A-10C / Nvidia Vision 3D

What about lost pixel precision? If there's a tiny speck of a tank against earth at 5 miles, could you see it as precisely as you could with a 2d screen?

I believe that wouldn't be a problem as you can't see 3d at 5 miles, so the eyes will probably get the same information for that distance.

Nice to see another 3D gamer here. Are you saying the emitter was activated (green light solid, glasses shutter) but there is no depth whatsoever? That's sad news. The game would look 1000X fold better in stereo3D. I don't know what the hell ED is doing to the A10C game but Blackshark works plenty fine with 3D Vision and my open letter to ED is completely ignored. Not a good way to deal with fan and customer. I've been buying all their products so far even back from Flanker days. An acknowledgement would be just fine, a no or a yes, really, what does it take?

I have not seen anything special with Nvidia 3D on DCS A10, I have been playing about with it for a couple of hours.

It gets a "good" rating from Nvidia which basicaly means nothing bad happens.

Also it says that target icons will still be in 2D, so no harm done there. But like I said, there is nothing special. Nothing really jumps out when you are in the cockpit, it might look better when flying with others but as of right now, I would not go out and buy a 3D monitor and Nvidia 3d VisionJUST for DCS A-10.

By all means if you want to play other games in 3D

(which I recomend - its fantastic) then go ahead and get the equipment but if its JUST for DCS A-10 then don't.

Mind you this is still the Beta so watch this space.

hope this helps!

Yes, long distances are basically the same in 2D and in 3D. You have the same pixel precision. The difference is that in 3D it will be far into the screen.

@distant, it's easy to understand they ignored you by mail. They may receive all kind of strange request all the time. But they watch closely the forums.

OK, that seems interesting, but for me its soo ofar off the distance.

But anyway 3D + track IR, how does it fair ?

Another question. Someone mentioned 3 monitor + 3d.

I didn t get it right, but i suppose you mest have 3 3d monitors since you have some strage glasses on your nose.

And finally, what about a 4 eye becoming an 6 eye ? Does the 3d glasses fit well with normal glasses ? Becoming old is a crap.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

@average: thanks you kindly. I'm glad there are more S-3D gamers joining in the chorus. I think they will listen to more wallets than just a single payment.

Rant: Even if they don't care about one single fan that buys all their products since their company inception, stereo 3D make their games 1000 folds more immersive and they do not appreciate, that I don't understand. There is no far vision on this team? Don't they know S3D is the future of gaming?

End Rant;

@distant, it's easy to understand they ignored you by mail. They may receive all kind of strange request all the time. But they watch closely the forums.

3D as in Stereo 3D (S-3D) + Track IR + big screen = Better feeling than reality. I'm not joking, the depth feel is heightened and you're concious of object placements much more than in reality.

OK, that seems interesting, but for me its soo ofar off the distance.

But anyway 3D + track IR, how does it fair ?

Becoming old is a crap.

I'm 53 and I must wear glasses when reading but sitting 6 ft from a 61in screen I don't have to wear reading glasses under the S-3D glasses. Sorry I don't know much about 3 monitors to share with you.

Kiezer, I have 3D displays for several years now. I wanted to know if there are any glitches, like near clouds in 2D, and that thing about the HUD that I'm always worried about, not decide wether if I buy a 3D kit or not. Sorry, you've come across a 3D gaming fanatic.

Anyway, go to the nvidia control panel, select 'set up stereoscopic 3D' and click the 'set keyboard shortcuts' button. On the new window, select 'Enable advanced in-game settins'. Then, after Ok's and Apply's launch the A-10. Once in the cockpit try to press and maintain ctrl+F6. You'll see :O

If you apply too much convergence with ctrl+F6, reduce it with ctrl+F5.

And if you want it saved for the nexts session press ctrl+F7

Convergence is a basic setting that is disabled and hidden as "advanced" because it can lead to some sickness if abused, but essential when you know what you are doing. Try it with every game you play and your 3D experience will change completely. :thumbup:

cheers will be looking into it the now.

And will do some more tests for ya all.

okay was trying convergence with a few titles and all i can say is "great!"...... now I see why BFBC2 is Nvidia 3D ready. :)

I guess its just playing around with F5 and F6 untill i find the sweet spot?

will start on the A10 the now.

N.B these were quick tests just to see how convergence changed things. Note it did!

Edited by Kiezer

Okay so my opinion on A-10 in 3 D still stands. While there are no glitches as far as I can see the option to play in 3D should not be taken. If it does anything at all, all it does is add to the atmosphere as it darkens everything and makes shadows more pronounced.

