VDI/HUD symbology for missile launches

Knubinator

So my friend and I were in the Tomcat practicing the radar and flying intercepts against another friend in another Tomcat.

When he locked up the other plane, I got a bunch of symbology on the HUD and VDI that I didn't recognize. I think I was able to figure out what it all did, but I was hoping there was a guide somewhere that I missed that told me what it all was. To know the actual names and functions behind the symbology. There is somethat's explained in the manual in ther A/A weapons section, but what I'm looking for is all the extra stuff, mainly in the VDI, like the vertical bar, the small T, and the black circle. In hindsight I guess I should have taken a screenshot, but things were moving very fast at 1200kts closure lol.

i7 4790k @ 4.4, 32GB RAM, RX480 GTR

I fly it all.

Yea not sure about the black circle and the small T, (I definitely know what you are talking about though) but I know for a fact that the vertical bar on the VDI is just for steering purposes. Keep it centered and it will put you one the best intercept course.

I'm pretty sure the manual does talk about the vertical bar but I didn't see anything about the growing black circle or small T either...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

29 October 2009

CGNR-1705 / USMC Cobra

Semper Memoria, Semper Vigilens

Does the manual explain the various symbologies on the HUD for various modes. I cannot find it in there.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

All the symbology on the VDIG is roughly analogous to the F-15 or F-18 which you may have seen before.

The small inverted T is the steering cue, in otherwords putting this in the middle of the display means they are directly ahead. The expanding circle is the Allowable Steering Error, this will expand as range decreases and gives a representation of the initial turn any weapon fired will have to make in order to get onto an intercept path.

In other words center the T and then shoot.

Comparing to the other jets this is shown on the HUD or radar display, with a dot instead of a T.

The long green bar is the weapon range scale with ticks on the right of the bar representing rmax and rmin for the current weapon and the tick to the left the current range to target.

Again this can be seen in a very similar way on the HUD or radar display of any other teen series jet.

All the symbology on the VDIG is roughly analogous to the F-15 or F-18 which you may have seen before.

The small inverted T is the steering cue, in otherwords putting this in the middle of the display means they are directly ahead. The expanding circle is the Allowable Steering Error, this will expand as range decreases and gives a representation of the initial turn any weapon fired will have to make in order to get onto an intercept path.

In other words center the T and then shoot.

Comparing to the other jets this is shown on the HUD or radar display, with a dot instead of a T.

The long green bar is the weapon range scale with ticks on the right of the bar representing rmax and rmin for the current weapon and the tick to the left the current range to target.

Again this can be seen in a very similar way on the HUD or radar display of any other teen series jet.

This is what I figured it all out to be, but it would still be really neat to see the write up on it and how to use it with the RIO to intercept and not necessarily fire on targets. Just nice to see the documentation on it. I'm really excited to see HB expand on the manual, especially since the online version has no restrictions like the PDF has with regards to update schedules.

i7 4790k @ 4.4, 32GB RAM, RX480 GTR

I fly it all.

Does the manual explain the various symbologies on the HUD for various modes. I cannot find it in there.

Unfortunately not, although I found that info in the NATOPS manual.

No idea how RMax values are calculated though, they seem to overestimate missiles range at least by a factor of two for AIM-7.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Thanks

The Aerosoft version of the F-14 has some good manuals with relevant explanations of all the symbols. Those I am reading to get myself acquainted with dcs F-14.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

• 1 month later...
Unfortunately not, although I found that info in the NATOPS manual.

No idea how RMax values are calculated though, they seem to overestimate missiles range at least by a factor of two for AIM-7.

I printed out the entire Natops for F-14B and funnily enough, the VDIG® section appears to be for the D model, and references for more info point to the D manual. But despite this, these AA symbols that the OP is looking for aren't in there from what I can see.

The floating T puts you on an intercept course, with ACM up, it puts you nose hot.

The range bar, let’s call it yard stick, small bar on the right is max release range, the fat bar on the left is range to target.

This is a bit bugged at the moment because the scale of the yardstick is on lower left of VDI but doesn’t correspond to the range yardstick on HUD. You can still reference the range carrot and rmax however.

The floating T puts you on an intercept course

Actually, I believe that the "floating T" is calculating lead angle. You fly to place the T within the circle to compensate for the lead angle. With the bandit directly in front of you, this will put he T in the circle and your nose pointed straight at the bandit; however, during ACM, you may find you have the T centered but the nose of the Tomcat is leading the target.

I can't wait for the manual to be updated and explain all of these things in greater detail.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"