104th Phoenix - Operation Longbow - Dynamic PvP Mission

104th_Maverick

The loading times are quite long. I experienced kickbacks to start screen as well.

A good idea is (don‘t remember who to credit for this idea) to download the mission (D/L in first posting) and join the mission in SP with the asset you‘ll most probably want to fly online. Leave SP, join MP - and voilà - almost instantly you‘re in the selection screen.

A bit tedious, but it helps.

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been flying BLUFOR over the past several days and noticed quite a few of our CAP pilots aren't getting on SRS. Just because there's noone in the GCI slot doesn't mean there's no benefit to getting on comms. You can check in with other players, find out who's attacking what, and coordinate with other fighters to gain air superiority. :)

I got shot down as far south as our tanker tracks (despite owning Senaki, Kutaisi, etc). Won't be a stretch for them to shoot down all our HVAA if that keeps up.

This is just my observation but I think people got overall tired of progress resetting every time there is a restart. Not that this happens too often, but still. In early weeks of 2.5 I think we pretty much had full server on weekends and now even on Saturday EU peak times it often doesn't even reach 40. Even worse for Sundays.

It can also be pretty tedious to connect to the server if you just got home. It takes ~ 15- 20min even if you have a good system :D

Will the server be running on the open beta branch so players can have access to the memory manager in 2.5.1?

"Fighter pilots have ice in their veins. They don't have emotions. They think, anticipate. They know that fear and other concerns cloud your mind from what's going on and what you should be involved in." -Buzz Aldrin

This is just my observation but I think people got overall tired of progress resetting every time there is a restart. Not that this happens too often, but still. In early weeks of 2.5 I think we pretty much had full server on weekends and now even on Saturday EU peak times it often doesn't even reach 40. Even worse for Sundays.

It can also be pretty tedious to connect to the server if you just got home. It takes ~ 15- 20min even if you have a good system :D

I usually can get to the select role screen in under 30sec, but on occasion it can take a minute or so....maybe a fresh map / change in mission or number of players on.

Maybe bandwidth related vs good system as I have 1Gbps up/down.

Win 11 Professional, I7-12700K, 32GB DDR5, 3090, 2x 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe , 2x VKB Gunfighter mk III, MCG Ultimate, SCG, Orion 2 Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, Pimax Crystal 

2 Questions.

1st.

Are you guys going to update to Openb eta 2.5.1 both for the memory manager but also for other new additions such as the J-11A.

2nd With the addition of the J-11A for the red side would you consider bringing the Mirage 2000 back to the blue side?.

Since otherwise we will be stuck with just the F-15 as the blue fighters while the Reds would have Su-27,Su-33,J-11A,Mig-29 and Mirage 2000.

the J-11A will also very much balance things out as with its R-77 + the ability to still carry the R-27ET and the R-73 it packs a very potent weapons mix.

As the Red side no longer really need the figher capabilities of the Mirage 2000 (as they have more potent fighters) and for tossing laser guided bombs they have the F-5E (if you would change Laser code the Red Jtac uses atleast).

Maybe bandwidth related vs good system as I have 1Gbps up/down.

It is definitely not a problem with bandwidth:

I monitored UL/DL while joining and there was only normal, steady traffic in low kB/s.

But I saw that my graphics memory slowly filled.

Though, it seems that this a local issue of the misssion/theater because of much data. Whatever they are...

As already mentioned and approved:

Loading the mission in advance in SP and afterwards joining MP helps.

Using this procedure I never had a kickback to the default screen.

It is definitely not a problem with bandwidth:

I monitored UL/DL while joining and there was only normal, steady traffic in low kB/s.

But I saw that my graphics memory slowly filled.

Though, it seems that this a local issue of the misssion/theater because of much data. Whatever they are...

As already mentioned and approved:

Loading the mission in advance in SP and afterwards joining MP helps.

Using this procedure I never had a kickback to the default screen.

Well hopefully the patch today will help with the VRAM being used up. With an 11GB card I don't really notice issues, but everyone I know with 4/6GB cards definitely see issues after some time in game.

Win 11 Professional, I7-12700K, 32GB DDR5, 3090, 2x 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe , 2x VKB Gunfighter mk III, MCG Ultimate, SCG, Orion 2 Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, Pimax Crystal 

rAjrcnu.jpg

104th Radar Operators working deep underground in a secret location detected several Chinese J-11As arriving over night in to the Caucasus region to join as part of Operation Longbow.

As of this time it is not clear what the next move is for the Chinese aircraft, however confirmed sightings have been made at Krasonodar Pashkovsky Airbase of the J-11A's performing what looked to be Quick Reaction Alert exercises.

The arrival of the J-11As from China coincide with the latest NATO gunship to arrive in the region the SA342 Minigun Helicopter.

NATO commanders hope these aircraft will help to slow any future enemy movements, although the fight will be tough going with Russia receiving some serious backup from its Chinese ally.