No funky cloud things happening so you are all right there.

Convergence didn’t help at all as nothing happened... (No movement)

mind you this is still the beta and Nvidia still thinks that the game is black shark. :)

Edited by Kiezer

Many thanks for doing it.

At least now I know for sure it's not working with S3D and no longer have a reason to to jump on the Beta preorder bandwagon. Hopefully somebody will update this thread if there's any positive testing in the future. Until then, best wishes.

Okay so my opinion on A-10 in 3 D still stands....

:)

@average: thanks you kindly. I'm glad there are more S-3D gamers joining in the chorus. I think they will listen to more wallets than just a single payment.

Rant: Even if they don't care about one single fan that buys all their products since their company inception, stereo 3D make their games 1000 folds more immersive and they do not appreciate, that I don't understand. There is no far vision on this team? Don't they know S3D is the future of gaming?

End Rant;

3D as in Stereo 3D (S-3D) + Track IR + big screen = Better feeling than reality. I'm not joking, the depth feel is heightened and you're concious of object placements much more than in reality.

I'm 53 and I must wear glasses when reading but sitting 6 ft from a 61in screen I don't have to wear reading glasses under the S-3D glasses. Sorry I don't know much about 3 monitors to share with you.

61 inch ?!? Picture or its not true :smilewink: (drolling)

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

it's true alright. It's a Samsung DLP HL61A750, rear projection type with LED lamp. Works wonder in S-3D in checkerboard mode. Better than interlaced and almost as good as pageflipping. Brightness is phenomenal and there is _no_ ghosting which is typical in LCD and CRT type monitors in S-3D. And as a bonus, it's affordable, too bad it's out of production now. Only Mitsubishi now is making DLP TV (3D Vision compatible and with an adapter HDMI 1.4 compatible as well), the only minus is the Mits do not use LED lamp, so users have to replace the lamp periodically, otherwise it's terrific as a large S-3D screen. HDTV also looks phenomenal on the Samsung, as good or even better than Sony's comparable size in some instances.

61 inch ?!? Picture or its not true :smilewink: (drolling)

End Rant;

Better feeling than reality? :huh: 3D in which you have to wear glasses is just a passing fad and will die out again like it has numerous times down through the years.

I've tried DCS:BS and a lot of other games in 3D and was not impressed.

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

Not everyone vision is well adapted to stereovision, that's the only theory I have.

Let's take a more common setup that many have access to ie Avatar (the movie in S3D), I saw the movie and love the stereoscopic effect but BlackShark in S3D on PC is _much_ better since I can adjust convergence and divergence on the fly to suit my taste. A lot of people also love the movie's S-3D effect, but there are some that do not.

How do you like the movie might explain your tendency in S3D game, but again it might not (since that is assuming that you are familiar with how to adjusting convergence and depth of the setup to suite your vision perception.)

My wife and mistresses (jk) all like it but not loving it like I do, some other friends also like it but not crazy about it. But then there are some really really dig it like I do. And there are some (visual impaired, one eye is much stronger than the other or something in that vein) just can't see the effects at all. The truth is, once I played S3D games I have never gone back to flat 3D, and it's been a long time. Nowadays I also don't go see any flat movie at the theater anymore, Netflix blueray is much better in the comfort of home and movie theaters are only for S-3D ones.

My eyes are fine and I can see the 3d effect really well. It's just there are so many detractors to the technology that it has no appeal for me.

Pro:

3d effect (which I admit is pretty cool for a while)

Con's:

Wearing awkward glasses

Visible shutter effect

Half the brightness of a regular image

Smooth fast 120Hz screen effectively knocked down to regular 60Hz

Limited to low-res tiny 1080p monitors

TN LCD panels only with horrible colors, contrast and viewing angles

Severe frame rate drop

Improper depth of image items in tons of games such as menu's etc

As you can see the Con list is quite extensive just for a sole 3d effect. Not only that, I guarantee people will be better players of games/sims in 2d versus 3d. You will not see any competitive games played in 3d for a very, very long time.

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

Quite right, and problems with game menus etc was a lot worse before nividia launched their own 3D glasses. At least now they work on their stereo drivers regularly to promote their glasses.

I myself used to turn off 3D to play counter-strike online. But I love it for single player and for simulation. Racing simulation is awesome in 3D.

Hopefully everybody will be able to use whatever they like the most. Also, hopefully 3D technology will enhance with time and will allow more people to use our natural binocular vision (that's the key! we have two eyes) with displays without all that trouble.

