The real world Mig-29 requires full aftter stick as flare, Why ?

Hyundae

Off top of my head in the videos I've seen... no, it doesn't. But see, when you make a vague claim, more of a vague phrase, it's kind of hard to take you seriously.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Where? Looking at the various MiG-29 landing videos I've not seen a single landing where the pilots applies full aft stick during the flare.

Edited by bbrz

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

Does anyone know ?

I don't know why and I don't know if it does in fact need full aft stick. But do you mean like this video? Not saying this is full aft stick, just trying to understand your point.

Both video are set up for time, just hit play

or

or

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Especially on the 2nd video it's clearly visible that he applies full aft stick well after touchdown.

This can be noticed much better when looking at MiG-29 landings from the outside view.

From "Pilot Technique and Aerial Navigation for the MiG-29 Aircraft (2nd edition, revised and supplemented)": From a height of 10 ... 8 m (depending on the vertical rate of descent) begin leveling off, reducing the descent glide angle so as to bring the plane to the ground (stop the descent) at a height of o.8 ... 0.5 m. With a further reduction of speed bringing the plane to the ground, it is right to move the throttle to the IDLE position. Commensurate with the approach of the aircraft to the runway moving (pulling) the control stick toward yourself will establish the aircraft in landing position. The movement of the control stick in the process of leveling is significant: from neutral to almost completely "into yourself."

The aircraft will land softly at a speed of 260...250 km/h with a landing angle of attack of about 11°.

I often settle to the runway with the stick almost all the way back on the occasions I land smoothly assuming my airspeed isn’t to fast. What’s written above is what makes me wonder if the “reverse ground effect” we talk about should be there. This counteracts it.

Increase drag to help the aircraft slowing down maybe?

Exactly why it’s done there. Helps in slowing it down.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

What’s written above is what makes me wonder if the “reverse ground effect” we talk about should be there. This counteracts it.

Great info concerning the handling :) , but 'almost' doesn't equal 'full'.

Concerning the ground effect; If there's no AoA change then is must be something else.

As mentioned before, the pitch down moment might be the effect of the altered stabilizer downwash.

Have to re-test but AFAIR the pitch down occurs way too early/high for this effect to be the reason.

Edited by bbrz

Look at the landing from 0:45

This clearly shows the elevator movements. Maybe we could even estimate the exact height at which the horizontal stab enters the ground effect and needs a lot of nose up input to counter.

I would agree, that in comparison to this video, in DCS this effect seems to start early. But I am quite sure it is the same thing.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3958512&postcount=141

From "Pilot Technique and Aerial Navigation for the MiG-29 Aircraft (2nd edition, revised and supplemented)": From a height of 10 ... 8 m (depending on the vertical rate of descent) begin leveling off, reducing the descent glide angle so as to bring the plane to the ground (stop the descent) at a height of o.8 ... 0.5 m. With a further reduction of speed bringing the plane to the ground, it is right to move the throttle to the IDLE position. Commensurate with the approach of the aircraft to the runway moving (pulling) the control stick toward yourself will establish the aircraft in landing position. The movement of the control stick in the process of leveling is significant: from neutral to almost completely "into yourself."

The aircraft will land softly at a speed of 260...250 km/h with a landing angle of attack of about 11°.

I often settle to the runway with the stick almost all the way back on the occasions I land smoothly assuming my airspeed isn’t to fast. What’s written above is what makes me wonder if the “reverse ground effect” we talk about should be there. This counteracts it.

Exactly why it’s done there. Helps in slowing it down.

Great information !

On the Russian landing style, I think that the air speed more bleed off.

The special range from 0.8~.5 m to grond, lts airplnae have throttle idle and the pilot try to nearly full back stick for touchdown.

If so, Its airplne have some above the stall speed.

Most simply say, The pilot try to flare again unlike western style.

I don't know what a 'Russian' and a 'Western' style landing is in your opinion, but you do flare in the West as well.

The Russian approach requires a constant speed reduction along the glide path...at least during a visual approach. I think that’s what he’s referring to.

Edit: I guess a better way to express it may be that the West tends to fly an AoA in aircraft with that instrument.

Edited by Ironhand

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Edit: I guess a better way to express it may be that the West tends to fly an AoA in aircraft with that instrument.

Flying AoA or IAS doesn't make any difference during the approach.

In most aircraft you fly approaches in good visibility at a much higher speed than necessary.

Even in a 747 it's sufficient to reach the correct approach speed at 500ft AGL.

The Russian approach requires a constant speed reduction along the glide path...at least during a visual approach. I think that’s what he’s referring to.

This video linked by HWasp member seems to show very well the Russian style landing.

In the above video, roll out complete at 48 seconds.

From then on, the pilot seems to be trying to slow down ...

Pretty much progress at similar altitudes for a while.

If it was a Western landing style, it seemed to have a shorter touchdown.

However, it is only my thought to the last.

Edited by Hyundae

Greate information !

I made use of the feeling of Russian Pilot as you explained above, and I followed the landing.

