Save a target?

Captain Orso

Is there a way to save a target (point or area) designated in TPOD or DMT (where the carrot is pointing), so that it can be called up later, kind of like a waypoint?

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I can't think of any way right now to do this. Probably an unimplemented feature. As far as I know, we can add waypoints manually via UFC, or we can create a flyover markpoint, or we can create a waypoint offset. That's it right now.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Is there a way to save a target (point or area) designated in TPOD or DMT (where the carrot is pointing), so that it can be called up later, kind of like a waypoint?

I think its called a target point IIRC, and I don't think its implemented, I'd check the tacman for an actual procedure how its done.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 2 weeks later...

There is a way IRL with our harrier to save "Target Points", As well as waypoints, markpoints and offsets.

Quick access to this menu is the WP Seq select button. Then select the corresponding Target point on the ODU.

However this is still not modeled, and hopefully will be available whenever the JDAM comes I believe what Zeus was waiting for. The only way that I know of to access the Tpoint and save them is with the F10 kneeboard menu load, and to use from the CAS page. Obviously a work around until its fully implemented.

Thanks for the answers guys.

I don't understand what is meant by "F10 kneeboard menu load". I know the F10 default to open the game map view. I also know that waypoints set in the ME have their corresponding map pages put into the kneeboard, but of course waypoints you add yourself during the mission do not have those map pages added.

What am I missing here?

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

For the process of entering F10 map marks and "uploading" to the MFD CAS page:

and

Function seems intended for upcoming JDAM, but is working (at least in Beta) currently.

i7 9700k | GTX 1080 | 32 gb | X55 + ProFlight pedals | TrackIR | Win10

Caucasus | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Channel | Syria

A-10C | AV-8B | F/A-18C | F-16C | UH-1H | SA342 | Mi8 | Ka50 | FC3 | CA | SC | Kiowa

What am I missing here?

You create user mark points on the F10 map labelled T01, T02, T03, etc.

Using "F10 kneeboard menu load" simulates these co-ordinates being sent by a JTAC as ATHS (Automatic Target Handoff System) text messages that appear on the AV-8B's CAS page.

You can then assign individual messages (JTAC co-ordinates) to AV-8B Target Points (T1 to T4).

By switching between the Target Points (T1 to T4), you can attack them with conventional weapons and/or GPS weapons.

Grim Reapers: AV-8B Harrier: Target Points (Nav, WCS & TPOD) From F-10 Map Marks Tutorial

Note: From the video it appears T01 isn't received by the AV-8B so (for now) you should use T01 as a dummy point and T02, T03, etc. for your actual targets.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Huh this is actually working now? When did that happen?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Thanks Ramsey. I saw that in Wag's video on how to enter targets for JDAM's in the FA-18 IIRC and somewhere along the way I picked up that you can do this with the Harrier as well, because the Harrier is getting JDAM's too, although I haven't tried this method out yet.

While in the middle of an MP mission in a TRE and egressing, marking anything on the F10 Map is out of the question. That is why I asked if I could convert the point the TPOD or DMT is locked on at that moment to a waypoint/target point to be returned to later.

I know it's WIP, but there are some major issues with this F10 Map method as well. In MP the enemy can be set to not display, even if in LOS, which makes setting a marker an educated guess at best, and impossible at worst.

Getting off subject, for use on the Georgia At War dynamic campaign I was trying to figure out how to use this F10 Map method this as part of a kind of recon+pre-mission briefing for marking targets not seen on the map. In GAW they have radio menus telling you where attach missions are and these also have a marker on the map, but the marker can sometimes be off a bit and if it's a SAM sight I really want to have the radar exactly piled as a target, and without the symbols on the F10 Map there is just no way to accurately set your own markers.

What I have been doing is navigating on the F10 Map to the attack mission marker and then zooming in as far as possible and then using <Ctrl><F11> to switch to free cam view at the F10 Map point so that I can look around visually. This is my 'reconning', since there are no SAT or photo-reconn images to look at. I then move to the primary target (scroll-wheel puts the free cam into motion, mouse pointing determines the direction), pull up the status balken and set the coordinates to D°H'M".dec, open the Scratch-Pad-Mod™ (can only recommend) and enter the coordinates. Then I switch back to the cockpit with F1 and enter the coordinates in Scratch-Pad™ as a waypoint.

Works great when you are on the ground and not moving. When you are flying with enemy CAP and AAA in the area, not even possible to consider.

So, thank you again Ramsey, but I'm still stuck here.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Thanks Ramsey. I saw that in Wag's video on how to enter targets for JDAM's in the FA-18 IIRC and somewhere along the way I picked up that you can do this with the Harrier as well, because the Harrier is getting JDAM's too, although I haven't tried this method out yet.

Harrier JDAM's won't work like the F18 Jdam systems per Zeus.

Well, there are two parts to the JDAM in DCS. The first is implementing it into DCS that it is usable in MP where every single target is not already designated pre-mission as in the real world. The player has to be able to pick his targets and punch them into his mission computer as if the pre-flight crew had done it. This is what Ramsey and I were talking about; punching in the target data.

How the Harrier then used the JDAM is a completely different question and something I'd not speculate on, although I guess it won't be unrecognizable from the way it works in the FA-18 and F-16, but I think we'll just have to wait and see.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

How the Harrier then used the JDAM is a completely different question and something I'd not speculate on, although I guess it won't be unrecognizable from the way it works in the FA-18 and F-16, but I think we'll just have to wait and see.

No need to speculate. Razbam has shown us already:

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

No need to speculate. Razbam has shown us already:

JTAC CAS text messages* is how Razbam have implemented JDAMS in DCS.

Internet NATOPS Tac Manuals don't document the newer OFP that supports JDAMS but OFP 4.0 supports 5 target points (0-4), 10 mark points (0-9), 60 waypoints (0-59), 32 GPS points (i.e. Pre-planned targets) and the ability to transfer GPS data from the DSU (Data Storage Unit) i.e. nearest airport co-ordinates, etc.

Pre-planned data on the DSU can't be changed by the pilot (as it's setup prior to takeoff), but the DSU can store several mission plans/target lists and the UFC can be used to edit/create new target points, etc. after the data transfer.

At one time Razbam said that JDAMS could only be programmed prior to takeoff but it sounds like they were mixing up DSU target lists and ignoring the ability to edit the "live" data or transfer co-ordinates from the TGP.

“We are using Block 4 JDAM, which is able to use relative targeting,” explained Anderson. “The plane has new software which enables relative targeting. In simple terms, this means being able to put the targeting pod cursor on the target and then the software transfers those coordinates to the JDAM.”

https://www.2ndmaw.marines.mil/News/Article-View/Article/522816/avengers-unleash-wrath-with-historic-jdam-strike/

* JTAC Automatic Target Handoff System (ATHS)

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080