ED release schedule chit chat

Dudikoff

With each day that passes, a 2017 release gets less likely. There's your estimate. :)

I'm just curious how far off is the Hornet early access release to see if it's worth to get the AV-8B now or not.

Not really a Harrier fan, but if the Hornet and the Tomcat are like 6 months away, I could certainly get some use out of it by the time they're out.

Edited by BIGNEWY

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I'm just curious how far off is the Hornet early access release to see if it's worth to get the AV-8B now or not.

Not really a Harrier fan, but if the Hornet and the Tomcat are like 6 months away, I could certainly get some use out of it by the time they're out.

I would buy it. The Tomcat is a long way off and the Hornet is going to be so badly crippled on release that it doesn't matter.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Keeping us informed is great, but I'd appreciate even more if they were meaningful. Today's update was anecdotic at best ; I'll keep waiting.

Better an update with not a lot in it, then how it used to be with ED going silent for months until they actually had things to say.

That said, I'm pretty sure weekly updates could be dropped to every other week so they have more time to work on content.

What makes you think this. Last we heard from them early access would be before the end of the year.

Cobra's statement is what makes me think so. Check their historical accuracy regarding dates for anything from an update to a release. I think their work is quite good but their prognostication skills are abysmal.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I wonder......do y'all think that ED or any of the 3rd party studios would schedule the timing of a release based on what else is possibly due to be released? What I mean by this is, do you suppose that there might be a conscious decision made on the part of Wags, Zeus or Cobra to string out the release of their products in order to get more sales for each one? Is that just too Machiavellian of them?? NAH!! :megalol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ED have the final say on when products go to market I suspect, and no doubt all developers are involved in the decision making process.

I suspect however that what determines release dates is having the product in a sufficiently complete condition. I also suspect that following past experience, they will be insisting that the modules are much closer to complete before entering closed testing prior to release.

My conclusion is therefore that it is never as simple as we think, and that there are a lot of factors governing launch dates, not the least of which is development progress. I can't see that ED would choose to allow another developer to get their product out first - as in the AV-8B and F/A-18C race. It stands to reason that the first to the market would get most sales. So I have a feeling there is still a first come, first served reality to releases.

While my comment was more or less tongue in cheek, you have not only contradicted yourself, I believe that you have made my point.

"My conclusion is therefore that it is never as simple as we think, and that there are a lot of factors governing launch dates, not the least of which is development progress. I can't see that ED would choose to allow another developer to get their product out first - as in the AV-8B and F/A-18C race. It stands to reason that the first to the market would get most sales. So I have a feeling there is still a first come, first served reality to releases."

My point is, maybe ED has more control over the release process than we think and may well decide, not necessarily which module is released first, but rather, when the next one comes out. The proximity of the release of subsequent modules probably has quite an impact on the sales of each one. I think that we have to keep in mind that this is a serious business for all of the developers and this aspect of it is very important to them. I am not criticizing them for it either, I am just pointing out the possibility of this being one more criteria for the decision to release and when.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We need think meanwhile ED don't confirm a module has on internal test and we start to see teasers / promo videos, interviews, internal tester review (approved by ED), a module will have very far away to a "preliminary release". Tomcat and other has out of discussion, surely we can see some news on December or early 2018, but a "release", actually has very difficult or get us some "surprise" news.

While my comment was more or less tongue in cheek, you have not only contradicted yourself, I believe that you have made my point.

"My conclusion is therefore that it is never as simple as we think, and that there are a lot of factors governing launch dates, not the least of which is development progress. I can't see that ED would choose to allow another developer to get their product out first - as in the AV-8B and F/A-18C race. It stands to reason that the first to the market would get most sales. So I have a feeling there is still a first come, first served reality to releases."

My point is, maybe ED has more control over the release process than we think and may well decide, not necessarily which module is released first, but rather, when the next one comes out. The proximity of the release of subsequent modules probably has quite an impact on the sales of each one. I think that we have to keep in mind that this is a serious business for all of the developers and this aspect of it is very important to them. I am not criticizing them for it either, I am just pointing out the possibility of this being one more criteria for the decision to release and when.

How do you read what I said as a contradiction?