Of course my landing was not perfect.

The Russian thinks that the MiG-29's touchdown speed is a very important factor.

My approach speed: 310~320 km/h (Real world flight manual: minimum 175 knots, entering the fialnal approach)

AOA: I'M NOT SURE

1st flare init: I'M NOT SURE (Real world flight manual: 20~30 feet)

I stopped th descent at 10 feet (I'm sure the view the track file)

Throttle to idling at 10 feet.

2nd flare intitiating...I'm use only pitching

Touch down

Speed: approximately 140 knots (250 km/h)

AOA: 12.9 (Real world flight manual: 11 degrees, Do not excced 13 degrees)

When I landed like this, the speed was definitely reduced.

The noticable is that:

1. Bouncing is reduced at the touchdown

2. The phenomenon of the plane swinging back and forth was reduced.

But in the real world, the second flare will start right after the first. I gave it a term to show it in the video.

Anyway, the developer of the dcs seems to have spent a lot of effort to the realistic landing. thumbup.gif

My video:

Edited by Hyundae

My approach speed: 310~320 km/h (Real world flight manual: minimum 175 knots, entering the fialnal approach)

AOA: I'M NOT SURE

1st flare init: I'M NOT SURE (Real world flight manual: 20~30 feet)

I stopped th descent at 10 feet (I'm sure the view the track file)

Throttle to idling at 10 feet.

2nd flare intitiating...I'm use only pitching

Touch down

Speed: approximately 140 knots (250 km/h)

AOA: 12.9 (Real world flight manual: 11 degrees, Do not excced 13 degrees)

When I landed like this, the speed was definitely reduced.

The noticable is that:

1. Bouncing is reduced at the touchdown

2. The phenomenon of the plane swinging back and forth was reduced.

But in the real world, the second flare will start right after the first. I gave it a term to show it in the video.

Anyway, the developer of the dcs seems to have spent a lot of effort to the realistic landing. thumbup.gif

My video:

Nice landing, though the 12.9° of pitch was scary, since after 13° your engines are scraping. In fact, at first viewing, I thought they had.

The bouncing and swinging seem to be related to the landing speed. The slower you land, the less pronounced they are.

I've also noticed that, with no ammo loaded, that "dive" for the runway (negative ground effect) disappears with lesser fuel levels. It's there for 50% fuel (though it seems less pronounced) and below 30%, I didn't notice it at all:

Edited by Ironhand
Replace original with better quality video

_____

I've also noticed that, with no ammo loaded, that "dive" for the runway (negative ground effect) disappears with lesser fuel levels. It's there for 50% fuel (though it seems less pronounced) and below 30%, I didn't notice it at all:

Strange. Even with 14% fuel the pitch down moment is very noticable on my install...

Btw, you cheated. Touchdown occurred without any thrust reduction ;)

Edited by bbrz

Strange. Even with 14% fuel the pitch down moment is very noticable on my install...

Btw, you cheated. Touchdown occurred without any thrust reduction ;)

Odd. I flew this this morning on a clean install (new this weekend) of the OB. Replayed the track on my old OB install which is loaded with aircraft, maps, and mods. The track played exactly the same. Maybe I’m just improving. :)

Didn’t feel a need to retard the throttle. :) Seemed to be slowing and settling nicely.

_____

Maybe I’m just improving.

Same here. Since you've provided the info how much back stick is used during the flare, and knowing that the reduced stab downwash is almost perfectly simulated, I find it easier to land the MiG-29.

I chop the thottle to idle when crossing the threshold and pull back, almost like landing a Super Cub. Works exactly as in the videos. :)

@ Ironman: super smooth touchdown!

@ All: After watching all these recently shared videos of Migs landing, I have the feeling that Russians often approach the runway on a more shallow glide slope than their Western counterparts.

Is it a wrong perception/optical illusion or have you noticed the same?

Steinsch

Flying Virtual F-15s since 1989

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/CommanderSteinsch

@ Ironman: super smooth touchdown!

@ All: After watching all these recently shared videos of Migs landing, I have the feeling that Russians often approach the runway on a more shallow glide slope than their Western counterparts.

Wow ~

It's a very smooth and seems to be realistic landing !

I also feel like teaching at a Russian flying school in a different way from the Western way.

For example, it seems that the rate of descent depends more on the pitch of the stick.

Edited by Hyundae

Thank you.

Don't quite know how to answer thatThe Russian manuals (Su-27, MiG-29, MiG-21) I've cracked open cite that you should be at roughly 200-210 meters height over the outer marker and over the inner marker at 50-60 meters. I think that's about a 3° slope (?). The same manuals cited a vertical speed of 3-5 m/sec. If you follow this, you'll be below the DCS ILS slope all the way in.

Wow ~

It's a very smooth and seems to be realistic landing !

I also feel like teaching at a Russian flying school in a different way from the Western way.

For example, it seems that the rate of descent depends more on the pitch of the stick.

Thanks. :) It felt really good, too.

_____