Shkval target box not tracking

J3ST3R

I've been testing a bit myself, I'm still seeing inconsistent results. Sometimes I am getting immediate locks at 6km and sometimes even in "clear" areas I don't see a lock till about 3km. I'm trying zoomed in and out, changing the box size, putting the shkval into standby and then starting it again, etc etc.

Maybe it is vehicle dependent as well? Seems I've had the most trouble with T-55/72?

Either way something has changed but I won't say that it's a bug either.

IRL locking isn't going to be consistent but it shouldn't just be random either.

Edited by monkie

Sager Laptop, i7-6700k 4.00GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 980M, 1920x1080, TIR 5, Windows 10

Same here, since 2.5 I can't lock anything. it stabilizes somehow and updates distance with laser and if I keep correcting I mostly hit the target.

But I don't get that dancing lock frame around the target anymore under any circumstances.

Not at home right now or would make a track.

4790K@4,6Ghz | EVGA Z97 Classified | 32GB @ 2400Mhz | Titan X hydro copper| SSD 850 PRO

Moments in DCS:

--> https://www.youtube.com/user/weltensegLA

-->

WELD's cockpit: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92274

OK! I figgured it out, I think! :book::smartass::pilotfly:

omg, this is so embarassing ... :cry:

I wish i had an similar easy solution, but i'm still unable to lock in most cases. I tested the campaign "Georgian Oil War" yesterday and i had no luck.

In some missions it works like a charm and i can lock everything on first try but it is not reproducable in another mission with the same conditions.

Pretty sure it has to do with the new lighting in the game since the Shkval is a daytime tv sight.

Today playing the last campaign on the 3rd mission I would try to lock up a zsu-23 in the trees (...) at 5km (labels on) away. When I locked it with manual missile authority and not automatic the Shkval box would move/drift to the left. It wouldnt let me even steer a missile manually.

Same here, since 2.5 I can't lock anything. it stabilizes somehow and updates distance with laser and if I keep correcting I mostly hit the target.

But I don't get that dancing lock frame around the target anymore under any circumstances.

Not at home right now or would make a track.

There are definitely different distances implemented for different types of target (a building and a tank can be locked at a greater range than an infantry soldier).

I think there are only two classes of object though, and there probably should be a third longer range one for buildings (so small, medium and large objects, all with discrete lock distances)

I suspect that part of the 'I don't get that dancing lock frame' issue is a rendering issue.

If you change from wide to narrow view after attempting a lock in one the marching ants are displayed, in the other not, even as you change repeatedly between them.

Cheers.

I just went away & tried...

Middle of a Summer day, new Caucasus map:

Narrow FOV

Lock a building (with marching ants) @ 9.4km - 9.5km

Launch @ >7km

Lock a vehicle (with marching ants) @ 9.4km - 9.5km

Launch @ >7km

Lock a infantry unit (with marching ants) @ 4.8km

Launch available unlocked @ >7km

Cheers.

I just went away & tried...

Middle of a Summer day, new Caucasus map:

Narrow FOV

Lock a building (with marching ants) @ 9.4km - 9.5km

Launch @ >7km

Lock a vehicle (with marching ants) @ 9.4km - 9.5km

Launch @ >7km

Lock a infantry unit (with marching ants) @ 4.8km

Launch available unlocked @ >7km

So you tried one lighting condition that has always worked...

Try winter or anything not middle of the day. Say 7am.

I'll try to get a track file later today from the mission I had issues with yesterday if someone will take a look at it.

Edited by Blindeye_03

Thanks for your helpful response :-)

Actually, the post was a confirmation of my previous post

There are definitely different distances implemented for different types of target (a building and a tank can be locked at a greater range than an infantry soldier).

I think there are only two classes of object though, and there probably should be a third longer range one for buildings (so small, medium and large objects, all with discrete lock distances)

So - yes there are different lock ranges - but only 2: infantry and everything else.

Cheers.

Okay i just tried a mission with BTR-80, outpost, Grad and Zsu-23 as targets at two different date time settings the results are;

June/ 11.59 am

Could lock all targets at 9.7km except for the grad which would not lock till ~7km (which is weird as they were parked next to the BTR-80)

March/ 10am

Could lock nothing but one outpost at 9km (strangely could lock one outpost but not the other) Ground targets only became lockable at ~5.7km

In both instances targets were crystal clear on the TV display.

Testing max lock ranges with the Shkval.

Caucasus.

Target is a Leopard tank.

Summer.

No trees around the tank.

Clear skies.

No precipitation.

Narrow FOV.

The only thing I adjusted was the time of day.

0600 unable to obtain lock.

0700 lock at 3.5 km

0800 lock at 8.2 km

1200 lock at 9.2 km

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

Didn't fly the Ka-50 for long time, but anyone tried to adjust brightness and gain with Skhval cockpit controlls?

