Samsung Odyssey review

*Rage*

Do realize 71 only works for him, his eyes, and his hmd ipd setting. Even if your real world ipd is 71 you will more than likely not be the same as him in game. My ipd is 61 and in order to get a proper sized vr pit im at 50 or 45 depending on the aircraft...
This thread is a true asset thanks to you guys - you never learn enough... I still have a few remarks like if any adjustment of the physical seat to match the location of the in-game virtual seat would have an impact on the HUD Reticle, but it's premature now until I receive my VR in a few days to relate everything into practice.

BiBa...............BigBang

WIN 11-64 Pro. MoBo: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING. SSD: LEXAR 790 4TB. CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K. GPU: MANLI RTX 2080 Ti. RAM: HyperX 3200 MHz 64 GB. Monitor: ASUS 4K 28"/VR: Pimax 4K/TrackIR-5/SAITEK X55-Yoke-Rudder-Trim Wheel.

This thread is a true asset thanks to you guys - you never learn enough... I still have a few remarks like if any adjustment of the physical seat to match the location of the in-game virtual seat would have an impact on the HUD Reticle, but it's premature now until I receive my VR in a few days to relate everything into practice.

You'll understand when you put it on. But to give you an idea. Look at the seat you are sitting in now. You can see where the back and bottom are right? once you are in game you use the viewpoint keys found under the cockpit view settings to make the in game seat match the position of your real seat and save it as the default. So now every time you get in the aircraft that will be the default setting. You will also have to periodically hit the default center key as there will tend to be some misalignment over time.

The easiest way to set IPD IMO is to print out the ADI indicator at it's actual size. I've attached the gauge and the dimension page for the A-10c from the mil spec book for your convenience. put the gauge in a picture frame or something that will hold it at the correct height, angle, and distance from your face so that it matches the distance as the gauge in the game. Use the IPD to make them the same size. You will have to raise and lower your headset several times. I used a tape measurer and a ruler as well because I'm anal like that. I only fly the A-10c and Huey and they are both true to size. I was a Huey mechanic back in the 80's so I'm kinda going from memory on that one.

Hope this helps.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

I’ve heard that but I built all the A-10 panels actual size for my flight simulator before I went VR. An IPD of 71 makes everything true to size. I spent some time with a clear ruler doing virtual measuring against my real panels. It’s spot on.

You should try it. Print out a true to size panel and set it in front of you at the correct distance. Match your virtual panel to it’s size using IPD adjustments. Of course make sure that your real seat matches the location of your virtual seat first. I’d be interested in what you come up with.

It's 52 for me, based on sitting in fighter aircraft IRL at Wright Patt AFB (as a reference point) and then testing for when the stick and throttle are being held the same spot in VR and RL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

You'll understand when you put it on. But to give you an idea. Look at the seat you are sitting in now. You can see where the back and bottom are right? once you are in game you use the viewpoint keys found under the cockpit view settings to make the in game seat match the position of your real seat and save it as the default. So now every time you get in the aircraft that will be the default setting. You will also have to periodically hit the default center key as there will tend to be some misalignment over time.

The easiest way to set IPD IMO is to print out the ADI indicator at it's actual size. I've attached the gauge and the dimension page for the A-10c from the mil spec book for your convenience. put the gauge in a picture frame or something that will hold it at the correct height, angle, and distance from your face so that it matches the distance as the gauge in the game. Use the IPD to make them the same size. You will have to raise and lower your headset several times. I used a tape measurer and a ruler as well because I'm anal like that. I only fly the A-10c and Huey and they are both true to size. I was a Huey mechanic back in the 80's so I'm kinda going from memory on that one.

Hope this helps.

Hmm, that's not a bad idea. I may have to give that a shot. thanks

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Hope this helps.

As an engineer, I love anal people :) , however, there's another way to perform this test that has worked for me, and doesn't require any measuring. While sitting in my sim chair, with my hand on the flight stick, I can barely see my hand moving when moving the stick left and right. I go into the setup and set the misnamed "IPD" within DCS to where I can barely see my hand as it moves the stick left and right, and that works out pretty well. I found the default setting provided a noticeably wider view than IRL, and once I made the adjustment, instruments were easier to read.

