night time flying looks like dust everywhere

fitness88

Can someone provide screenshots of the differences, please?

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I posted my registry export to this topic on the second page. Looks all good. Still cannot see any difference.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

Are you all using the oculus core 2.0 beta or not? This might have an impact on this option.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb

• 2 weeks later...

I analyzed a screenshot, which i made at night and checked the colors.

The darkest color value I found (in the night sky), is:

R 4

G 4

B 4

With an ingame gamma of 2.0.

So, DCS has NO 100% blacks in the rendered image.

And thats why, we all have this red/green/grey haze.

The Oculus pushes these low values a bit, that we are able to see low values. But this makes this haze in DCS.

So, if the DCS render engine image output would be re-offsetted, we all would have a great night VR flight experience. Or just the whole range from zero should be used.

Like in the loading screen, where u have a 100% black environment and NO haze, while loading and moving the head around. Noone has haze there.

It's up to the DEVS to fix this RGB "offset".

Either the gamma calcualtion is incorrect, or they shift the picture before applying the gamma curve.

A gamma curve keeps zero values untouched. If the values would be 100% black before applying the gamma, they stay 100% black.

If u pull down the gamma as much as possible, the haze dissappears.

Is there a way to adjust RGB-curves for the oculus output? Or what the Oculus receives?

Regards

Vannipo

Screen_180712_190757.png

Even a Screenshot made in 2D shows the offseted luminance.

It's not pushed by the oculus itself. Maybe an NVidia Problem? Or just the render-engine of DCS.

Screen_180712_211436.png

Edited by Vannipo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Off the web:

This works I tried it. EDIT: this is not correct it is a problem with Oculus not DCS It's a problem with DCS, I don't need to do this fix for similar environments in other games.

But because night flying graphics are so poor in 2.5 I don't bother flying at night. I read DCS is working on the night flight issues.

It seems since the last update when looking into darkness I see a fine film of what looks like dust particles [see attachment].

I read an online article:

"the need to disable "SPUD" (Oled Mura)"

1- Disable OVRService from Task manager (Services tab)

2- Open Regedit.exe and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software

3- Right click on the Software folder > New > Key and name the new folder "Oculus"

4- Right click on the Oculus folder > New > DWORD 32bit Value and name it UseSpud

5- Set the value to 0

6- Start OVRService again and put on your headset

7- (Probably) be amazed at how everything looks clean and black

Is this still the fix?

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Back along time ago when I first created the registry entry it helped around 80%. It is still installed and seemingly working as it did.

Tx! Pitch BLACK! :thumbup::thumbup:

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Yes, but at least a restart of the whole system would fix that, I think.

I heard from other guys, that its not working for them, too.

Interesting that for some it works well and others not. In the registry there isn't more than the 1 entry, the one you created?

Did you make sure to disable first the ovrservice and did exactly as mentioned then restart the ovrservice?

I don't have OVRservice on my rig.

I have OVR service launcher and OVRserver#######

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

R 4

G 4

B 4

The Oculus pushes these low values a bit, that we are able to see low values. But this makes this haze in DCS.

So, if the DCS render engine image output would be re-offsetted, we all would have a great night VR flight experience. Or just the whole range from zero should be used.

Like in the loading screen, where u have a 100% black environment and NO haze, while loading and moving the head around. Noone has haze there.

Either the gamma calcualtion is incorrect, or they shift the picture before applying the gamma curve.

A gamma curve keeps zero values untouched. If the values would be 100% black before applying the gamma, they stay 100% black.

Is there a way to adjust RGB-curves for the oculus output? Or what the Oculus receives?

Regards

Vannipo

Screen_180712_190757.png

It's not pushed by the oculus itself. Maybe an NVidia Problem? Or just the render-engine of DCS.

Screen_180712_211436.png

R 4

G 4

B 4

Regards

Vannipo

'If u pull down the gamma as much as possible, the haze disappears'... but so does much of the ground light etc.

Yes, a bit. But this is no solution.

If u know, what gamma is doing, it just a curved multiplier. So, to get it black, u need to multiply it by 0. But, this not done by a gamma curve.

You have to keep in mind:

The Loading screen has NO haze. Why? There we all have 100% blacks. It's only in the game engine, which pushes (maybe just by a post tonemapping) the values up to 4 minimum.

I and some others have been able to eliminate the issue with the Oculus reg hack. I must also add no matter what app I'm using there is still a very fine micro screen affect [not the normal screen that we all have] that moves with your head so you always have it in your view. However most of the dust affect is gone from all the apps including DCS.

Like I said, if it's not with the Rift then the other apps have the same issue as DCS.

• 7 months later...