I was stating - very clearly indeed - that there is no evidence that ED are "conspiring" to order the releases according to any agenda apart from when it's ready, it's ready. Unike your tongue in cheek comment which was completely obscure, my statements were both complimentary, and built on each other to build an interpretation of a picture namely - 1. The AV-8B is on presale before the F/A-18C - there is clearly a benefit to releasing first in the fact that people with limited finds would be drawn to buy the first released. Ergo, the evidence suggests that there is no pre-planned release schedule.

Is that not clear enough for you?

• ED Team

guys take it to PM's or a new thread

Leave this thread for Newsletter Discussion

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

guys take it to PM's or a new thread

Leave this thread for Newsletter Discussion

Thanks

BIGNEWY, I agree it's off topic, but a worth while discussion. Could you move the post into a new thread sir?

I wonder......do y'all think that ED or any of the 3rd party studios would schedule the timing of a release based on what else is possibly due to be released? What I mean by this is, do you suppose that there might be a conscious decision made on the part of Wags, Zeus or Cobra to string out the release of their products in order to get more sales for each one? Is that just too Machiavellian of them?? NAH!! :megalol:

Razor, I brought a similar topic up some time ago and a post from Ells228 from VEAO pretty much cemented my belief in ED controlling the release schedules...

Next up on the list is P-40F then likely Wildcat.

We can't discuss release dates as they have to be agreed with ED to fit in with everyone else's release schedules including ED's own aircraft.

No it's never a good idea to try and implement all systems at once so the programmers work on a specific system and implement that; hydraulics as an example.

That gets tested and then move onto the next system.

Having a base ASM helps with basic things like ADI, HSI, Etc.. As they're pretty much the same for every aircraft.

We have different teams working on different aircraft so communication is key in terms of lessons learnt on one aircraft that can go into the next and so on.

Also with updates and changes to the core sim these lessons are valuable to keep on top of the changes rather than fire fighting.

The issues we're currently experiencing with Hawk due to sim changes will obviously be resolved and included in the next module; weapons being a great example of this one.

Different aircraft have different effects with updates. As an example when ED changed the atmospheric system in core sim the P-40 couldn't breathe and the engine died.

That didn't affect the Hawk.

Stuff like that we obviously learn from and cater for it in the next aircraft.

Hope that answers your question,

Chris.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

• ED Team

I have moved the posts to a new thread now.

Of course you understand you wont get a reply from ED, release schedules time and dates are kept in house until ready for public release.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

No, only 1.5.8

Keep reading, Harrier and Mirage update is still scheduled for 29th November.

Edited by Esac_mirmidon

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

That's true but you have to figure in the Russian holidays during the first part of the new year also, so maybe it might be a little longer wait.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

From Zeus:

And I think this question is just refering to which version will support the Harrier. Which is actually quite werid because if only one version would support the Harrier the other side has to deal with it and won't have access to it.

The answer just tells us that the aircraft can be flown in both version but probably not in both on release day unless we see both current version getting updated on 29th (1.5.7 & 2.1).

Also this post is days old and at the end ED decides when we will receive an update for which version.

Right but if they are planning releases of the 1.5 for the next year is because the unification is not close.. Otherwise they simply skip these updates in order to launch 2.5 ASAP. I was expecting the big unification for this year.. :no_sad:

:huh: This is totally disappointing for me. I have unfortunately shelved DCS until 2.5 is out - in any state or condition. I really do not know what is the point to release new modules (Harrier, F-18, Yak, etc) for 3 different versions, which have different maps, technologies and bugs and do all the bug patching. In my view it is a big waste of resources and fragmenting the community as well as putting away new customers. This has to be developer's nightmare and I cannot understand that ED has remained in this state for two years and unification is nowhere near it seems. Just roll out 2.5 even in unfinished Caucassus state, patch it up in frequent incremental automatic updates, afterwards drop support for 1.5xxx and life will be much better for everyone - developers, module producers, community and potential customers.

:huh: This is totally disappointing for me. I have unfortunately shelved DCS until 2.5 is out - in any state or condition. I really do not know what is the point to release new modules (Harrier, F-18, Yak, etc) for 3 different versions, which have different maps, technologies and bugs and do all the bug patching. In my view it is a big waste of resources and fragmenting the community as well as putting away new customers. This has to be developer's nightmare and I cannot understand that ED has remained in this state for two years and unification is nowhere near it seems. Just roll out 2.5 even in unfinished Caucassus state, patch it up in frequent incremental automatic updates, afterwards drop support for 1.5xxx and life will be much better for everyone - developers, module producers, community and potential customers.

This.

Take a look at my MODS here