I'd also suggest binding the 2 VR view options "VR Zoom" and "VR Center", I believe they're called, to two buttons on your stick or HOTAS. The "VR Zoom" is a push-to-zoom feature that zooms back to normal when released, and the VR Center returns you head to facing forward, which you may need after flying around the sky for a while, like in a dogfight. Some people bind the VR Zoom to a switch that stays latched on, allowing them to remain in zoomed-in mode, then they release this switch to return to normal view. I don't care for this, but to each his/her own.

You'll find the 2 VR view options hiding under the Aircraft drop down menu, all the way at the bottom, under "UI Controls". Don't ask me why...that's just where they are.

You'll also discover that view hat switches or other keyboard zoom controls from your 2D control binding don't usually work in VR.

Actually, the way it works in kinda cool, IMO, in VR. You just look at something, hold down the zoom button, read what you need to read, release the zoom button and you're back to normal. Very intuitive. It also works well while flying around, to identify other bogeys or aircraft, or to zoom in on something on the ground, like the runway or helo landing pad.

One other note: some folks on here decry the fact that you need to zoom in sometimes to read instruments in VR. Well, I've got news for y'all - I've been flying X-Plane in 2D for the last couple years on a 1080p 55" flat screen, 5 feet from my face, and I'd have to sometimes zoom in to read some of the instruments then.

i9-9900K @5.1Ghz w/ 32GB RAM, RTX2080 Super w/ 8G, Samsung Odyssey VR HMD, 1 TB SSD, VKB Gladiator MKII, TM TWCS throttle, Saitek Pro Yoke, Saitek Throttle Quadrant x2, CH Pro Pedals, Obutto Ozone

Yea I have the zoom and recenter on my throttle. The only question I have is are your stick and throttle placed in the proper position (distance and height) with relation to your seat as found in the aircraft? See, Anal... ????

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

I’ve heard that but I built all the A-10 panels actual size for my flight simulator before I went VR. An IPD of 71 makes everything true to size. I spent some time with a clear ruler doing virtual measuring against my real panels. It’s spot on.

You should try it. Print out a true to size panel and set it in front of you at the correct distance. Match your virtual panel to it’s size using IPD adjustments. Of course make sure that your real seat matches the location of your virtual seat first. I’d be interested in what you come up with.

it's strange ? because i made a10c panels too at the original size and ,y ingame world scale 48 on a10c :) at that number it looks almost 1:1 :joystick:

number less then 60 will make all object bigger , number more then 60 will make them smaller . Default world scale on a10c not real , plane are tiny buttons are small

it's strange ? because i made a10c panels too at the original size and ,y ingame world scale 48 on a10c :) at that number it looks almost 1:1 :joystick:

number less then 60 will make all object bigger , number more then 60 will make them smaller . Default world scale on a10c not real , plane are tiny buttons are small

What is your actual IPD and HMD IPD physical setting? It is important that those two match. Have someone (accurately) measure the distance between the centers of your pupils with you looking strait ahead at a distant (100ft or more) object. Then measure the center to center of your HMD and adjust it to match your eyes. You need to do this before you do any of the stuff I mentioned above.

Btw. You didn’t mention what your eye IPD is.

Rcjonessnp175

I do same I start steam vr. Then dcs, at that time Razer cortex kicks in and frees up system ram. Also use process lasso like most. I'm on the newest win10 insider build and can say their is some improvement but not allot with DCS.

Thinking DCS needs to add WMR support instead of piggy backing off steam VR. It is reassuring to know wags uses the Odyssey as well. Be great to get input from him but I imagine he is many more DCS versions ahead of us.

Food for thought Wags and team have you considered getting strictly VR testers? I'd be more than happy to volunteer my time...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

Are you on Slow ring or fast ring?

Rcjonessnp175

Food for thought Wags and team have you considered getting strictly VR testers? I'd be more than happy to volunteer my time...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

WAGS i want to be a VR tester also! i have both the rift and odyssey... :)

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179