F-16 Videos & Pictures - Real World

JumpinK

A couple of pictures from the end of May when I was lucky enough to be invited to a photo flight with "the Dark Falcon" and the two D-Day Vipers over Belgium. What a fantastic day that was, and what beauties they are!

Vador and his Dark Falcon were overhead yesterday practicing for 13th and 15th September and the Sanicole Airshow and the KB spotters day on the 14th.

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

Just a few I have.

5JWd2ZT.jpg

lT0N3hV.jpg

lo2Hrb4.jpg

NKgrqiL.jpg

Edited by Creature_1stVFW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus MOBO||Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core, 24 Thread Processor || MSI GTX 1070Ti 8GB GPU OverClocked || 32GB GSKILL DDR4 RAM @3600 || Samsung 1TB SSD || Samsung 250GB SSD || WD Caviar Black 2TB HDD || WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD || Thermaltake ToughPower GF1 850W PS || Thermaltake Tower || Windows 10 Pro 64bit || Thrustmaster Warthog and Cougar sticks, throttles and MFDs || Saitek Rudder Pedals || Trackir 5 ||

I love these pictures. I am more hyped for this aircraft than any of the previous. So this is not criticism, just observation. I would be really pleased if anyone who has operated the Viper in any form (or even sat in one) could offer insight.

The cockpit image above shows a wonderful perspective that sims currently don't seem to grasp that well. That being just how cramped the f16 appears. The (icp?) Panel and hud seem to be far closer to the pilot than any of the other instrumens.

I've seen some images (side view of pilot canopy open pre flight) which illustrate this clearly.

I'm not a pilot irl. And I know that artistic practicality dictate just how far you can bend reality to locate items in 2D or 3D space. What methods are ED using to measure the actual cockpit spatially to transfer that into the virtual world.

The cockpit image above shows a wonderful perspective that sims currently don't seem to grasp that well. That being just how cramped the f16 appears. The (icp?) Panel and hud seem to be far closer to the pilot than any of the other instruments

This is an issue with portraying a 3D space onto a 2D screen, plus some FOV side-effects.

The only real solution to this is VR which of course gives an incredible 3D perception

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

VR is really where cockpits really show their true depth. You can’t really capture that on a 2D screen.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

VR is really where cockpits really show their true depth. You can’t really capture that on a 2D screen.

Totally agree! :thumbup:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

+2

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Found this in one of my radar books.

Air to Ground (SEA mode) from what is highly likely the APG-68. IDK the exact version, but I'm sure one of the viper fanboys here can figure it out. (This book was published in 1998.).

xR1lHne.png?1

Notice that SEA mode still has the ground return, similar to real beam ground mapping.

It looks as though the yellow returns are the surface targets.

[just a guess]The yellow highlighting could be the radar attempting to distinguish surface targets from ground return. via Doppler, magnitude of adjacent range/azimuth bins, or both) [just a guess]

EDIT:

Below is 100% an image of the APG-68 in SEA mode as well, though this time the aircraft is headed out to sea with no terrain forward of the aircraft. The green smear at the bottom is likely "ground return" from the ocean surface at high depression angles. Otherwise, at lower depressions the RF energy is more likely to deflect away rather than back to the radar. Also, water being highly absorptive of X band would limit the amount of return from the waters surface, especially at range.

It certainly looks similar to the image in my book. I think it's safe to say the image in my book is the APG-68.

FuSWXS2.jpg?1

Edited by Beamscanner