I can't quite bring myself to buy this

Shibbyland

Really like the aircraft, would like to buy this along with the F-86 while they're on sale but I can't really find any content for them.

I'd like to dogfight online but I can't find the elusive 'Cold War' servers I've heard about and there really isn't any single player content.

Is somebody able to shed some light on how to get the best out of these modules?

I don't need to be sold on the modules themselves, they're awesome, especially the simulation of control difficulties at high speed, it's something ive never seen in another sim. But beyond flying around and doing some instant actions, I can't see much use for them.

You are correct, there is little content for planes of that era: mig-15, sabre and mig-19.

I was forced to learn the Mission Editor and start editing my own missions .. also learned the MizEdit utility, to translate russian missions to my language.

Sometimes it is possible to convert a mission created for another aircraft, like the mig-21, onto one for the mig-15.

A big difficulty for creating missions, is the lack of period assets .. the Museum Relic campaign resorted to a non-historical story, so that the -15 could fly along modern assets. A more difficult to maintain approach is to use user Mods, like I did on my own missions (see https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=233110).

Even so, for me it has been a worthwhile purchase, i loved to experience the evolution from the -15 to the -19 and then the -21... an amazing change over a 10 year period.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Really like the aircraft, would like to buy this along with the F-86 while they're on sale but I can't really find any content for them.

I agree, there's not a lot of content for them but I still think they are still worth buying (one at a time) when on sale.

I enjoyed the "Museum Relic Campaign" and consider it "necessary" to complete the F-86/MiG-15 as they lack SP campaigns but YMMV.

I got 3-6 months out of the F-86 before I switched to another module but I'm not sure what that was in flight hours.

I picked up the MiG-15 much later and on sale, but other than basic training, I've still to make much use of it **

** Note: that's not because it's a bad module, rather I just have lots of other stuff to fly :lol:

I'd like to dogfight online but I can't find the elusive 'Cold War' servers I've heard about and there really isn't any single player content.

These are the servers I know of

There were 12+ on the ramp of the Forgotten War server weekly mission a month or so ago.

• Korea 1952 server for PvP

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=194192

• Forgotten War 1950-1953 server for PvE with custom co-op missions on Saturdays.

(Unfortunately you will need to purchase the WWII Assets pack to use the server.)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4254375

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Thanks guys, this try before you buy period has been great. I've bought modules in the past and just not liked them (AV8B), not because they're bad modules, the Harrier is awesome, I just don't like it.

The MiG and Sabre are absolutely fantastic. To be able to fly WW2 aircraft, then transition to early jets, onto more developed jets like the MiG-19 and MiG-21, then up to the more modern gear is, for me, the best part of this sim.

If I could only pick one out of MiG 15 and Sabre it'd be the MiG but this current sale and the Grimreapers promo code means if I am going to get them I may as well get the 1950s stuff together.

How did you go about learning the mission editor? I've watched numerous videos and have just found I can't get certain things like triggers to work, or make meaningful enemies.

I'm happy enough using WW2 assets for the 1950s period. It's not perfect but it'll do. Wish they had more 1950s/1960s air combat out there, it really was a fascinating period for aviation.

How did you go about learning the mission editor? I've watched numerous videos ...

I learned by watching videos ... tough not all are actually good at explaining concepts .. this series is the one I like the most:

this other one is much older, but I learned a lot about the approach to use for building a complete and fairly complex mission:

For me, the easiest way to get into editing is modifying missions made by others, for example you can take a P-51D mission and modify it for using a F-86 instead.

and have just found I can't get certain things like triggers to work, or make meaningful enemies.

Triggers are easy once you get the hang of them .. but nothing can be done about the AI, just hope that ED will eventually make it better. For A-A it is best to edit multiplayer missions and fly them with friends. For A-G the AI is ok.

Cheers.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

This is why we need a Korea map and Korea assets pack

Yeah. Would sell my (neighbor's) left kidney to see this happen someday. Would love to do some ground attack ops in an IL-10 for example ;)

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Yea I think I’ll probably give them a miss. I still can’t see those Cold War servers listed in multiplayer for me to join. I focus on single player but recently made the switch to multiplayer.

The full servers seem to all be “training” servers where there’s no fighting. Will stick with modules that have a good choice of campaigns and single missions.

Thanks anyway.

Yea I think I’ll probably give them a miss. I still can’t see those Cold War servers listed in multiplayer for me to join. I focus on single player but recently made the switch to multiplayer.

The full servers seem to all be “training” servers where there’s no fighting. Will stick with modules that have a good choice of campaigns and single missions.

Thanks anyway.

Your on stable?

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

I am, I used to have the beta but I don't want both on my hard drive at the same time. I take it the multiplayer takes place on beta does it? Didn't know that haha, that's probably me limited to single player then.

Edit: Unless there's a way of having both stable and beta installed at the same time without doubling up on the core files.

I am, I used to have the beta but I don't want both on my hard drive at the same time. I take it the multiplayer takes place on beta does it? Didn't know that haha, that's probably me limited to single player then.

Edit: Unless there's a way of having both stable and beta installed at the same time without doubling up on the core files.

There isn't, I have both installed but don't ever use Beta as it's virtually unplayable in it's current state. Other than the Museum Relic campaign (which I own along with the Sabre but haven't tried yet) there is no content for the Mig 15. An included campaign would push me to buy it instantly too as it's an excellent module.

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

I asked becuase that’s the exact reason you are not seeing servers for it. They’re almost all on open beta. The easiest way to change without a second instal is to use Skatezillas updater and that will only replace the different files. If you search MP on open beta you will see many servers the MiG-15 fits into

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

I really like the MiG-15. Together with the Albatros and the Viggen it's my favourite aircraft.

The feeling of flight is great. It's also an aircraft that you really need to keep in it's proper envelope (not too fast, not too slow) to fly well, which I find a nice challenge.

If you are worried about period adversaries, most of the WW2 assets are also contemporary to the MiG-15.

Personally I like hunting B-17's. It may or may not be historically accurate (MiG-15 vs B-17 could have happened in Korea and during the Suez Crisis) but it's fun to do anyway.

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3