Preflight and pre-startup systems test run

Eaglewings

Hardly ever run those test for the modules I have and I would fly my aircrafts normally all the time. With exception of times when I want to bask in euphoria of realism, those switches are just reductant.

Would we ever get consequences for failing to run those systems tests during startup?

We the scope of the new damage model address this a increase the realism.?

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Would we ever get consequences for failing to run those systems tests during startup?

Why should you? If you e.g. don't perform the fire warning test IRL there are no consequences either, except the bad feeling that you don't know if it works when you need it.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

They're there so you can do it correctly. You can shortcut everything - but that's entirely up to you. Of course, you can also run DCS World with random failures - so maybe the checks will save your virtual life some day if you do?
A bit more craving for deeper realism on side here.

Never really tried the random failures option. Got to try that out and see.

Cheers.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

If you have random system failures enabled then yes, there are (rare) consequences. I've had ''bugs'' that miraculously disappeared on respawn. I always try to watch for abnormalities during startup.

...you never tried the random failures and are surprised there's no point to preflight checks?

Edited by zhukov032186

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

...you never tried the random failures and are surprised there's no point to preflight checks?

the random failures are a nice feature, but last time i checked they only worked in SP, which is a shame.

also i would like to see the option to have switches in different position each time you enter a cockpit. this would apply only to switches were it was plausible for them to be in a different position (ground weapon override maybe not so much...).

The only one where it matters (of sorts) is in the Mirage, where you get a nagging warning light if you don't run the FBW tests before take-off. But that's also the only consequence: a warning light.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

This is lacking in all aircraft. Eg the piston planes you can run on idle forever, irl the mags would fowl, the engine would run rough and eventually cut out, rich cuts carb icing. Non of it happens

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

Yeah, its not done very well for most planes. So you can do the 4 button startup on most planes.

I go back on forth on the random failure thing for online use. Yes it adds realism, but for alot of guys, spending 20 minutes getting in the air, only to have to do some emergency procedure because of random failure would piss alot of people who don't have hours and hours of time to spend on it.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yeah, its not done very well for most planes. So you can do the 4 button startup on most planes.

I go back on forth on the random failure thing for online use. Yes it adds realism, but for alot of guys, spending 20 minutes getting in the air, only to have to do some emergency procedure because of random failure would piss alot of people who don't have hours and hours of time to spend on it.

This!

And you might find a failure much quicker if you just start and take off even if you fall out of the skies, than doing the whole tests. But for realism it is ok. Servers should show very clearly that they use random failures though.

I'm pretty sure a large percentage of online guys just hit autostart and have a beer while chatting on discord while the plane starts itself.

Notably, I was doing my 4 button startup on the harrier once, which is very fast compared to the autostart, and some guy accused me of cheating because I started rolling before he did.

And yeah, I think servers that did do the random failures wouldn't be all that popular.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

All our aircraft are cold start. I skip some of the checks as we do not have failures on right now. But I think failures on might be an option for the future as the squadron trains up. It adds immersion in my view. I like that such things are modeled.

This is lacking in all aircraft. Eg the piston planes you can run on idle forever, irl the mags would fowl, the engine would run rough and eventually cut out, rich cuts carb icing. Non of it happens

I recall a post that apparently plug fouling used to happen on Mustang long ago, but don't know if it's still there in current game verion. Never tried it myself.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I just turned it on last week and turned it off yesterday for exactly this reason. Twice i spawned into the hornet on GR server and twice i got some dicky error/bug.failure once airborne. Got fed up left the server turned off failures and rejoined lol

I'm pretty sure a large percentage of online guys just hit autostart and have a beer while chatting on discord while the plane starts itself.

Notably, I was doing my 4 button startup on the harrier once, which is very fast compared to the autostart, and some guy accused me of cheating because I started rolling before he did.

And yeah, I think servers that did do the random failures wouldn't be all that popular.

What do you mean 4 button start up?

ex.

1. battery

2. APU

3. crank left eng

4. crank right eng

off you go ;)

I doubt if these 4 buttons would do it?

Depends on the aircraft. It's really not that complicated to get the engines started on most stuff. It's all the doohickeys and tertiary equipment that adds all the complexity.

I managed to get the 747 engines started in Xplane with that principal. Literally nothing else worked, but it was flyable. Ish.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Even with random failures it's not much different. From my experience they rarely will fail something mid flight(like single instrument or something) and pre-flight test wont prevent that neither testing fire warning or cockpit lights will do anything it will always work, and fro MP only server admin can enable that I doubt it is enabled anywhere . Honestly if one light during the lights test doesn't work, whats the chance you will notice it anyway as the cockpit is like a christmas tree :)

If random failures could make that at startup, some system might not work, some switch might be on the wrong side (simulating last pilot forgot it) and this is done in realistic manner, e.g. it doesn't happen always but there is 5-10% chance something like this to occur, then this might be worth doing the checks. Right now, random failures are more relevant to make you learn emergency procedures as they occur mid flight.

I do the full check starts tho when I learn the module and sometimes when I just pracitce offline so to keep myself more familiar with the cockpit and systems, it also helps reacting to emergencies better and remember what and where everything is..

I always do my own pre-flight checks, which are more relevant to the sim, e.g. I check if all my hw controllers are synced with the cockpit and working properly, also always do simplified flight controls check to make sure my axises are all ok, since I have many USB controllers it happens to have some default axis or button assignment to mess up my controls.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I always do full stop up procedures on the first flight of the "session". I don't use random failures for two reasons 1. I don't fly enough to need the distraction, I want to play the game... err simulator... and let's be honest "blow shat up". 2. I'm a pilot RL and "random" failures in sims (lots of FSX time) the failures are way to often compared to RL. RL does have issues but generally minimal in nature, sure you could get an engine failure but in my experience (I've never had one, worst I had was gear failure which was eventually sorted and got it out) engine failures are 1 in a huge number. My airline would have 1 engine failure in many years. Good mechanics I guess and gentle pilots?

I do enjoy the immersion of the full start up and checks etc, but mid battle i'll cheat and get going again 'simulating' that I did the check on the first flight. But to each their own. Why criticize someone for getting rolling before you... if you enjoy the full on checks every spawn, enjoy, don't worry about the others.