The TV Show Thread

Yurgon

Let me start.

Currently watching Bosch after it was recommended by a friend. I'm in the middle of season 2 and I love it, great cop show, got a fairly realistic feel to it, and they know how to make L.A. look really fascinating.

I just finished watching the second season of "The Crown" ... couldnt help but love the actress that plays the Queen, Claire Foy:

UQ1PxGXuqjw

:)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Narcos. Excellent show, just blitzed the first two seasons in 3 days. Got the 3rd to watch when we get back from a weekend away

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

I recently watched the 3-part BBC-series House of Cards starring the amazing Ian Richardson.

Don't get me wrong, Kevin Spacey is delivering an incredible performance in the US remake, but what I really love about the BBC version from 1990 is that it is very much to the point: 3 seasons, 4 episodes each. The entire show would fit into any season of the remake. But it's not lacking anything. Quite the opposite, it's entirely focused on the story and doesn't get side-tracked. Plus, it has a clearly-defined end.

Almost 30 years later it's absolutely worth watching!

• 4 weeks later...

Just watched Collateral, an utterly British crime show. I liked it. Short, to the point, great actors, good story.

But man, the way British shows make it a point to toss the audience right into the middle of things without explaining or introducing any characters... maybe there's something to be learned from the Americans. ;)

Have been watching the YouTube oldies like, "What's My Line?' . I just barely remember this stuff having been born in 1951. What a joy to see the older cream of the crop actors of before my generation as guests.

YouTube has lots of old TV shows and some Broadway shows.

My Sony TV screen has WiFi capability off my Internet feed.

And nowadays do not suffer lousy frame rates like just a few years ago.

Current TV programming from Spectrum service, all 5,000 channels >>> damn! nothing much on that interests me.

I like the oldies stuff.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Netflix recently released season 1 of their new Lost in Space adaptation.

I never watched the original show, nor the '98 movie, so I have no prior expectations.

I like the first season and overall I think it's a good show with some great actors. What a dislike, without spoiling too much, is the traditional way of building up adversaries. Ever since the Firefly pilot "Serenity", when I feel "Oh please someone put a bullet in this bad guy's head!" I can't stand it when that feeling continues for X episodes in a row.

Come to think of it... haven't watched Firefly in over a year, I think it's about time for a re-run. ;)

Back on topic, a big plus for including Bill Mumy, who played Will Robinson back in '65, in the pilot episode of the new show in a different role. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished watching The Chalet aka Le chalet.

I liked it a lot for the clever way of telling the story across two timelines, both inseparably intertwined. A beautiful environment, great actors, the suspenseful story and of course the option for the audience to try and connect the dots before the show exposes them, all that makes it a great and memorable show IMO.

Some aspects, like people dropping dead from any type of gunshot or arrow wound, seem a bit odd.

The one thing I totally love about this French show is an aspect that US TV makers never seem to grasp: It's 6 episodes in total, and they're perfect. Perfect in that they tell the story, and that's that. I see no way for a second or third or gazillionth season, unlike just about every American TV show that has ever been the slightest bit successful. If nothing else, that is something to take away from shows like this. :thumbup:

(The methodical flaw of German TV shows, BTW, is that a) they love to tone down the color to almost black&white, b) they're boring in a near suicidal way, c) they always have people yelling in the most unnatural way and d) the story makes exactly no sense WTFsoever. When I criticize US TV shows, it's because I usually admire them for almost everything except their terrible lack of a proper ending. Even so, I'd rather watch 100 flawed US TV shows than 2 typical German ones.)

The methodical flaw of German TV shows, BTW, is that a) they love to tone down the color to almost black&white, b) they're boring in a near suicidal way, c) they always have people yelling in the most unnatural way and d) the story makes exactly no sense WTFsoever.

Sounds like something I would perversely enjoy, Yurgon.

My latest YouTube picks have been an odd dichotomy of old Looney Toons cartoons and this nerdy channel called Grim Rappers or something like that... :music_whistling:

That's all I watch except for this forum, and (coming soon!) Amazon tracking for my new rig.

And then the coffee and expectant father pacing of some loooong downloads.:crash:

Win10, MSI Z370, 32GB DDR4, GTX 1080Ti, TM HOTAS, Oculus Rift

Yes, you can feel the sun on your skin... over Vegas with mirrors on. (PD1.8, MSAA 2X)

• 4 weeks later...

Started watching Fauda, totally hooked!

Edit 2 weeks later: just finished watching season 2. By far one of the best shows in recent history IMHO. Excellent writing, directing and acting. But most of all, it's a show that highlights both sides in the Palestinian/Israeli conflict.

The co-creater and lead actor used to be in the Israeli Special Forces, and it shows that he knows what he's writing about, and how he's handling himself.

In an interview, he said he received words of appreciation for the Israeli side from Arabs, and words of appreciation for the Arab side from Israelis.

I don't speak a word of Hebrew, nor do I speak of word of Arabic, but I highly recommend watching the show in the original version with subtitles.

Edited by Yurgon

I like my scifi shows and have just finished watching Altered Carbon on Netflix. Great cinematography, excellent acting and very nice special effects. The story was altered from the books but I felt in a good way which in no way detracted from the central themes. Very highly recommended for scifi fans.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just brushed up on my nearly non-existent Spanish and watched 2 seasons of Money Heist, which is a bit of an odd title; the original title is La Casa de Papel which might just have been literally translated to "House of money".

Fairly intelligent show, great actors, lots of "didn't see that coming" twists.

Over the span of 2 seasons, the twists don't always make sense. And please someone advise the actors (the cop actors in particular) how to handle guns. It feels like they're gonna shoot themselves when they pull the guns out of the holster. Plus a horde of snipers that are unable to hit a biker at maybe 150 meters...

Anyway, cool show, better watch it while it's fresh. ;)

Unfortunately, a 3rd season is planned for 2019; it was my impression that the first 2 seasons told a complete story, but I guess the show was too successful not to be ridden to death.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It was more or less by accident that I recently watched season 1 of two seemingly similarly themed shows:

Ascension

Ascension caught me off guard with a few "Didn't see that coming" moments. Unfortunately, it seems the show was canceled after season 1, which is too bad, because I really liked it, it was a good show. A nice mix of Science Fiction, murder mystery and suspense.

Salvation

Season 1 was really cool; it pretty much held up to everything that was promised in the first episode: An oncoming extinction level event, government conspiracy, more conspiracies, and a bunch of people fighting for the planet against all odds.

The show surprised me with some great character moments and some non-boring relationships (and I usually tend to find TV shows about relationships insanely boring).

What I didn't like about the show was that most problems were broken down into a binary choice (either A or B, but nothing in between). Still, a lot of fun to watch, and it also had its share of "didn't see that coming" moments.

Of course, the visualization of most things to do with computers was as Hollywood'esque as their imagination of a US aircraft carrier. :D