A few general questions...

Ptroinks

I've been flying simulators on my PC for over 10 years now (a proud flight sim nerd, you might say :joystick:), but I'm new to the Warthog, and I have a few questions that hopefully will be embarrassingly easy to answer:

-TACAN: I was trying to find a tanker with TACAN, which seemed impossible to accomplish. I switched to the correct channel (1X in this case), turned the TACAN knob to A/A REC, and press TCN on the navigation mode select panel. The needle on my HSI immediately points "somewhere", indicating it's recieving a TACAN signal, and I can hear the morse code. The problem is that the HSI needle is pointing in a completely different direction than towards the tanker. At first, I thought the needle was "stuck" in some way, but it points to the same heading when I turn. I made a refueling training mission in the editor, so there are no other aircraft on the map except me and the tanker. What could be wrong here? Probably user error, me being new to this sim, but what could I be doing wrong?

-AGM-65 D/G: Locking on to a target with any maverick is easy, but I'm having problems breaking lock with the D and G versions. With the EO seeker versions, I can just slew away from whatever the seeker locked on to and try again, but when the infrared locks on to something, it's completely stuck on the target. To break lock, I have to slave it to boresight or SPI, which makes it time consuming to reaquire my targets.

-Refueling: I had a reeealy weird experience trying to refuel, but instead of a long story, I'll just attach the track file. Be prepared to ctrl+z a lot! Why won't the refueling boom connect? And how the heck did the tanker manage to suddenly go into a steep dive and crash at the end?

-Checklist confusion: (Yes, I know this question has a few threads in here...) The checklists I printed from the manual are different from the procedure used in the ramp start training mission, and I've seen a lot of different user made checklists for ramp start, and now I'm just confused. Isn't there ONE checklist that can be used for EVERY ramp start to get the systems up and running in the right order? If I follow the checklist in the manual to the letter, I get a few caution lights and alerts, and when I'm done, I'm far from ready to taxi :cry:.

I hope someone will take the time to give me a few answers.

refueling-wtf.trk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Did you try turning the course knob? You have to align it with the needle and press the TCN button.

After you disconnect from the boom, press the NWS button to reset the system. Observe the air refuel lights, it has to go from"disconect" to "ready".

As for the startup, the checklist procedure is good, but once you know all systems, buttons and drill the startup flow, there's no need for checklists. Remember to engage the bleed air switch and main supply switch, they're just below the oxy supply.They are not mentioned in checklist section

Edited by PlainSight
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I turned all the HSI knobs, but nothing changed. I'm going to try that again, though, in case I missed something.

I didn't press the NWS button after disconnecting, so that explains that :).

I guess drilling the start up procedure will make it easier (Never thought about the bleed air and main supply. When should I engage those?).

I'm off to try again! I'll report back :).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

About the TACAN, ^^what Tharos said + why A/A REC?, try A/A T R and see if you'll get range information.... If not, i figured your picking up something else... Had a recent complication with this myself:D... (I LOVE this sim)

Edited by Inseckt

Help Beczl with his DCS MiG-21Bis project

by Pre-Ordering DCS MiG-21Bis module NOW!

CLICK HERE TO GO TO PRE-ORDER PAGE AT INDIEGOGO

I tried all of the TACAN modes. I got range information to "something" about 40 miles away (Edit: sorry! The range info I got, appeared only when I clicked the ILS button adjacent to the TCN button). I guess I'll have to figure out what that was. Something weird happened when I tried it just now, though. Take a look at the needles on my HSI in the short replay I attached.

In the meantime, the NWS button to reset the refuel light to "ready" worked, but it seems I'll need to get a good HOTAS to be able to maintain proper level flight and speed. BTW, what do you guys use? Thrustmaster or Saitek? The HOTAS Warthog looks a little big to be placed on a desk, so the stick seems to end up too high to be comfortable to use (if you know what I mean).

refueling2.trk

Edited by Ptroinks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I found the tanker from the smaller arrow (cant remeber what its offical name is) but there is another direction indicator thats just an arrow, not the course indicator.

Or maybe im just confused but im pretty sure thats what I do :smartass:

I don't know what I did, but I got the TACAN to work :). I don't use the course needle though (which would only work if I wanted to approach the tanker from a certain bearing), but now one needle points towards the TACAN transmitter, and the other towards my current waypoint! Excellent!

But that last .trk file I posted; what the heck is going on there? Again, look at the HSI needles...

About the question in my first post regarding the Mavericks, do any of you experience the same, or am I doing something else wrong? :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Bearing pointer 1 (which is supposed to point to the steerpoint) moves clockwise around the HSI (endless loop) while the course deviation indicator on the course arrow tries to keep up (telling me I'm too far to the left, then the right, and so on). I let bearing pointer 2 (which is supposed to point to the TACAN transmitter) lead me to wherever it was pointing at, and when the pointer turned 180 degrees (and I was at my "destination"), I was over some forest with no buildings. Maybe there's a bug there. I don't know...

I hope my english was good enough to explain that...

Edit: I don't know if this picture illustrates it better. Maybe it will just confuse you more :).

tacan.thumb.jpg.d868cbdfcc8a1d11c0f0809396f67164.jpg

Edited by Ptroinks
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ah - if it's spinning then there's no bearing data from TACAN. I have no idea what BP2 was doing, but sounds like that was over a WP. I'll look at the track when I have a chance.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

If it could help, i can list the steps I take to sucsessfully get tanker bearing. If you do the same, and still have problems, it might be a bug?

1. In the mission editor, in advanced mode in the first waypoint of the tanker, i put "set command" and "activate TACAN Beacon" and choose a freequency. Be sure no other transmitter in the world uses that frequency. I know 33x is available...

2. In the TACAN panel in-game, set the frequency 33x, and set transmitter mode in A A TR. Listen for audio code to confirm you are recieving a signal. (I am unsure about the range of such transmitters, allthough I have not yet been outside such a envelope).

3. On the navigation mode select panel, on the 2. row, switch from Steer pt to TACAN.

4. On the HSI, I now have the following information:

-Range information in upper left corner

-Bearing needle nr. 1 pointing in the direction of the tanker

-Bearing needle nr. 2 pointing to my waypoint as selected in the CDU

-course needle and readout have no implications.

You probably know all this, but if all this is correct, then I cant see why it aint working....

On a additional note, you said you had the frequency 1x, are you sure this does not answer as 10x? In your last post, you aint getting range infromation, wich would suggest you are not recieving a signal or is intercepting a ground signal in aa mode...??? I'm no expert, but thats my suggestion...

Help Beczl with his DCS MiG-21Bis project

by Pre-Ordering DCS MiG-21Bis module NOW!

CLICK HERE TO GO TO PRE-ORDER PAGE AT INDIEGOGO

I figured out how to use the TACAN now :). I don't know what I did wrong the first time (hearing the tacan morse code, but needle not pointing towards the tanker), but now I know how to do it right! Thanks a lot for all your help!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]