Possible this have now effect in 2.5?

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

Had better luck locking targets last night on the last campaign and 3rd mission. Has anyone tried out locking targets on winter?

Yes i've tested winter and it would seem that the only variable is time of day, not season.

In winter 11.59am i get the same lock range as summer at 11.59am.

It would seem that there is a simple modifier table implemented where;

7.00am = lock range *.36

10.00am = lock range *.57

midday = lock range *1

etc

It seems to have nothing to do with actual visibility and actual light levels, and again, gain and brightness controls of the shkval don't seem to have any effect.

Thanks for that info Dugong. Seems midday is the time to go hunting with the Ka-50.

Night, early morning, or late day missions would seem to be out of the question if you want the longer reach of the Vikhr.

Or get good with concealment, cannon and rockets I suppose...;)

Cheers,

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

It seems to have nothing to do with actual visibility and actual light levels, and again, gain and brightness controls of the shkval don't seem to have any effect.

This has always been the case. The Shkval lock range is only dependent on the time of day, not the contrast shown on the Shkval or the brightness/contrast dials.

This has always been the case. The Shkval lock range is only dependent on the time of day, not the contrast shown on the Shkval or the brightness/contrast dials.

Not only time of day. If you play around with clouds you get really short lock distances with Shkval. I played the last mission of the deployment campaign where time of day is 10:30 with really bad weather and cloud density at max (10). When i set cloud density to 8 instead of 10 i can perfectly lock on targets at long ranges.

Not only time of day. If you play around with clouds you get really short lock distances with Shkval. I played the last mission of the deployment campaign where time of day is 10:30 with really bad weather and cloud density at max (10). When i set cloud density to 8 instead of 10 i can perfectly lock on targets at long ranges.

And additional to this: it worked fine for me in 1.5, but i can't archive a single lock in Georgian Oil War as it has bad weather in some missions.

The Shkval control with the TM Warthog is (for me) not accurate enough to kill moving targets without lock.

If this is considered realistic and not a bug, killing moving targets is nearly impossible for me without best weather conditions (eg. 12:00 daytayme, no clouds usw.) although i have high contrast in the targeting monitor. :cry:

I can't believe the locking is this bad in the real thing.

LockOn.trk

If this is considered realistic and not a bug, killing moving targets is nearly impossible for me without best weather conditions (eg. 12:00 daytayme, no clouds usw.) although i have high contrast in the targeting monitor. :cry:

Perhaps this issue with Shkval locking parameters in 2.5 will get some attention from ED in the future.

Ideally variables such as lighting, time of day, atmospheric conditions such as cloud, precipitation or smoke particulate should impact the locking range of the optical system. However I would think it might be more realistic and enjoyable to have the sim look at more of the variables before giving a yea or nay to Shkval lock on.

My 2.5 cents worth.

Cheers :pilotfly:

And additional to this: it worked fine for me in 1.5, but i can't archive a single lock in Georgian Oil War as it has bad weather in some missions.

Maybe you should consider editing the missions in the ME before playing them. A easy way ist to load the campaign, click the missionplaner, close it and go straight to the ME and you should have the right mission already loaded. Now you can edit the weather conditions and save the mission. Afer that just go back to your campaign, load it and enjoy the target locking. :)

Maybe you should consider editing the missions in the ME before playing them.

Georgian Oil War was only an example. As i build own missions, for me and some others with different airframes i get highly restricted in weather and time conditions if i want to include the KA-50.

I haven't tested yet night missions with target illumination from an A-10C. It might be impossible now to do such coop missions.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't get a lock on anything, that I could easily lock before.

Playing around with the contrast/brightness DOES sometimes help, no matter what you say or think. It does.

Though it wears out you laser faster than you can empty your launchers.

I got a few friends to buy and try the module, and it's quite an embarrassment.

This is NOT how it used to function

"Your pumping days are over, Megatron!" -Optimus Prime

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" -Vyvian

That is what I find as problematic with DCS that we don't have a contrast lock but a key subject lock. We should be able to lock on anything that has contrast, be it then a individual tree or a flying aircraft or individual soldier, as long the video system shows enough contrast it should be possible be locked on.

It doesn't matter what distance the contrast has, as for the Skhval system it is just a 2D image without distance. The limitation for distance comes from speed the Skhval camera can turn and stabilize itself, so further distance target is easier to maintain locked than one in very close by.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 2 weeks later...

I gave up on trying to get locks and just make sure the box is as small as possible and small adjustments to keep it on target.

However, the Shkval is all powerful when I can get a lock on moving targets ... it can even track through trees!

Win 11 Professional, I7-12700K, 32GB DDR5, 3090, 2x 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe , 2x VKB Gunfighter mk III, MCG Ultimate, SCG, Orion 2 Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, Pimax Crystal