Just tryed some thing!!!!!! I dont know if this kinda counts as positive...but I just remembered that I still had BS installed. so i booted it up and tryed out the 3D.

now heres the interesting part. Nvidia rated it as "unknown" while it rates A-10 as "BlackShark".

Now the results for BS were amazing. Considering that i was expecting there to be nothing just like A-10, i was blowen away!

Now if BS is this good in Nvidia s3D why isnt A-10. My only guess is that it is because its still in beta. Anyway. convergance was working on BS and everything looked truly fantastic. gona playaround a bit more. catchas!!!!!!

@Kiezer: Did you run the A10C in Full Screen or Windowed mode?

I know you run BS in fullscreen, that's the only mode that works in S3D. But just in case.

Just a side note, there are people reported BS 1.0.2 patch ruin the S-3D compatibility with 3DVision but my BS 1.0.2 still works fine with S-3D.

intel Q6600 - nvidia 8800GTX - win7 32 and Zalman 3D display. A bit short. FPS falls down when large cities or high polygon AI models are on the screen. I thing I should have a second look at frazer's tweak guide to see if I can resolve that problem with large cities. It's very annoying.

Kiezer, try LCtrl+F11 view. I specially like to place the camera at the tip of a rotor blade (with engines off) and see how it pop outs off the screen. It's like I could reach for it with my hand, but there is nothing but air... so frustrating :)

BTW, ctrl+f11 is a 3d vision hot key, so 3d must be disabled with ctrl+t first and re-enabled after switching to ctrl+f11 view. I don't remember if ctrl+t does anything in the sim. These keyboard conflicts can be a little of a trouble : /

Edited by average_pilot

• 3 weeks later...

I got A10C to work in S3D

I bought the A10C beta today and was really disappointed to find that it did not work with Nvidia stereoscopic 3D, unlike Black Shark which looks amazingly good in S3D. I searched this forum for an answer and found this thread which didn't help, except to confirm others had the same experience as me, i.e. no 3D just slightly darker screen. Eventually I found the solution and thought I should post it back in this thread, so here it is:

First let me say this problem has nothing to do with ED at all (although it wouldn't hurt for them to get on the phone to Nvidia to bitch about lack of support for the A10C beta in their latest driver release).

Second let me state that you should not change your registry settings unless you know exactly what you are doing. WARNING! you can realy stuff up you computer if you muck about with registry settings not knowing what you are doing. Now that disclaimer is out the way, to get the A10C beta fully working with Nvidia's stereoscopic driver version 260.99:

1) Run Regedit (if you don't know what this is don't touch it, just wait for Nvidia to release an updated driver).

2) Go to the address HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D\GameConfigs\dcs

Make the data at above address look like this:

(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)

Link1 REG_SZ Launcher.exe

StereoDX9 REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1)

StereoMemoEnabled REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (0)

StereoTextureEnable REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1)

Make sure that when you are running the A-10 beta you have checked "window mode off", the default is to start with it on at least on mine.

If you do this everything should work now.

The above is what my registry settings look like and the A10C beta now runs brilliantly, as good as black shark, in stereoscopic 3D, on my computer (9800GTX and ancient 21" CRT at 1024*768 @ 100 Hz. No flicker at all and minimal if any shadow. I would rate A10C beta S3D compatability as excellent, apart from the missing driver data issue).

Note I am not sure if the StereoDX9 and StereoTextureEnable registry keys are necessary (but I'm not about to remove them to find out for you - I added them myself but they didn't do anything). It wasn't until I added the

"Link1 REG_SZ Launcher.exe"

bit that everything worked. I suspect this is the only bit you need to add.

Note that if you don't already have a dcs "key" (i.e. address in reg edit) as per above you can create it by doing ctrl F7 for save 3D settings when running A10C beta. Note that you add the StereoTextureEnable and StereoDX9 values by chossing "New->DWORD" while you add the critical

"Link1 REG_SZ Launcher.exe" bit by choosing "New -> Expandable String Value" (at least I think that was what I did not sure about that last one).

Good luck and don't do this unless (unlike me) you know what you are doing.

• Like 1

Sensational news. Really appreciate the sharing of this good news m8.

But now I'm kinda cool down with the whole beta preorder business, partly because of Motostorm Pacific Rift on PS3 (what an addicted fun game and the level designs work so fantastically in S-3D)+ Grand Turismo 5 is coming out in couple weeks that will likely keep me happy in 3D world for a while. When those wear out a little I might ...

Edited by distant