing lines etc etc..

So it's a case of "RMAing" the card back to "Overclockers" tomorrow were i bought it from and hopefully getting a replacement as and when.

In the meantime it's back to my two year old faithful 5870...

Regards....Gunner.

Edited by Gunnergolly

Win 11 Home 64Bit, i7-13700K@5.2Ghz Water Cooled, 32 Gb RAM, PNY RTX4090, HP Reverb, PICO 4, Quest 3, Realsimulator FSSB R3, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Pedals.