Server updated to 2.5.1.16543.355

Edited by [Maverick]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

Greetings!

Maverick, this has probably been asked but here it comes.

What are hardware specifications for the Server? And how are you hosting it? On VPN or you bought a PC, installed DCS and you never shut-off the PC? And one more question, what is the internet bandwith, D/U?

I have noticed that your server, as populated as it is, doesn't crash that often as BF does. Also, you keep it running for longer than 3 hours (comparison with the BF) and still keep it stable. There are 0 to none laggs, and no stutters. I'm thinking about making a dedicated server with my Virtual Squadron, but 1st we need hardware specs..

Thank you :D

Hey Mav,

thanks for keeping Longbow current and up-to-date with OpenBeta, adding J-11 and BRRT-zelle!

Also nice to see a "vintage" Longbow version running from time to time like yesterday.

Having been on the original version yesterday evening, I'd like to add my votes to 2 frequently discussed options of Longbow that I didn't comment on before:

+1 for switching off client takeoff & landing server messages

+1 for re-enabling choppers to load&drop manpad teams

Just voicing my opinion, no need to start discussing or justifying matters again, pros&cons have been exchanged already in detail here...

Cheers!

Greetings!

Maverick, this has probably been asked but here it comes.

What are hardware specifications for the Server? And how are you hosting it? On VPN or you bought a PC, installed DCS and you never shut-off the PC? And one more question, what is the internet bandwith, D/U?

I have noticed that your server, as populated as it is, doesn't crash that often as BF does. Also, you keep it running for longer than 3 hours (comparison with the BF) and still keep it stable. There are 0 to none laggs, and no stutters. I'm thinking about making a dedicated server with my Virtual Squadron, but 1st we need hardware specs..

Thank you :D

I believe as has been mentioned previously, the stability comes from the mission as scripts are brought down to a minimum, meaning a lot of manual work put in with triggers

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

104th users primarily mission triggers and cuts down on the number of scripts they use (though they do use some). You can actually download Operation Longbow from the link in Maverick's post and take a look at how it is implemented, if you so choose.

My own testing developing a few missions for DoW and doing some early testing on SeaQuark's Korea server seemed to confirm that trigger based missions are more stable, at least for me. The mission trigger system is substantially lighter weight and more stable than the simulator scripting engine running large scripts continuously. On-demand,event driven scripting on the other hand seems to be a bit more stable.

Contrast the 104ths approach with something like Blue Flag which has substantially more scripts running. A lot of the scripts that have come out over the years rely on continuous execution of the script which is non-ideal in many ways. Piling them on is not necessarily the best for stability purposes.

BlueFlag stability / performance has little to do with scripts - as dcs has improved over the years so has the load required on the CPU. The scripts have been optimised to the nth degree and without them it performs the same.

I have a write-up somewhere of our script timings and the longest call is no more than 10 ms or so and most sub 10 ms :)

Our server has a 2.2Ghz CPU - so it's mostly hampered by that.

The number of active AI units also has a direct correlation - we have a lot.

Tldr; faster CPU = better performance

Sorry for OT :)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

Your server have a GPU with 4GB memory or more?
Currently no it's a 660ti with 2gb but we have graphics off on the server and I don't really see any gpu usage with gpu-z. It's around 10% usage at most. We have CPU spikes to 100% often on the core DCS is on

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

• 3 months later...

5900343884_2784baaa7a_b.jpg

BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND!

We have brought Operation Longbow back in to the fold on the Dedicated Server. Currently we are working on 'Longbow' style mission for the Persian Gulf map, when that is ready we plan to rotate between both the terrains.

Operation Longbow will run until one side wins the round then the server mission will change and host the Persian Gulf version and so on.

This will also run alongside our older missions with mixed aircraft on both sides.

Longbow Updates

• -Added F/A-18C for Blue Coalition.
  • -Added USS John C. Stennis Battle Group inc USS Tarawa.
  • -Added NATO Tankers above Carrier Battle Group.

• -Added R-77 to Gudauta

Post #2 updated HERE

Edited by [Maverick]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

Hey Mav,

i had a little idea a while ago:

Captured airfields do not have a lot of stocks in terms of fuel, spare parts and weapons.

To keep the ability to rearm/refuel/repair at the airfield, the airfield needs resupply in e.g. 30 minute intervals. For resupplies there could be a truck convoy spawning or additional transport planes, that can be destroyed. If the resupply vehicles get destroyed, e.g. one of the rearm/refuel/repair options would be disabled until the next resupply units arrive.

No idea if you ever thought of something similar to this, i think it could be a great idea. E.g. for a truck convoy, you could drop an AT infantry team with a helicopter on the main supply routes in the hopes to destroy the convoy. For transport planes, dropping manpad infantry might be a nice specops action :D