SA-2 vs AAA

To a fighte aircraft (be it an F-15, 16, 18, etc) what's a larger threat:

1) an older gen SAM like an SA-2, 3, or 4

or

2) AAA and MANPADS

In other words, if a target area has both old gen radar sams and low level aaa and ir manpads, should i fly high to avoid the low level threats, or fly low to terrain mask from the SA-2/3?

which threat takes priority? i've heard that its always the SAM, regardless of how old it may be

Edited by The AMRAAMer

In other words, if a target area has both old gen radar sams and low level aaa and ir manpads, should i fly high to avoid the low level threats, or fly low to terrain mask from the SA-2/3?

I would fly even higher to be safe from both and attack SAM first if A2G capable.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

A long range, RADAR guided system will kill you first, and will kill you pretty much 100% of the time if you remain at speed and altitude. You aren't getting above the SA-2's WEZ...that was the purpose of the SA-2. Ask Francis Gary Powers. ;)

It's also a bad idea to try to mask in an area with known SHORAD threats. Stay high to avoid SHORAD and stay out of the SA-2's WEZ altogether unless you have something capable of safely engaging it.

It's also a bad idea to try to mask in an area with known SHORAD threats. Stay high to avoid SHORAD and stay out of the SA-2's WEZ altogether unless you have something capable of safely engaging it.

And if I must be within the SAMs WEZ, I should still fly high to avoid the aaa and manpads?

And if I must be within the SAMs WEZ, I should still fly high to avoid the aaa and manpads?

:) It all depends on how you want to die. My preference would be to stay high until absolutely forced down. Then get high ASAP again. If the the AA defense is well designed, you're going to be mission fail until the threat from one or the other level of defense is reduced.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.